RNIB Connect Radio too loud

Old November 12th 16, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default RNIB Connect Radio too loud

What is going on on the radio channels of freeview. the audio levels are all
over the place recently, and most are louder than any of the TV sound
channels, but RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on Freeview seems
to be much louder than all the others. People have told them many times but
they claim there is no way they can change it It sounds better on the
internet, but the freeview output is kind of also a bit analogue line like
in its sound. A sound much like one used to here on Eurovision before it was
digital.

Old November 12th 16, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:18:23 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

What is going on on the radio channels of freeview. the audio levels
are all over the place recently, and most are louder than any of the
TV sound channels, but RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on
Freeview seems to be much louder than all the others. People have
told them many times but they claim there is no way they can change
it It sounds better on the internet, but the freeview output is kind
of also a bit analogue line like in its sound. A sound much like one
used to here on Eurovision before it was digital.
Brian

We get this problem with Drama channel late at night. One minute you
can't hear it, so you turn the volume up, and then there is music, which
throws you back against the wall.
There is supposed to be some kind of automatic volume control on the
set, but it can't cope with this.

--
Davey.
Old November 12th 16, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on Freeview seems
to be much louder than all the others

Doesn't seem any louder than the channels either side of it to me.
Old November 13th 16, 08:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In them old days of yore when engineers all had screwdrivers, there was
adjustments to be made to compensate for things. Nowadays as a scan through
the bbc local radio channels in early weekday evenings will show you about
20 Db differences occur on the same programme, and the compression is all
over the place.

In the case of Freeview, I know what you mean about the UKTV channels like
really and Drama Yesterday etc, but on the radio the problem is permanently
there all the time.

news

Old November 13th 16, 08:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, maybe its something oddgoing on at Crystal Palace then, but most of
the people I know live near me and have all commented on its volume.

Old December 3rd 16, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

What is going on on the radio channels of freeview. the audio levels
are all over the place recently, and most are louder than any of the
TV sound channels, but RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on
Freeview seems to be much louder than all the others. People have
told them many times but they claim there is no way they can change
it It sounds better on the internet, but the freeview output is kind
of also a bit analogue line like in its sound. A sound much like one
used to here on Eurovision before it was digital.
Brian

We get this problem with Drama channel late at night. One minute you
can't hear it, so you turn the volume up, and then there is music, which
throws you back against the wall.
There is supposed to be some kind of automatic volume control on the
set, but it can't cope with this.

Are you referring to DRC (dynamic range control)? My understanding is
that the stations don't implement it.