This week's silly question - working hours 9 AM - 5 PM

Old November 2nd 16, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default This week's silly question - working hours 9 AM - 5 PM

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:04:48 -0000
"NY" wrote:

I can vaguely remember the all-year round summer time (GMT+1) in the
late 60s. I hadn't realised that it was for three years (1968-1971)
and thought it was just for one year (maybe 1968).

I remember it, and the collective amazement when it finished and every
one wondered why it was said to have been a failure, when almost
everyone was happy with it.

I seem to recall it being called "BWT" = British Wilson Time.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 2nd 16, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 15:24:40 +0000, Davey wrote:

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:04:48 -0000
"NY" wrote:

I can vaguely remember the all-year round summer time (GMT+1) in the
late 60s. I hadn't realised that it was for three years (1968-1971)
and thought it was just for one year (maybe 1968).

I remember it, and the collective amazement when it finished and every
one wondered why it was said to have been a failure, when almost
everyone was happy with it.

GMT+2 works well here at 5 degrees east.

It tends to depend on the lattitude whether it's OK or not.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 3rd 16, 01:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/11/2016 17:34, Chris Hogg wrote:

Even the air base at Qaanaaq (Thule) in Greenland, probably the most
northerly town in the world (and the only town who's name is
palindromic?),

Notton.
Glenelg.

Old November 3rd 16, 05:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/11/2016 17:34, Chris Hogg wrote:

Even the air base at Qaanaaq (Thule) in Greenland, probably the most
northerly town in the world (and the only town who's name is
palindromic?),

Notton.
Glenelg.

Bill

Glenelg is hardly a town, but it has a pub.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 3rd 16, 06:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 11/3/2016 6:12 AM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/11/2016 17:34, Chris Hogg wrote:

Even the air base at Qaanaaq (Thule) in Greenland, probably the most
northerly town in the world (and the only town who's name is
palindromic?),

Notton.
Glenelg.

Bill

Glenelg is hardly a town, but it has a pub.

Quite a nice pub. And sometimes good music, too.
Old November 3rd 16, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 03/11/2016 06:12, charles wrote:

Glenelg is hardly a town, but it has a pub.

What more do you want?

Old November 23rd 16, 08:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 01/11/2016 11:13, NY wrote:

With the clocks going back last weekend and everyone moaning about how
dark it was driving home in the evening, I started to think.

I don't like it either. But it's the springtime change that does the
damage. BST is not the correct time.

It is GMT (winter) which is the correct time (given by the sun's
position directly over Greenwich at 12:00).

We should scrap BST. It is unnecessary to extend the hours of twilight
towards midnight in the summer.

Why is it that the hours of the traditional office working day, 9 AM to
5 PM, were chosen to be asymmetric about noon? If they'd chosen 8 to 4
instead, the mornings and evenings would get dark equally - assuming
that 12 noon is the point when the sun is highest in the sky.

I realise that many people in manual jobs traditionally worked shifts
which were very different from 9-5.

I often think it would be so much easier if all countries in the world
decided to adjust their clocks by half an hour (GMT+30m for northern
hemisphere; GMT-30m for southern hemisphere, plus the normal
one-hour-per-15-degrees correction for longitude) so as to observe a
time half-way between winter and summer time, and then stayed like that
all year round.

8am - 4pm would only have the effect you describe in London (or
thereabouts).

In the west of Scotland, Liverpool, Holyhead and Cornwall, the effect
would be very different.
Old November 23rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 01/11/2016 11:58, Mark Carver wrote:

On 01/11/2016 11:41, NY wrote:

It also intrigues me that the dates for the changeover between winter
and summer time are not symmetrical about the summer and winter
solstices (21 June and 21 December) - as it is, we have 3 months of
summer time before 21 June and 4 months after it, when there should be 3
and 3, to give equal amount of summer and winter time each year, or else
4 and 4, with the clocks going forward a month earlier (ie around 21
February). I've always wondered what criteria were used to determine the
choice of changeover dates.

The Americans take it even further, second Sunday in March, to first
Sunday in November. It's to save fuel, (they tell me)

It cannot save any.

For the avoidance of doubt "daylight saving" (including our own BST)
operates in the *summer*, not in the winter.

In the winter, the correct time is observed.
Old November 23rd 16, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I remember BST as standing for "Bull**** Time", because it's wrong.