Weather effects

Old November 22nd 16, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Weather effects

On 22/11/2016 07:49, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

I've never been aware of rain affecting UHF TV field strength, although
it can detune the aerial.

Old November 22nd 16, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

On 22/11/2016 1:14, Davey wrote:
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

Intense rain can reduce signals but this is more apparent on the
microwave bands used for satellites. Wind had no effect on signal
strength unless your aerial is not secure.

I've never been aware of rain affecting UHF TV field strength, although
it can detune the aerial.

The JBX5 in particular

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 22nd 16, 04:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 22/11/2016 11:04, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 08:12:46 +0000
Indy Jess wrote:

I was in a pub at lunchtime yesterday and the sky broadcast on the
pub screen pixillated and was then replaced by "No Signal" for about
10 minutes, then it came back on

Jim

That's a close match to, and worse than, what I saw, and I wasn't in the
pub! And that is presumably via satellite?

Yes it was. Being a pub, it is obviously some type of business
connection but it is received via a dish.

Old November 24th 16, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Davey" wrote in message
news
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

I've also been having trouble with Tacolneston ch59 (PSB2) in the daytime
for a couple of weeks now.

Seems to improve around 1800 just in time for the Simpsons...

Anyone any ideas?

James

Old November 24th 16, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

"Davey" wrote in message
news
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston
were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens,
with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same
way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at
the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

I've also been having trouble with Tacolneston ch59 (PSB2) in the
daytime for a couple of weeks now.

Seems to improve around 1800 just in time for the Simpsons...

Anyone any ideas?

Could be that 4G is in the lower part of the band in your area. Have
you got a 4G filter fitted?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old November 25th 16, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

"Davey" wrote in message
news
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

I've also been having trouble with Tacolneston ch59 (PSB2) in the daytime
for a couple of weeks now.

Seems to improve around 1800 just in time for the Simpsons...

Anyone any ideas?

Could be that 4G is in the lower part of the band in your area. Have you
got a 4G filter fitted?

I haven't, no, I am signed up to the thingy that email you if you need one
however.

If that is the case - why would it improve in the evenings?

James

Old November 28th 16, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

"Davey" wrote in message
news At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were
almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with
the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way
for a short time.
I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the
time.
Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again.

I've also been having trouble with Tacolneston ch59 (PSB2) in the
daytime for a couple of weeks now.

Seems to improve around 1800 just in time for the Simpsons...

Anyone any ideas?

Could be that 4G is in the lower part of the band in your area. Have you
got a 4G filter fitted?

I haven't, no, I am signed up to the thingy that email you if you need one
however.

If that is the case - why would it improve in the evenings?

Update - noticed no problem with the bedroom telly, same equipment, so
figured it had to be wiring.

Faceplate was loose... couple of tightened screws seems to have solved it.

Still no idea why it only affected CH59-, or seemed to improve in the
evenings however.

James

Old November 28th 16, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 28/11/2016 18:20, James Heaton wrote:

Update - noticed no problem with the bedroom telly, same equipment, so
figured it had to be wiring.

Faceplate was loose... couple of tightened screws seems to have solved it.

Still no idea why it only affected CH59-, or seemed to improve in the
evenings however.

Is it only me who wonders why tightening the plastic faceplate would
affect anything?

You might have a loose wire in the back of it.

Andy
Old November 28th 16, 08:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/11/2016 18:20, James Heaton wrote:

Update - noticed no problem with the bedroom telly, same equipment, so
figured it had to be wiring.

Faceplate was loose... couple of tightened screws seems to have solved
it.

Still no idea why it only affected CH59-, or seemed to improve in the
evenings however.

Is it only me who wonders why tightening the plastic faceplate would
affect anything?

You might have a loose wire in the back of it.

Probably something like that.

Given my general lack of technical competence it can go in the 'fixed' pile
for now while I work out if any of my neighbours are competent in such stuff
(and see which supermarkets have a decent offer on rum/scotch...)

James

Old November 29th 16, 01:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/11/2016 18:20, James Heaton wrote:

Update - noticed no problem with the bedroom telly, same equipment, so
figured it had to be wiring.

Faceplate was loose... couple of tightened screws seems to have solved it.

You would have disturbed the connection behind the plate, and the
flylead, and the plug/socket connection, and might have accidentally
'fixed' a bad connection.

It sounds as if reception is marginal anyway. Because of the digital
cliff you wouldn't have any sign of this normally.

Still no idea why it only affected CH59-, or seemed to improve in the
evenings however.

Feeder discontinuities cause standing wave effects that are different
for different frequencies. It's all very random.

Bill

James