Hitachi HDR5T01 Freeview+ recorder archiving

Old November 4th 16, 03:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default Hitachi HDR5T01 Freeview+ recorder archiving

I have one of these, sold by Argos, but actually made by Vestel, chassis
T7655.

My question is - what is "Archive" meant to do? When I go through the
process of archiving a recording, it starts by asking for a title etc., then
when I press Play to start it off, the recording plays at normal speed (but
it's not just a normal play because it can't be fast forwarded). When
finished the screen reverts to the recordings library page but shows no
archive file. The manual doesn't give any clues.

I thought "Archive" could mean one of three things: 1. A reduction in file
size, 2. Concatenation of two or more files into some sort of zip file, 3.
Making a copy of the file onto a USB stick. None of these happens. Maybe the
feature is just a hang-on from units using the same software but with a DVD
drive. Any ideas?

The software version is 1.21.3. According to Futaura on Digital Spy there
was an over-air update to 1.22.1 in August, before I had the unit. I doubt
there will be another one, but maybe Futaura will make a download available
in due course.

There is no facility for copying recordings to a USB stick like on my Humax
Freesat HDR, but I'll just have to live with that.
--
Dave W

Old November 4th 16, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 04/11/16 15:01, Dave W wrote:
I have one of these, sold by Argos, but actually made by Vestel, chassis
T7655.

My question is - what is "Archive" meant to do? When I go through the
process of archiving a recording, it starts by asking for a title etc., then
when I press Play to start it off, the recording plays at normal speed (but
it's not just a normal play because it can't be fast forwarded). When
finished the screen reverts to the recordings library page but shows no
archive file. The manual doesn't give any clues.

I thought "Archive" could mean one of three things: 1. A reduction in file
size, 2. Concatenation of two or more files into some sort of zip file, 3.
Making a copy of the file onto a USB stick. None of these happens. Maybe the
feature is just a hang-on from units using the same software but with a DVD
drive. Any ideas?

Tee Hee. They copied that concept from TiVo.

You were meant to connect a VCR recorder to the back of the machine, and
play out the recordings to tape.

--
Adrian C
Old November 4th 16, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 04/11/16 15:01, Dave W wrote:
[...]

Interesting. In that case, the only advantage of 'Archive' over 'Play' is
that recordings can be top & tailed by chapters before copying, and several
recordings can be transferred without further user input given sufficent
time. I expect I wouldn't be able to watch TV via HDMI while it's archiving
via the SCART.
--
Dave W

Old November 4th 16, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Dave W" wrote in message
I expect I wouldn't be able to watch TV via HDMI while it's archiving via
the SCART.

If you use the HDR5T01 as your Freeview decoder, rather than using the
decoder (if any, depending on age!) in the TV, then no, you probably won't.
The HDMI will probably be a copy of what's going to SCART rather than being
switchable to be the output of the Freeview decoder - or else if you *do*
manage to get it to be the Freeview output, the SCART will probably switch
over too :-)