[OT] Is anyone using kaffeine 2?

Old November 10th 16, 11:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default [OT] Is anyone using kaffeine 2?

I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on
both kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6.

I would like to compare notes with other users.

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Old November 11th 16, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:19:29 +0000, pinnerite
wrote:

I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on
both kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6.

I would like to compare notes with other users.

Had a cup of coffee at lunchtime if that counts.
Old November 12th 16, 03:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:19:29 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on both
kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6.

I would like to compare notes with other users.

I'm still using Kaffeine 1.2.2 with Linux Mint KDE 17.1. The only
problems I've had[1] were with regard to the twin tuner Kworld DVBT-1
tuner 'dropping out' a few weeks ago after over a year of trouble free PVR
duty.

The first time it happened, despite my suspicions of an iffy contact in
the PCI slot, I did a warm reboot of the OS which got it going for a day
or three before I started seeing 0 byte recordings again. This time I
shut the system down so I could reseat the card (and clean the edge
contacts with an india-rubber pencil eraser).

Last night (this Friday), I noticed the same thing with the "Eggheads"
scheduled recording (a wasted slot on account of the dancin' crap - ICBA
altering the 5 days a week repeat schedule for that interloper) but not
the preceding "Dolphins - Spy in the Pod" recording a few hours earlier.

This time, I did a full shutdown (including power off) reboot and
everything went back to normal. Whilst 'watching Live', I jiggled the
card by the antenna socket to see whether it was a repeat bad contacts
issue and it carried on undisturbed[2]. A fact that, in itself, was
slightly disturbing since it implied that some other random cause for the
adapter's dropping out was responsible this time around.

It looks like I'm going to having to watch the home folder's contents
like a hawk from now on to look out for more zero length files. The
previous 18 months have been glitch free (apart from forgetting to
provide a temporary power hook up to the distribution amp in the attic
when working on the basement, 1st and 2nd floor lighting circuit that
powers the 13A socket (via a 3A fused CU box) rigged up in said attic for
just this purpose), so I'm not overjoyed at this loss in rock solid
stability right now.

I'm still on version 1.2.2 because I haven't been offered an update via
the software manager's auto-update service. I guess it might be worth
checking whether there's any compelling reason to update it to ver 2.0.x
(but not if it's been cursed with a bug or three).

Have you tried reverting back to the previous version? What issues have
you been seeing? Aside from possible bugs, does the new version offer any
worthwhile advantages?

[1] I don't count the "feature" of not updating the EPG until you watch a
'Live Stream' as a bug (the EPG eventually 'runs dry' if you leave it
just running as a PVR - this doesn't effect regular programmes such as
Eggheads set up to record every Monday to Friday but if you're recording
the more eclectically scheduled random length mini-series and one offs
(and their repeats) on BBC4, you obviously need to see the next 7 days of
EPG listings which only updates by actually watching 'Live TV' for 5
minutes or so at a time. A minor, if slightly irritating requirement to
keep the EPG database up to date, hence "Feature" rather than "Bug". :-)

[2] I've just checked that the adapter is working just now, some 10 hours
or so later, and I'm still able to conjure up a Live TV stream from the
BBC2 channel I normally leave it parked on. So far, so good. I'll just
have to keep a more watchful eye on it over the next few weeks or so.
I've got a feeling I'll be giving the system an early 'spring cleaning'
within the next month or so anyway which will give me the opportunity to
do a more thorough reseating exercise of everything that's prey to
connector problems in a desktop PC.

--
Johnny B Good
Old November 12th 16, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 04:38:14 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:19:29 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on both
kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6.

I would like to compare notes with other users.

I'm still using Kaffeine 1.2.2 with Linux Mint KDE 17.1. The only
problems I've had[1] were with regard to the twin tuner Kworld DVBT-1
tuner 'dropping out' a few weeks ago after over a year of trouble free
PVR duty.

The first time it happened, despite my suspicions of an iffy contact in
the PCI slot, I did a warm reboot of the OS which got it going for a day
or three before I started seeing 0 byte recordings again. This time I
shut the system down so I could reseat the card (and clean the edge
contacts with an india-rubber pencil eraser).

