Weather effects

Old November 22nd 16, 12:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Weather effects

At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

---
Davey.
Old November 22nd 16, 06:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old November 22nd 16, 07:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 22/11/2016 07:49, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

I was in a pub at lunchtime yesterday and the sky broadcast on the pub
screen pixillated and was then replaced by "No Signal" for about 10
minutes, then it came back on

Old November 22nd 16, 07:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:
On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

or it's blowing trees in the path, about

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 22nd 16, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If there is high ground in between then you can get rain attenuation in the
low clouds. Its much like you get on sat reception when the clouds and rain
are very bad in the direction you are aiming.

I've noticed this in the past on analogue tv, where snow and rapid signal
variations seem to occur a lot.

news

Old November 22nd 16, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston
were almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated
screens, with the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1
went the same way for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent
at the time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building
again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

I was in a pub at lunchtime yesterday and the sky broadcast on the
pub screen pixillated and was then replaced by "No Signal" for about
10 minutes, then it came back on

Jim

That's a close match to, and worse than, what I saw, and I wasn't in the
pub! And that is presumably via satellite?

--
Davey.
Old November 22nd 16, 10:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:37:21 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

If there is high ground in between then you can get rain attenuation
in the low clouds. Its much like you get on sat reception when the
clouds and rain are very bad in the direction you are aiming.

I've noticed this in the past on analogue tv, where snow and rapid
signal variations seem to occur a lot.
Brian

Not much high ground here in East Anglia, though, although it's not
pancake smooth.

--
Davey.
Old November 22nd 16, 10:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 08:39:45 +0000 (GMT)
charles wrote:

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:
On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston
were almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated
screens, with the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1
went the same way for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent
at the time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building
again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

or it's blowing trees in the path, about

Of those two, trees are more likely in this case.

--
Davey.
Old November 22nd 16, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:41:05 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes wet trees are very inconsiderate infact they may well be acting
as a critic on content at the moment. Most of the tv I've seen of
late is total rubbish.
Well heard, it might look pretty, who knows?
Brian

I often think about things as though they had intelligence, it makes
understanding how they interact with other things easier, so you may
well have a valid point.

--
Davey.