WiFi keyboard use with smart TV

Old November 3rd 16, 07:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default WiFi keyboard use with smart TV

I have a Panasonic "smart" TV. It has proved particularly useful for
keeping my grandson entertained with Thomas the Tank Engine videos and
the like on YouTube.

However, using the remote to select videos by keying in the name using
the navigation arrows was a nuisance. So I decided to get a mini
wireless keyboard:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMVISION-NICO-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B016OMDBC6/ref=sr_1_61?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1475240758&sr= 1-61

I was a bit dubious as it was so cheap, but it works very well, and even
in normal TV mode you can navigate around the screen and use some of its
many buttons for obscure purposes.

But what it can't do (and that is no fault of its own) is search around
BBC iPlayer and the other catch-up apps. The only way a name can be
typed in the "search" box is by using the on-screen keypad to go from
letter to letter with the navigation arrows, which is just like the old
YouTube problem. But here's the odd thing - If I press a letter button
on the keypad, nothing appears in the "search" box, but if I press a
number key, those do appear. I've now realised that is true of the TV
remote as well; to enter letters in the search box you have to use the
navigation keys, select the letter, and press "ok". There are numbers
available in the same way, but I just tried using the remote's channel
numbers and those enter the number directly without the faff of using
the navigation arrows.

Anyone know why numbers work but not letters?

--

Jeff
Old November 3rd 16, 07:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Jeff,

Have you first tried plugging in a standard USB keyboard? Does that work in
the way that you want? Also, there is often some TV input setting (on the
TV not your keyboard) that you select either from the TV menu or perhaps
with a 'hot key' that toggles the input method. Often it might say 'text'
or 'SMS' because you can either 'actually type' or use a form of predictive
text like a phone.

Paul DS.

Old November 3rd 16, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/11/16 08:43, Jeff Layman wrote:
I have a Panasonic "smart" TV. It has proved particularly useful for
keeping my grandson entertained with Thomas the Tank Engine videos and
the like on YouTube.

However, using the remote to select videos by keying in the name using
the navigation arrows was a nuisance. So I decided to get a mini
wireless keyboard:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMVISION-NICO-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B016OMDBC6/ref=sr_1_61?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1475240758&sr= 1-61

I was a bit dubious as it was so cheap, but it works very well, and even
in normal TV mode you can navigate around the screen and use some of its
many buttons for obscure purposes.

snip

I have one. Found the wireless radio dongle output clashes with Sony
bluetooth used for 3D glasses, so have deployed it somewhere else
currently out of reach. Great value though.

Anyone know why numbers work but not letters?

Try the USB keyboard for further diagnostics, but I reckon the writers
of the catchup apps have either slipped up, or have purposely sandboxed
themselves into the lowest common denominator of supported keypad
features to ensure their released code works across all devices.

Maybe pen an email to them?

--
Adrian C
Old November 3rd 16, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 03/11/16 10:46, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

That is disappointing, but with these dedicated devices there seems to
be no possibility of changing channels to avoid interference.

Anyone know why numbers work but not letters?

Try the USB keyboard for further diagnostics, but I reckon the writers
of the catchup apps have either slipped up, or have purposely sandboxed
themselves into the lowest common denominator of supported keypad
features to ensure their released code works across all devices.

Not a lot of info in the Panasonic eHelp for the TV, but what I did
find, in relation to using a USB keyboard stated:

● Characters may not be displayed correctly on the TV screen depending on
the connected keyboard or the keyboard layout setting.
● Some of the keys of keyboards may correspond to the operation of the
remote control.

With regard to that second bullet point, all the functions I found did
correspond to those on the remote (more or less - there are no F11 and
F12 function keys on the keyboard, and F9 - F12 are the red, green,
yellow, and blue buttons on the remote).

Maybe pen an email to them?

That would make sense, but to who? There are the app writers (did the
BBC write the iPlayer app, and ITV, etc write their apps?). Is it
Panasonic's tv system firmware? Is it Firefox OS, which Panasonic use
for the smart TVs? Or is it the DTG?