//SNIPPED//

1) My dropped connections were with mythtv on Mageia Linux 5. I cannot
recall whether it was so with kaffeine 1.2.2 as well.

2) My decision to try kaffeine 2.0.5 (now) is that it supports HD
channels. The problem was that either the card drivers would either not
compile under kernels 4.7 or 4.8 on all of the newest distros that I ran
up or the modules wouldn't show up in dmesg.

3) I finally decided to stick with the current beta of Mageia 6 in the
hopes of it just updating as bugs were overcome.

4) Eventually TBS compiled and installed the drivers remotely but didn't
tell me what they did that I hadn't. I had been doing it with every new
kernel for over three years so it is a bit discomforting.

5) However kaffeine 2.0.5 just will not work as expected. It 'sees' the
TBS tuners but tryng to set the source where I am, in the UK London area
is impossible. The scanfile utility collects a huge file from the
internet that includes, as far as I can tell every country under the sun
except the uk. I selected its autoscan setting but that achieved nothing.

I then discovered that whereas in the past the config files were held at
~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine they now appeared to be held at ~/.local/
share/kaffeine. At least those are the ones that get updated.

So in desperation I edited config.dvb and changed scanSource to
scanSource=uk-CrystalPalace and pasted the crystal palace settings from
the version 1.2.2 into scanfile.dvb.

I would like to report that all this helped but it didn't.
When I run a channel scan it seems to be searching bit finds nothing.

There is no active forum even including kde.org so I am pretty cheesed
off with it.

--
kubuntu 16.10 for x86_64, Kernel: 4.8.0-22-generic
KDE5 5.8.2 running on an Intel core-3 processor

Old November 12th 16, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:55:46 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

There is no active forum even including kde.org so I am pretty cheesed
off with it.

Is alt.os.linux.ubuntu any good to you?
Old November 13th 16, 03:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

[...]

My earlier experiences with MythTV didn't go too well for me. I found it
all rather too fussy with the set up tasks. My later attempts with an 11
year old laptop ran into problems due to lack of power management driver
support (to the extent that I always had to manually complete the shutdown
on the power button). I think I may revisit this (or whatever it may be
known as by the time I get another round tuit with a carefully chosen
Linux compatible laptop).

Kaffeine is more my speed as far as configuration complexity goes (and
it's a far cry from the windows equivalent "DTVR" TV recording software I
used to use for the best part of a decade prior to upgrading from win2k
to Linux Mint, April last year, when a major hardware upgrade finally
proved an upgrade too far for win2k to survive).

Prior experience with Kaffeine harks back some 5 or 6 years when I
started testing Ubuntu on an al fresco test setup to prepare myself for
win2k's ultimate demise. I was testing virtualisation using Oracle's
Virtualbox and a win2k and a winXP VM so as to ease the transition from
Microsoft to Linux.

I also dropped that Kworld twin tuner DVB-T adapter into a PCI slot so I
could use it to resolve recording scheduling conflicts that I couldn't
resolve using DTVR on both my desktop and laptop machines (both running
win2k). The thing was, I had to be very careful not to mechanically
disturb this al fresco setup since the DVB-T adapter was rather wobbly in
the absence of a case expansion slot by which to firmly anchor it in
place.

It usually managed to stay up long enough to resolve the scheduling
conflicts but I did see it drop out often enough from being wobbled a bit
too much in its slot, requiring a shut down so I could reseat the adapter
and line up the TV co-ax so as to help it stay leaned over to one side to
reduce the wobblyness to a minimum. I was only too pleased to finally be
able to mount it in my desktop case when that last upgrade forced me to
at last give up win2k in favour of LM 17.0. I'd finally be able to
eliminate PCI slot connector issues from the stability equation and see
its true potential as a stable PVR platform (I had never been able to use
that Kworld adapter with win2k due to lack of driver support).

I'd been using it this way for a good 2 or 3 years before discovering
(quite by accident) that Kaffeine could record every BBC SD TV channel
from the one multiplex without the need for a second tuner shortly before
that fateful upgrade (and also the fact that I could also employ
overlapping paddings entirely conflict free to boot!!! - all
impossibilities in the windows world of PVR software).

