Interference

Old November 2nd 16, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Interference

Tunable IF spell checker get a life!

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Unfortunately my scanner stops at 2 gigs, so I don't know. Does anyone
make a conversion device to move this band down using the scanner as a
tenable IF?
That would be a handy gadget to have for checking for non digital or alien
nasties in those situations.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've noticed recently some drop outs of signal on Freeview, so I went
around the bands with my scanner and find some kind of noise that sounds
a bit like subdued arcing from about 50 Mhz all the way up to nearly 1
gig being received on a discone just above my roof line.
Its not there all the time but for long periods.
Strangely, unlike most noises like this, it seems not to be affecting
frequencies lower than about 40 megs at all, as if its filtered.

I am at a loss to know what to do about it. of course cannot prove this
is the reason for the problems, but even the air band seems to be
affected.
I've got no portable radio for this range so it will be hard to track
down. My current thinking is that its some kind of power supply for a
laptop or phone, but its none in my house!
I do think myself that somebody needs to grasp the nettle about devices
that cause radio frequency interference like power line internet
adaptors and naff switch mode power supplies for whatever device.
Eventually we could end up with a situation that nothing based on radio
reception is going to work in a built up area!

I fell foul of unknown interference on my wireless network on Monday: I'd
originally chosen Channel 1 (in the 2.4 GHz band)because none of the
channels around 1 were used by my neighbours, whereas there were weak
signals on 6 and 11. This worked fine for several years.

The other morning my wife noticed that her phone and iPad wouldn't
connect to the network. I tried all the standard things such as rebooting
the router and doing a scan with InSSIDer on my Android phone to check
for interfering networks on Channel 1 or adjacent channels. Everything
looked normal: nothing else on my channel and my SSID was visible when I
scanned.

But I got authentication errors whenever I tried to connect. Everything I
tried failed - laptop, phone etc. My router also has a 5 GHz access point
and I could connect perfectly to that. But many of our devices (eg
security cameras, printer) can only talk to 2.4 GHz. Anyway, 5 GHz has a
much shorter range and is attenuated more by walls and floors.

After phoning the helpdesk for the router, we resolved it. He suggested
trying a different channel, even though InSSIDer shows no other network
on Channel 1. And as soon as I changed it to Channel 11 (which also has a
very weak signal from a neighbour's router) everything sprang into life.
I wish I'd thought to try this before phoning for help - it shows that
you shouldn't always believe scanning software!

What else uses the 2.4 GHz band, other than wireless networks? Do baby
alarms and other wireless intercoms use this band?

I've thought for a long time that there is a lot of interference coming
from my neighbour's house (joined onto our house), but so far it has only
affected the low end of the VHF/FM radio band: R2 and R4 at around 89-94
MHz are weak and buzzy, whereas Classic FM and various local stations at
around 100-104 MHz) are fine. If the guy next door wasn't a miserable,
easily-prokoved-to-anger old bugger, I'd ask him whether he's started
using any devices recently that he wasn't doing before.

Maybe whatever is causing the FM interference is now also chucking out
something on 2.4 GHz as well.

Old November 2nd 16, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 02/11/2016 17:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I noted this, but I'm far too close to Crystal Palace for this I think.

You'd be surprised, I'm 6 miles from Hannington, yet in these conditions
Sutton Coldfield can still stamp all over it, to the point of an
unwatchable signal.

--
Mark
Old November 3rd 16, 01:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/11/2016 19:58, Mark Carver wrote:
On 02/11/2016 17:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I noted this, but I'm far too close to Crystal Palace for this I
think.

You'd be surprised, I'm 6 miles from Hannington, yet in these conditions
Sutton Coldfield can still stamp all over it, to the point of an
unwatchable signal.

Yes but because of your history of abusing poor Hannington it has been
modified so there is a -40dB notch aimed straight at your house.

Old November 13th 16, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

I've thought for a long time that there is a lot of interference coming from
my neighbour's house (joined onto our house), but so far it has only
affected the low end of the VHF/FM radio band: R2 and R4 at around 89-94 MHz
are weak and buzzy, whereas Classic FM and various local stations at around
100-104 MHz) are fine. If the guy next door wasn't a miserable,
easily-prokoved-to-anger old bugger, I'd ask him whether he's started using
any devices recently that he wasn't doing before.

Maybe whatever is causing the FM interference is now also chucking out
something on 2.4 GHz as well.

I chose 11, because the intelligent routers start at 1 and work up when they are
looking for a free channel.

What's wrong with channel 13 no one seems to use it?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old November 13th 16, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

tony sayer wrote:

What's wrong with channel 13

It's fine if all your kit works with CH13, some doesn't work above CH11.

Old November 13th 16, 06:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

What's wrong with channel 13

It's fine if all your kit works with CH13, some doesn't work above CH11.

Well all seems OK here, mind you its all recent stuff..

--
Tony Sayer

Old November 13th 16, 07:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

tony sayer wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's fine if all your kit works with CH13, some doesn't work above CH11.

Well all seems OK here, mind you its all recent stuff..

It's not so much down to how modern it is, but whether the regulatory
settings of the device are convinced it is in the europe and hence
allowed. I've had phones which were quite happy, then got a firmware
update which I thought had broken WiFi, turns out it just disabled CH13,
moving the AP down to CH11 allowed it to connect again.