The moon

Old November 17th 16, 09:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default The moon

On 17/11/16 21:02, Mike wrote:

Actually, the whole piece was mostly non-technical twaddle, as you'd
expect when Watchdog get into an "UP TO!" rant, problems mostly caused
by people with crap local wi-fi links, operated in tin-foil lined
new extensions to their house, moaning that "The Internets" was not running
at the speed they paid for.

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

Is that the one on loan from the daily mail, or is there another model?

How exactly did the presenter fix that families dodgy inside wireless
then? I couldn't see. Did she swap the router?

--
Adrian C
Old November 17th 16, 10:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 22:59:06 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:
On 17/11/16 21:02, Mike wrote:

Actually, the whole piece was mostly non-technical twaddle, as

you'd
expect when Watchdog get into an "UP TO!" rant, problems mostly

caused
by people with crap local wi-fi links, operated in tin-foil lined
new extensions to their house, moaning that "The Internets" was

not running
at the speed they paid for.

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

Is that the one on loan from the daily mail, or is there another

model?

How exactly did the presenter fix that families dodgy inside

wireless
then? I couldn't see. Did she swap the router?

Maybe she told them to stop trying to watch videos while sitting on
the bog.

--
Max Demian
Old November 18th 16, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On 17/11/16 21:02, Mike wrote:

Actually, the whole piece was mostly non-technical twaddle, as you'd
expect when Watchdog get into an "UP TO!" rant, problems mostly caused
by people with crap local wi-fi links, operated in tin-foil lined
new extensions to their house, moaning that "The Internets" was not running
at the speed they paid for.

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

How exactly did the presenter fix that families dodgy inside wireless
then? I couldn't see. Did she swap the router?

1. Get your ISP to send you a new router.
2. Relocate your router.
3. Update the software on your PC.

This turns 1.4 Mbps into 14 Mbps apparently. Who knew it was that easy eh?

I was f*cking outraged by this b*llocks. I don't know about anybody else.
Old November 18th 16, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/11/2016 21:02, Mike wrote:

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

And they usually crowbar in a bit about it being the fault of either
white people, old white people, males, the English, heterosexuals, or
the stupid people who voted for either Brexit or Trump.

Old November 18th 16, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

How exactly did the presenter fix that families dodgy inside wireless
then? I couldn't see. Did she swap the router?

1. Get your ISP to send you a new router.
2. Relocate your router.
3. Update the software on your PC.

This turns 1.4 Mbps into 14 Mbps apparently. Who knew it was that easy eh?

I was f*cking outraged by this b*llocks. I don't know about anybody else.

I guess the ISPs are also somewhat annoyed everytime Watchdog
confuse all the issues into one "the internet is slow" story. I
bet they get lots of calls from customers asking for "what they paid
for" speeds, threatening to leave for a faster ISP etc.

Hey Watchdog, why is it I can download at 19+ Mbps from sites
around the UK, but if I try and download video from the BBC's iPlayer
on evenings, it doesn't get anywhere NEAR that speed?

I demand the BBC provide the full speed of iPlayer! After all, if I'm
paying for "up to 24 megapipes" then I should be getting them from EVERY
part of the internet. No exemption for the BBC ...

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old November 18th 16, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 20:18:56 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 17/11/2016 21:02, Mike wrote:

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

And they usually crowbar in a bit about it being the fault of either
white people, old white people, males, the English, heterosexuals, or
the stupid people who voted for either Brexit or Trump.

Bill

Yes Bill - it's all your fault!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old November 18th 16, 10:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:00:10 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe
wrote:

How exactly did the presenter fix that families dodgy inside wireless
then? I couldn't see. Did she swap the router?

1. Get your ISP to send you a new router.
2. Relocate your router.
3. Update the software on your PC.

In my case, just 1. and 2. and forget 3. as there's nothing wrong with
the software on my computers, phone, tablet, laptop, internet radio,
or the wireless ethernet bridge I was using at the time for the backup
drives, and it would be too much hassle to change them all, and too
much of a coincidence if they were all equally faulty anyway. My
version of 1. was actually "Buy a better router of my own choice", as
the ones supplied by ISPs are probably whatever is most profitable for
them to obtain in bulk.

By far the biggest improvement in any wireless system is likely to be
obtained by careful location of the wireless access point, whether
it's a standalone or contained in a router or hub. Wireless works the
same way as it did when Marconi discovered how to use it, and
broadcasters don't put their transmitters at the bottoms of valleys,
but usually at the tops of the nearest available hills. Common sense
says there must be a reason for this. A router in a corner behind the
telly (because that's where it's convenient to drill the hole) is
never going to work very well.

Old November 19th 16, 02:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

On 17/11/2016 21:02, Mike wrote:

All stoked up by the BBC outrage generator machine

And they usually crowbar in a bit about it being the fault of either
white people, old white people, males, the English, heterosexuals, or
the stupid people who voted for either Brexit or Trump.

Bill

Yes Bill - it's all your fault!

I know. I feel such guilt. As a white, old, northern, heterosexual
motorist I am one of the despicables, there's no doubt.

Old November 19th 16, 02:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 18/11/2016 23:43, Roderick Stewart wrote:

broadcasters don't put their transmitters at the bottoms of valleys,

Not usually. But sometimes.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1525

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...165&pageid=535