2) My decision to try kaffeine 2.0.5 (now) is that it supports HD
channels. The problem was that either the card drivers would either not
compile under kernels 4.7 or 4.8 on all of the newest distros that I ran
up or the modules wouldn't show up in dmesg.

I'm planning on upgrading to a twin tuner DVB-T2 adapter some time in
the not too distant future so it looks like I'll be forced to upgrade to
Kaffeine ver 2.0.5 or later, a requirement I was unaware of till now.

3) I finally decided to stick with the current beta of Mageia 6 in the
hopes of it just updating as bugs were overcome.

I had to check out distrowatch.com to get a description of that distro.
I guess you're more into bleeding edge distros and compiling your own
drivers and packages than I feel I'm ready to tackle (hence the wimp's
route into Linux, notwithstanding that my first experience of installing
Linux dates back over 15 years ago using the SuSie Linux CD that came
with the "Linux for Dummies" book - that ended with a "Now what?" moment
when I completed the installation and several years hiatus until I
discovered the joys of the famous Knoppix Live CDs which finally started
answering that very question).

4) Eventually TBS compiled and installed the drivers remotely but didn't
tell me what they did that I hadn't. I had been doing it with every new
kernel for over three years so it is a bit discomforting.

Another google exercise to determine what "TBS" was. I guessed it was a
make of DVB-T2 adapter and got it first hit. Presumably you're obliged to
download the source code and compile the driver code yourself (presumably
as a loadable module or embedded into the kernel? - I vaguely recall
there being these two options regarding adding hardware driver support).

5) However kaffeine 2.0.5 just will not work as expected. It 'sees' the
TBS tuners but tryng to set the source where I am, in the UK London area
is impossible. The scanfile utility collects a huge file from the
internet that includes, as far as I can tell every country under the sun
except the uk. I selected its autoscan setting but that achieved
nothing.

I then discovered that whereas in the past the config files were held at
~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine they now appeared to be held at ~/.local/
share/kaffeine. At least those are the ones that get updated.

So in desperation I edited config.dvb and changed scanSource to
scanSource=uk-CrystalPalace and pasted the crystal palace settings from
the version 1.2.2 into scanfile.dvb.

I would like to report that all this helped but it didn't.
When I run a channel scan it seems to be searching but finds nothing.

There is no active forum even including kde.org so I am pretty cheesed
off with it.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions other than to try posting
into the uk.comp.os.linux or the uk.comp.homebuilt news groups for help
or pointers to more useful newsgroups. Whilst there are some posting here
who are into assembling their own PC based PVR solutions, it seems to me
that most of the expertise tends to lie with windows rather than *nix
based solutions.

--
Johnny B Good
Old November 14th 16, 07:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Bob wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:55:46 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

There is no active forum even including kde.org so I am pretty cheesed
off with it.

Is alt.os.linux.ubuntu any good to you?

I'm giving it a try. Thanks.

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Old November 15th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 17:32:26 +0000, Mr. Marmite wrote:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 04:17:28 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

snip
I'm planning on upgrading to a twin tuner DVB-T2 adapter some time in
the not too distant future

snip

Is there such a beast? I'm running eight HD tuners (Astrometa and PCTV
290e) on the back of a Windows 10 box, using either WMC or DVBViewer as
a front end, and have run into difficulties with Windows 10 unable to
support an unlimited number of USB connections, something Windows 7
accomplished without any problems. At present, I have to keep unplugging
all my archive discs to use all the tuners (very rare, but it
occasionally happens around 2100) and that's starting to become a right
PITA.

Apologies for the tardy response. I've been juggling with off-air and
iplayer sources of BBC content courtesy of get-iplayer just lately. I've
been stressing out my 30Mbps VM cable connection over the past 3 weeks or
so, trying to gather as many "HD" versions of my recent off-air SD
recordings whilst they're still available. This afternoon, I finally got
myself caught up with this backlog and can now deal with my 'archiving
task' at a more leisurely pace.