I guess it isn't too important for the catch-up apps, as I use them
rarely. And when I need to use YouView or the built-in Firefox browser,
that little keyboard works pretty well.

--

Jeff
Old November 3rd 16, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/11/16 12:53, Jeff Layman wrote:

I guess it isn't too important for the catch-up apps, as I use them
rarely. And when I need to use YouView or the built-in Firefox browser,
that little keyboard works pretty well.

Ok, another tack.

Does your smart TV support Chromecast or DIAL?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ve_chromecast/

--
Adrian C
Old November 3rd 16, 01:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 3 November 2016 08:43:57 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

It depends a bit on the TV.

You can usually use a USB keyboard and [separate] USB mouse.

A wireless keyboard (with dongle) may or may not work.

If the TV supports Bluetooth then a Blueooth keyboard and mouse should work.

OTOH they normally won't recognise a Bluetooth dongle unless full Android (so our Samsung doesn't :-( and the browser is weak)

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.
Old November 3rd 16, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 03/11/16 08:51, Paul D Smith wrote:
Jeff,

Have you first tried plugging in a standard USB keyboard? Does that work in
the way that you want? Also, there is often some TV input setting (on the
TV not your keyboard) that you select either from the TV menu or perhaps
with a 'hot key' that toggles the input method. Often it might say 'text'
or 'SMS' because you can either 'actually type' or use a form of predictive
text like a phone.

Paul DS.

Unfortunately I don't have a standard USB keyboard. I could try
connecting the wireless keyboard directly to the TV by cable via the
micro-USB socket on the keyboard. The only reference to this socket,
however, is to using it to charge the battery in the keyboard.

The only references to a USB keyboard in the Panasonic manual are to
choosing a particular language for it, and ensuring it is a driverless
keyboard.

--

Jeff
Old November 3rd 16, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 03/11/16 12:59, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 03/11/16 12:53, Jeff Layman wrote:

I guess it isn't too important for the catch-up apps, as I use them
rarely. And when I need to use YouView or the built-in Firefox browser,
that little keyboard works pretty well.

Ok, another tack.

Does your smart TV support Chromecast or DIAL?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ve_chromecast/

Not using those particular terms. However the TV (Panasonic TX-55CX680B)
has what it refers to as a "mirroring" function:

"You can watch display images of other devices (smartphone, etc.) on the TV
screen using a mirroring function.
1. Display Home Screen with HOME.
2. Select Devices and press OK to access.
3. Select Mirroring and press OK.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
● Pairing information of the device (smartphone, etc.) is registered
once you
use this function."

It also has:
" VIERA Link “HDAVI Control” is a unique function that we have developed
and added based on the control functions provided by HDMI which is an
industry standard known as HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control).
As such, its operation with other manufacturers’ product that supports
HDMI CEC cannot be guaranteed."

I can't see any particular use for smartphone apps via chromecast on
this TV. There are quite a few apps included (as well as those mentioned
previously it has Netflix and Amazon video), and there are vast numbers
in its "Apps Market".

--

Jeff
Old November 3rd 16, 04:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/11/16 14:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

Yup, though seen loads of things misadvertised as such, or again wrongly
bluetooth.

The thing that Jeff and I have is the breed that is neither. To the TV /
computer / washing machine*, it looks like a USB hub with USB mouse and
USB keyboard attached. The RF and protocol use is proprietary, and
probably opens a few garage doors down the street on a good day.

* yes, a washing machine with a USB interface. I can dream ;-)

--
Adrian C
Old November 3rd 16, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

[...]

I tried it with another app (Accuweather) and it worked well with that,
too. I can only assume it's the catch-up apps which don't like letter input.

If the TV supports Bluetooth then a Blueooth keyboard and mouse should work.

There's nothing in the manual about bluetooth.

OTOH they normally won't recognise a Bluetooth dongle unless full Android (so our Samsung doesn't :-( and the browser is weak)

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

That may be me extrapolating too much! I had assumed that "wireless" and
mention of 2.4GHz meant "wifi", but checking through the keyboard info
and other similar keyboards all just mention "wireless".

--

Jeff