WiFi keyboard use with smart TV

Old November 3rd 16, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_5_]

Default WiFi keyboard use with smart TV

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 03/11/16 14:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

That may be me extrapolating too much! I had assumed that "wireless"
and mention of 2.4GHz meant "wifi", but checking through the keyboard
info and other similar keyboards all just mention "wireless".

I have/had a wireless mouse that operates on 27MHz - and on one of the
FCC/CEPT CB frequencies. [It only cost a pound at an amateur radio boot
sale.] One day, I found the cursor was 'doing its own thing' - and it
continued to do so spasmodically over the next few weeks. I guess there
was co-channel interference (but didn't have the immediate means to
check). In the end, I got fed up with it, and bought a modern new one
(5?) on around 2.4GHz.

--
Ian
Old November 3rd 16, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/11/16 16:45, Jeff Layman wrote:

I can't see any particular use for smartphone apps via chromecast on
this TV. There are quite a few apps included (as well as those mentioned
previously it has Netflix and Amazon video), and there are vast numbers
in its "Apps Market".

The test is if you have a smart phone paired, that you can find
something on YouTube and "cast/fling/throw" it on to the TV, the LAN
connection continues between the TV and the internet, and the phone is
redundant. That's Chromecast or DIAL http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/

There is another DIAL'ish thing that may work just for the YouTube app
inside your TV. Have a look in the app settings for "LINK TV AND PHONE"

If it's just mirroring your TV screen that's all that's available, then
the TV receives a copy of the phone screen, which is different, often
slower, and battery draining for the phone.

The reason I'm mentioning all this twaddle is that it's sometimes easier
to find stuff on a phone touch screen app (say youtube) than driving the
limited buttons on a remote.

Of course, you have your keyboard

--
Adrian C
Old November 3rd 16, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 3 November 2016 17:01:11 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 03/11/16 14:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

Yup, though seen loads of things misadvertised as such, or again wrongly
bluetooth.

Indeed, I sadly bought one from a PC shop in Glasgow. Fortunately they admitted their mistake and I got my money back after a while.

The thing that Jeff and I have is the breed that is neither. To the TV /
computer / washing machine*, it looks like a USB hub with USB mouse and
USB keyboard attached. The RF and protocol use is proprietary, and
probably opens a few garage doors down the street on a good day.

* yes, a washing machine with a USB interface. I can dream ;-)

--
Adrian C

Old November 4th 16, 06:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 03/11/16 16:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/11/16 08:51, Paul D Smith wrote:
Jeff,

Have you first tried plugging in a standard USB keyboard? Does that work in
the way that you want? Also, there is often some TV input setting (on the
TV not your keyboard) that you select either from the TV menu or perhaps
with a 'hot key' that toggles the input method. Often it might say 'text'
or 'SMS' because you can either 'actually type' or use a form of predictive
text like a phone.

Paul DS.

Unfortunately I don't have a standard USB keyboard. I could try
connecting the wireless keyboard directly to the TV by cable via the
micro-USB socket on the keyboard. The only reference to this socket,
however, is to using it to charge the battery in the keyboard.

I just tried it in my laptop by cable. Mint 17.3 can't detect it, so I
doubt the TV could. It seems the dongle is essential.

--

Jeff
Old November 4th 16, 07:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 03/11/16 17:01, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 03/11/16 14:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

Yup, though seen loads of things misadvertised as such, or again wrongly
bluetooth.

The thing that Jeff and I have is the breed that is neither. To the TV /
computer / washing machine*, it looks like a USB hub with USB mouse and
USB keyboard attached

Adrian, how did your computer show what device the keyboard was? I tried
"sudo lshw" in a terminal on my Mint 17.3 laptop and looked for anything
"usb" or "keyboard", but didn't see anything relevant. There was
nothing found at all under "mouse" (I was using the touchpad). I got a
similar result running Hardinfo.

--

Jeff
Old November 4th 16, 08:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 04/11/16 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/11/16 17:01, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 03/11/16 14:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Never seen or heard of a wi-fi keyboard.

Yup, though seen loads of things misadvertised as such, or again wrongly
bluetooth.

The thing that Jeff and I have is the breed that is neither. To the TV /
computer / washing machine*, it looks like a USB hub with USB mouse and
USB keyboard attached

Adrian, how did your computer show what device the keyboard was? I tried
"sudo lshw" in a terminal on my Mint 17.3 laptop and looked for anything
"usb" or "keyboard", but didn't see anything relevant. There was
nothing found at all under "mouse" (I was using the touchpad). I got a
similar result running Hardinfo.

I should have made it clear that I connected it by cable to a USB
socket; the wireless dongle was not used

--

Jeff
Old November 4th 16, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 04/11/16 09:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I'm using the wireless adaptor.

From dmesg,

[ 2.769538] usb 4-4: new low-speed USB device number 4 using ohci-pci
[ 2.939600] usb 4-4: New USB device found, idVendor=0c40, idProduct=8000
[ 2.939605] usb 4-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
[ 2.939608] usb 4-4: Product: 2.4GHz receiver
[ 2.939609] usb 4-4: Manufacturer: ELMCU

That's Bus 4 Device 4, so ....

$ lsusb -s 4:4 -v

Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x0c40
idProduct 0x8000
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 59
bNumInterfaces 2
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Boot Interface Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Keyboard
iInterface 0
HID Device Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 33
bcdHID 1.11
bCountryCode 0 Not supported
bNumDescriptors 1
bDescriptorType 34 Report
wDescriptorLength 77
Report Descriptors:
** UNAVAILABLE **
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
bInterval 10
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Boot Interface Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 2 Mouse
iInterface 0
HID Device Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 33
bcdHID 1.11
bCountryCode 0 Not supported
bNumDescriptors 1
bDescriptorType 34 Report
wDescriptorLength 104
Report Descriptors:
** UNAVAILABLE **
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0007 1x 7 bytes
bInterval 10

You can also use 'lsusb -t' to show a pretty picture of all USB ports.

--
Adrian C
Old November 5th 16, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It has to be in the tellies software. I'd imagine nobody thought anyone
would want letters so hard coded the letter selection on screen and only
allowed remote controls to access numbers and functions.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I have a Panasonic "smart" TV. It has proved particularly useful for
keeping my grandson entertained with Thomas the Tank Engine videos and the
like on YouTube.

However, using the remote to select videos by keying in the name using the
navigation arrows was a nuisance. So I decided to get a mini wireless
keyboard:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMVISION-NICO-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B016OMDBC6/ref=sr_1_61?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1475240758&sr= 1-61

I was a bit dubious as it was so cheap, but it works very well, and even
in normal TV mode you can navigate around the screen and use some of its
many buttons for obscure purposes.

But what it can't do (and that is no fault of its own) is search around
BBC iPlayer and the other catch-up apps. The only way a name can be typed
in the "search" box is by using the on-screen keypad to go from letter to
letter with the navigation arrows, which is just like the old YouTube
problem. But here's the odd thing - If I press a letter button on the
keypad, nothing appears in the "search" box, but if I press a number key,
those do appear. I've now realised that is true of the TV remote as well;
to enter letters in the search box you have to use the navigation keys,
select the letter, and press "ok". There are numbers available in the same
way, but I just tried using the remote's channel numbers and those enter
the number directly without the faff of using the navigation arrows.

Anyone know why numbers work but not letters?

--

Jeff