To answer your question, yes, there are dual and quad tuner DVB-T2
adapters (PCI and PCIe types) available if you search hard enough but
they're not exactly cheap[1]. I'll be needing two such tuners because the
BBC4 HD stream is on a seperate mux to the rest of the Beeb's HD
broadcast streams on Freeview (I only need a single tuner to capture all
of the BBC's SD streams using Kaffeine).

Eight DVB-T2 tuners suggests you're determined to archive the whole of
Freeview's broadcast streams (SD and HD) although the 'astro' part of the
'Astrometa' name suggested the possibility that you were including
satellite broadcast sources (but googling shows it only does DVB-C/T/T2,
not S).

JOOI, can you record all TV streams in a single mux using WMC and
DVBViewer? I know some folk have used VLC in windows to capture the full
mux data stream from which they can later hive off individual channel
streams in a post processing exercise which seems as close to Kaffeine's
ability to record each TV stream to seperate files without regard to
padding overlap conflicts with back to back programmes across the whole
mux. Scheduling conflicts in Kaffeine only arise when you don't have
enough tuners to cover programmes being aired simultaneously on different
muxes.

[1] Unfortunately, the range of *nix compatible DVB-T2 adapters is rather
small compared to windows compatible kit and what is available tends to
be the more expensive up-market kit. Given enough time and some dedicated
effort by the devs, some of the more affordable models do eventually make
it into the *nix repositories or into the kernel code. I'm keeping an eye
on the situation with a view to eventually upgrading to DVB-T2 without
having to resort to the expensive high end kit that's only currently
available for *nix based systems.

--
Johnny B Good
Old November 17th 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Mr. Marmite wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:53:23 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

snip

To answer your question, yes, there are dual and quad tuner DVB-T2
adapters (PCI and PCIe types) available if you search hard enough but
they're not exactly cheap[1]. I'll be needing two such tuners because the
BBC4 HD stream is on a seperate mux to the rest of the Beeb's HD
broadcast streams on Freeview (I only need a single tuner to capture all
of the BBC's SD streams using Kaffeine).

Thanks for the info.

Eight DVB-T2 tuners suggests you're determined to archive the whole of
Freeview's broadcast streams (SD and HD) although the 'astro' part of the
'Astrometa' name suggested the possibility that you were including
satellite broadcast sources (but googling shows it only does DVB-C/T/T2,
not S).

I archive a lot of films and TV, mostly from binary Usenet groups or
torrents, but the eight tuners in fact often becomes the equivalent of
four as I allow a two minute and five minute overlap at the beginning and
end of recordings.

JOOI, can you record all TV streams in a single mux using WMC and
DVBViewer? I know some folk have used VLC in windows to capture the full
mux data stream from which they can later hive off individual channel
streams in a post processing exercise which seems as close to Kaffeine's
ability to record each TV stream to seperate files without regard to
padding overlap conflicts with back to back programmes across the whole
mux. Scheduling conflicts in Kaffeine only arise when you don't have
enough tuners to cover programmes being aired simultaneously on different
muxes.

DVBViewer will record a complete mux but WMC won't. I tried doing this for
a while but found that separating and editing the different programs that
I wanted to archive took so long that it was easier to just record the
programs individually.

I use a TBS dual-tunered TBS PCIe card but they do make four-driver models.
The satellite one is TBS6905 DVB-S2 Quad Tuner PCIe Card and the TBS6205
DVB-T2/T/C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card for example. From four years experience I
can confirm that their Linux support and indeed customer support is pretty
good.

HTH

Regards Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Old November 18th 16, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Mr. Marmite wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 11:10:37 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

Mr. Marmite wrote:

DVBViewer will record a complete mux but WMC won't. I tried doing this
for a while but found that separating and editing the different programs
that I wanted to archive took so long that it was easier to just record
the programs individually.

I use a TBS dual-tunered TBS PCIe card but they do make four-driver
models. The satellite one is TBS6905 DVB-S2 Quad Tuner PCIe Card and the
TBS6205 DVB-T2/T/C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card for example. From four years
experience I can confirm that their Linux support and indeed customer
support is pretty good.

Thanks, but there's no room in any of my machines to install PCI cards, I
only have USB access.

They do three satellite USB devices:

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/

Regards, Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5