New fibre installation keeps buffering on BBC

Old November 10th 16, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default New fibre installation keeps buffering on BBC

On 10/11/16 10:30, Phi wrote:

No trouble with Youtube and I never watch ITV, Netflix or Amazon Prime.
I expect it is the BBC servers.

Bad latency and packet loss. Dodgy wireless? Local interference to your
xDSL line? overloaded ISP?

I had a note through the door from an estate agent suggesting broadband
availability is an important fact when folks decide where to move. Want
to sell your house?

Try get-iplayer

--
Adrian C
Old November 27th 16, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 19:40:36 +0000, Phi wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Phi wrote:

When I checked earlier it was 47Mb/sec for download and 22Mb/sec for
upload

Should be OK then. I wondered if you'd just been upgraded and
immediately thought "I know I'll test it with iPlayer" before the speed
had adjusted.

Which browser, with or without flash? If you right click the video,
what bitrate and resolution has it chosen, CPU maxing out?

Using Firefox with Flash 23

snip

I have a downer on Firefox at the moment because of performance issues.
Have you tried any other browser?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 Pro x64

---

Old November 27th 16, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Phi wrote:

When I checked earlier it was 47Mb/sec for download and 22Mb/sec for
upload

Should be OK then. I wondered if you'd just been upgraded and
immediately thought "I know I'll test it with iPlayer" before the speed
had adjusted.

Which browser, with or without flash? If you right click the video,
what bitrate and resolution has it chosen, CPU maxing out?

Using Firefox with Flash 23

snip

I have a downer on Firefox at the moment because of performance issues.
Have you tried any other browser?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 Pro x64

---

Yes I also have Opera v42 and K-Meleon v76.1 on Win10x64, even the Roberts
radio buffers sometimes on Radio 4 extra.

Old December 1st 16, 10:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Dickie mint
scribeth thus
On 09/11/2016 18:05, Phi wrote:
With a small screen in HD on Windows 10

Noticed of late with W7, FF 49.0.2, BBC website videos flash a picture
and go black. Refreshing the page produces a working video!

Yep, seen that here too!.

W& Pro and FF ver 50.0.2 ..

Choosing SD when given the choice in iplayer results in a smoother video
playout.

iplayer stalled 4 times watching an HD programme of an hour.

No stalling here 200 down Via VM..

An ookla speedtest gives 45.49MBs download, 9.37Mbs upload.

Richard

--
Tony Sayer
Old December 2nd 16, 06:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:30:06 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

No trouble with Youtube and I never watch ITV, Netflix or Amazon Prime. I
expect it is the BBC servers.

Now that I've paid attention to this thread, I realise it agrees with
my recent experience. In the past few weeks, BBC iPlayer has been
buffering a lot more than usual. Typically it will stop and show the
whirling circle two or three times in one programme, whereas
previously it would hardly ever do this.

I've taken to recording some BBC programmes on the PVR again, just
because of this, though I prefer to watch online (when it works), so
as not to have to reach for the volume control when the credits roll.
Normally I only record the channels with adverts because my PVR has an
editing facility that enables me to whittle them out, otherwise I'd
use online streaming for them too, because the Amazon box makes it so
easy.

My internet service is with Zen, giving about 25down/5up fairly
consistently and I watch quite a lot of material on iPlayer using the
same equipment with no problems at all, and Amazon's own programmes
play faultlessly too. So yes, it does look like something specific to
the BBC's online service that has happened recently. Maybe they'll fix
it one day, or maybe they want us to buy the boxed sets instead?

Old December 2nd 16, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

Rod.

Not forgetting that Youtube is all HTML5 content, not sure if Flash is the
negro in the woodpile.

Old December 2nd 16, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 08:42:22 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

[...]

Shouldn't that be the "person of colour" in the woodpile? I hate that
phrase, but it's the one that the thought police appear to want
everybody to use.

And what's he doing in the woodpile anyway? He should of course have a
job title something like Lumber Storage Supervisor at the very least,
just to maintain equality. He or she, that is.

It's hard work being modern. Much easier to be an old git.

Old December 2nd 16, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/12/2016 08:42, Phi wrote:

Not forgetting that Youtube is all HTML5 content, not sure if Flash is
the negro in the woodpile.

Disgraceful! You should say 'the negro in the store of fossil fuel that
will pollute and ultimately destroy the planet.'

Old December 2nd 16, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/12/2016 13:28, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/12/2016 08:42, Phi wrote:

Not forgetting that Youtube is all HTML5 content, not sure if Flash is
the negro in the woodpile.

Disgraceful! You should say 'the negro in the store of fossil fuel that
*if ignited* will pollute and ultimately destroy the planet.'

I corrected that for you.

I knew somebody (who is dead now) who made a woodpile as a long term
haven for insects. It was never intended to be burned.

Old December 2nd 16, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Indy Jess John wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

Phi wrote:

not sure if Flash is the negro in the woodpile.

Disgraceful! You should say 'the negro in the store of fossil fuel that
*if ignited* will pollute and ultimately destroy the planet.'

I corrected that for you.

Besides a woodpile isn't made from coal