Should I change provider?

Old November 7th 16, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Should I change provider?

I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years.
I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is not
bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get
typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s.

However I am paying:
Broadband & phone £20
Line rental £17.70
Plus 'other call' around £5.00

Some of m friends claim they get a better deal but when I check I find that
they are also paying for a modem/router that is inferior to mine and that I
therefore wouldn't want.

So can I get a better deal?

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Old November 7th 16, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:58:34 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

So can I get a better deal?

Is your street wired for cable TV? I'm on Virginmedia cable broadband
only and get 73Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up for £33.50 per month. There's no
line rental as I don't have a landline phone.

--
TOJ.
Old November 7th 16, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 07/11/16 11:58, pinnerite wrote:
I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years.
I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is not
bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get
typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s.

However I am paying:
Broadband & phone £20
Line rental £17.70
Plus 'other call' around £5.00

Some of m friends claim they get a better deal but when I check I find that
they are also paying for a modem/router that is inferior to mine and that I
therefore wouldn't want.

So can I get a better deal?

Yes. That £20 for broadband and phone needs explaining. That figure
should have gone downhill as you probably are on basic non-fibre
unlimited broadband, available for around £6 a month.

I was paying similar, and am still paying similar. I just upgraded to
fibre instead.

I wouldn't go with virgin unless someone local can prove to you it
works. Too many breakdowns around here with busted cabinets.

--
Adrian C
Old November 7th 16, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

What often happens is you get short term gains form other providers but as
long as you use bt, I suspect they all have to pay them money.
However Virgin are no better, in order to now get talk anyytime,
ridiculously fast internet, phone line rental and caller id, I typically pay
them 59 ukp a month.
I'd like to slow the internet and get a lower price of course, but this it
seems is not possible. Whatever you do and however you do it you end up
finding that they stitch you up. I will say however that Virgin have been a
whole lot more responsive to faults and weird goings on than my friends
using bt derived serves seem to get. I suppose I'm paying for this better
service, and phone assistance that seems in the main to not be just some
script reader.

Old November 7th 16, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"pinnerite" wrote in message
I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years.
I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is
not
bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get
typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s.

However I am paying:
Broadband & phone 20
Line rental 17.70
Plus 'other call' around 5.00

Some of m friends claim they get a better deal but when I check I
find that
they are also paying for a modem/router that is inferior to mine and
that I
therefore wouldn't want.

So can I get a better deal?

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Go to www.magsys.co.uk and select Code Lookup. Enter your landline
number and it will tell you the name of your serving exchange.

Now go to www.samknows.com , select UK broadband at the top, click on
exchange search, enter your exchange name and then click on it in the
table that appears. This will bring up a whole page of data at the
lower right of which is a list of LLU providers. If LLU is available
on your exchange then Sky is as good as any and fairly cheap (you
don't need Sky TV): if LLU is not available then PlusNet are
inexpensive and have UK support in Sheffield (they will not be listed
as they are owned by BT.) If you don't mind paying a bit more but for
which you will get superb support if you need it then Zen or Andrews
and Arnold are the best.

If you want to use LCR (least cost routing) telephone providers then
you will be limited to BT or Plusnet as most others block them
especailly if they take over you telephone service.

VM are good if your area is cabled. 70Mb B/B will cost you 27 a month
for the first year, then 32.25/m after that but threatening to leave
will usually get you a deal. You will of course need a phone line as
well for which you should revert to BT - UNLESS you change to using
VoIP which VM handles superbly well.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old November 8th 16, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Woody wrote:

"pinnerite" wrote in message
[...]

I couldn't ask for more. Thank you.

Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Old November 8th 16, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 10:15:35 +0000, pinnerite
wrote:

Woody wrote:

"pinnerite" wrote in message
[...]

Take into account that Sky throttles if you do large transfers.
--

Indeed as do VM for the rest of the day once you have exceeded 3Gb (or
was it 3600Mb?) download.

Old December 1st 16, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Adrian Caspersz
scribeth thus
On 07/11/16 11:58, pinnerite wrote:
I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years.
I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is not
bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get
typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s.

However I am paying:
Broadband & phone 20
Line rental 17.70
Plus 'other call' around 5.00

Some of m friends claim they get a better deal but when I check I find that
they are also paying for a modem/router that is inferior to mine and that I
therefore wouldn't want.

Get your own modem router, Draytek are very good.

So can I get a better deal?

Yes. That 20 for broadband and phone needs explaining. That figure
should have gone downhill as you probably are on basic non-fibre
unlimited broadband, available for around 6 a month.

I was paying similar, and am still paying similar. I just upgraded to
fibre instead.

I wouldn't go with virgin unless someone local can prove to you it
works. Too many breakdowns around here with busted cabinets.

It works fine here in Cambridge 200 odd meg down and it is reliable
apart from a few times when dear old Pdraig has been too careless with
his digger! That wasn't their fault..

Ever since we've been connected circa 1993 its been faster that what
ADSL now even VDSL can achieve!.
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 1st 16, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

[...]

Indeed it does, been VoIP for three years now on VM in fact its better
then BT if their system falls over it diverts all calls to the mobile

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 1st 16, 01:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

I couldn't ask for more. Thank you.

Take into account that Sky throttles if you do large transfers.
--

Indeed as do VM for the rest of the day once you have exceeded 3Gb (or
was it 3600Mb?) download.

IIRC Woody its upload it can cut back on, but on the fast BB no limiting
there..
--
Tony Sayer