I had a weird dream..

Old November 18th 16, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default I had a weird dream..

That in one of the afore mentioned shared spaces somebody tried to bring a
flock of sheep through but they just went everywhere and caused a lot of
problems.
Its weird that these things still occur as pictures in my mind even though
I cannot see. It would be really great if one could actually record dreams
and share them on Youtube. Probably more entertaining then watching stage
managed stupidity in a Jungle created on a tv lot in Aussie.

Old November 18th 16, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
That in one of the afore mentioned shared spaces somebody tried to bring a
flock of sheep through but they just went everywhere and caused a lot of
problems.
Its weird that these things still occur as pictures in my mind even though
I cannot see.

The brain is a weird thing.

My wife suffers badly from travel sickness and cannot read a map (even as a
passenger) while we're moving, so she's developed a "coping strategy" of
being able to look at a map for a while before setting off and then she'll
remember it. She describes that she can "see" the map in great detail,
making decisions about which road to take and how far to the next turning,
even though she no longer has the book open in front of her. Apparently she,
her sisters and her mother all have what is described as a "pictorial
memory" (one step down from a photographic memory). My memory for maps and
pictures is useless: I can study a map for ages, even knowing I'm going to
be tested on it, and as soon as I look away or shut my eyes, it's gone.

On the other hand, I remember the view of the road ahead (shapes of
buildings, junctions etc) and so remember my way through a town as long as I
do it at least once. And if I need to work out a route that I've never done
before, it's as sequence of instructions in words: "M1 northbound, turn off
onto M18 at J35, 5 miles to A1 northbound, 20 miles to A64 north east
(York)" etc.

Everyone's memory works in different ways.

Satnavs and mobile phones are going to have an interesting effect on the way
people's minds work, because there is no longer any need to commit routes or
people's phone numbers to memory because you know that the phone will tell
you. Until the phone stops working...

Although I use a satnav for helping me on a strange route, I always look at
the map that it gives me and compare it with a paper map so I can see
roughly where it is taking me, so I can make an educated guess at each
junction if the satnav fails.

In your dream, I wonder if the sheep were on foot or on bikes? :-) Both
pedestrians and cyclists seem to stray all over the place instead of being
disciplined and keeping to one side of a pavement/road to allow room for the
oncoming traffic.

Old November 18th 16, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Can you imagine how the professional victims, defenders of "isms" and
social justice warriors would deal with a world where it actually was
possible to record our dreams and put them on Youtube?

If merely uttering a few intemperate or ill-judged words can called
"abuse" or "bullying", and sometimes land the speaker in court, how
much worse will it be when they can steal our dreams? Let's hope it
never happens.

Rod.

Old November 18th 16, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

I had a friend who was blind from birth and we had many interesting
discussions about his perception of different colours.

news

Old November 19th 16, 11:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That is because the answer is in the name. Shared. It seems to me that
shared spaces are a dead end street, if you pardon my pun, for without
physical boundaries like curbs, people take it at face value. Indeed this
was why the child was killed on one in Jersey.

Sheep on bicycles is an interesting concept which bears some thought I
think.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
news

Old November 19th 16, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, it might make us all realise that getting up tight about what people
do and say is pretty pointless as the thoughts and dreams could be far far
worse, and we had best leaearn tol live with our inner thoughts instead.

Old November 19th 16, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes so have I, she tells me that when she is told about colours she puts
different surface finishes on them in her mind to give her the
representation. What these seems to be based on is some early work at school
where they were thought about colour in an abstract sense by using texture.

Also of course she uses Braille a lot and can read with both hands at once.
I have trouble just using one because I do not use it every day and learned
later in life as well.

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I had a friend who was blind from birth and we had many interesting
discussions about his perception of different colours.

news

Old November 19th 16, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Also of course she uses Braille a lot and can read with both hands at
once. I have trouble just using one because I do not use it every day and
learned later in life as well.

I have tried reading braille - out of curiosity - and found it very
difficult to make any sense of the placement of the dots, even when my sight
told me what the pattern was. I imagine that it takes time to build up the
ability to scan the dots as you run your fingers across them, and build up a
mental image of them which you can then decode into
letters/digits/punctuation. I imagine that you start by moving you fingers
character by character, decoding each one while your finger is static, and
eventually get to the stage where you can decode on-the-fly without having
to stop to read each one separately.

Is there a standard size/spacing for braille characters, or do you tend to
get the equivalent of large characters for children and people who are
learning, and then progressively smaller for those who are proficient.

At least all Engish-speaking people can read the same braille, unlike deaf
people who use different symbols for sign language depending on whether they
are British or American, even though the both read English - and speak it if
they went deaf after they had learned to speak (eg the MP Jack Ashley).

Old November 19th 16, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

There used to be Jumbo sized, but now there is not as its too confusing.
Double sided can also be a challenge.
The other issues are grade 1 and grade 2 with the contractions, and
computer brail which has 8 dots and is normally grade 1 with the lower dots
used for style and cursor location as they pulse.

Don't get me started on UEB, an invention of the devil after we all learned
British English and are now sharing things with other so called English
speaking countries with endless changes to contractions and symbols we are
not used to.

I read on the fly, its actually easy to scrub slightly, indeed us slow
readers often are known as scrubbers, which can be mis interpreted if the
person is female.
Keeping in one place does make it harder.
What happens is that the patterns of dots tends to form into words as you
go on as long as you know what you just read you do exactly what the sighted
do and anticipate what it might say and adjust as you go along.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
news