BBC iPlayer buffering again.

Old November 21st 16, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default BBC iPlayer buffering again.

Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox to check
connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I suppose it must be
the weather.

Old November 21st 16, 02:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 21/11/16 13:47, Phi wrote:
Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox to check
connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I suppose it must
be the weather.

No, it's either hardware or software related.

A thump occasionally works for hardware, so try that first.

--
Adrian C
Old November 21st 16, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Phi wrote:
Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox to check
connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I suppose it must
be the weather.

You don't say what source server you used for the "check connection speed".
The result will vary from server to server and depending on the paths.

The BBC used to provide a speed test page. This was very useful in that at
least it was a BBC machine. But they stopped providing it. And I'm not sure
it would have been a perfect match with using iPlayer anyway.

Old November 21st 16, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 21/11/16 16:12, pamela wrote:
On 13:47 21 Nov 2016, Phi wrote:

Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox
to check connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I
suppose it must be the weather.

My Android iPlayer starts with minimal buffering. The delay is
about 1 second. The initial picture quality is quite good too. I'm
impressed.

It's so much better than my telly's iPlayer that I sometimes wonder
if the BBC prioritises Android streams. Maybe it's all down to
serving lower resolution pictures for a small screen.

His ISP link could have contention issues with other exchange user
hammering the system for torrent downloads. Normally video streaming is
prioritised ahead of P2P stuff in peak periods, but his ISP might not
have a great hold on the situation.

This is a great example of

--
Adrian C
Old November 21st 16, 09:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 21/11/16 20:34, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

This is a great example of

.... me confusing the 'send' button for the 'save' button.

Missive ends.

--
Adrian C
Old November 22nd 16, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't know but i have had this on live radio with nothing else going on and
the actual connection to other places semms to not be the issue, its as if
its something explicit to bbc web access but its so intermittent trying to
track it down would probably be very expensive.

news

Old November 27th 16, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 13:47:50 +0000, Phi wrote:

Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox to check
connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I suppose it must
be the weather.

I would suspect Firefox.

Try another browser.

I am currently cursed with using Chrome on Android because Firefox is
slow, keeps losing focus, and tries to flatten the battery whilst on
charge. Dolphin also seems to have similar problems.

Probably down to running an ad blocker, which isn't present in Chrome at
the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

--