Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

Old October 31st 16, 07:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

Default Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at present.

We are in Farnham Surrey, and use Crystal Palace TX as that's the best of
the available options . Although we are right on the edge of the service
area freeview is normally rock solid, with the exception of BBC4HD, which is
a lower power mux.

At present though all muxes are showing occasional blocking, to complete
loss of signal. The effect is the same on two Humax recorders, on both SD
and HD muxes. Signal strength is the same as usual using the Humax meters,
and usually the "Quality" meter is at 100% - although I saw it drop to 5%
last night - which probably corresponds to a loss of signal event.

Aerial installation is a decent Blake group A, with a proception head amp
under the eaves, and a proception DA in the loft.

I know there can be tropospheric lifts at this time of the year with high
pressure, and I don't *think* our aerial installation is the problem, but I
thought I'd ask here before I start climbing around on the roof.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Charles F

Old October 31st 16, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Charles F
wrote:
[...]

dying preamp. Or the DA - or somebody accidentally turned off the mains to
these.

I assume you aren't in the Bourne valley, since you are using CP. How old
is the installation? If it was set up when the trees were in full leaf,
the aerial might need to be repositioned when the leaves fall off.

I'm on the same bearing as you from CP and everything seems to be working
fine here

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 31st 16, 08:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Charles F wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at present.

No problems on the main HD/SD channels (100% strength and quality when I
looked at a mux) but the Notts TV mux (which is technically out of area
from here, but usually works fine) is alternating between working,
having bad breakup and thinking there's no signal at all.

Old October 31st 16, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 31/10/2016 8:36, Charles F wrote:
[...]

Two preamps in line? bound to cause problems IMHO.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old October 31st 16, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Charles F wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

No problems on the main HD/SD channels (100% strength and quality
when I looked at a mux) but the Notts TV mux (which is technically
out of area from here, but usually works fine) is alternating
between working, having bad breakup and thinking there's no signal
at all.

After many years of experience of lift conditions both in broadcast
and mobile radio I have found that such conditions tend to occur when
the eastern or western edge of an anticyclone (i.e. High) is sitting
over the country - its as though the signal follows the pressure ramp.

When we have a high sitting slap bang over us rather than a lift you
tend to get signal 'depression' when ranges reduce and normally good
signals drop out completely.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say I am wrong but this is
based simply on experience. Meanwhile I'll get my flameproof coat and
go hide somewhere......

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 31st 16, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Charles F
wrote:
[...]

We are in The Bourne, but just high enough to peer over the Hogsback ridge.
We do have a small local repeater nearby, but that doesn't have all the
muxes, and Guildford TX is nearer - but shielded by higher ground - so CP
really is the best option - despite being 40ish km away.

Installation is about 8 years old, but I recabled the outside bits three
years ago when I needed to move the aerial. Everything is well waterproofed,
so I doubt it's that really.

And no, the mains isn't off - with our sig strength nothing would work at
all if that happened!

Thanks for the thoughts though,

Charles F

Old October 31st 16, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Charles F wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

No problems on the main HD/SD channels (100% strength and quality when I
looked at a mux) but the Notts TV mux (which is technically out of area
from here, but usually works fine) is alternating between working, having
bad breakup and thinking there's no signal at all.

Andy, that's a useful observation, and matches our experience, esp as we are
on the edge of CP's service area and so likely to be similar to your Notts
signal.

Looks like I'll need to leave it a day or so and see what's happening

Thanks,

Charles F

Old October 31st 16, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

If it *was* two preamps in series I'd agree with you, but it's a head amp
with variable gain, followed by a DA with almost no gain. They are both made
by Proception, and this configuration is shown in their literature. As a
respectable manufacturer I'd be inclined to think they know what they are
doing......

Charles F

Old October 31st 16, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bilou[_2_]

"Charles F" wrote in message

Looks like I'll need to leave it a day or so and see what's happening

Good idea IMHO according to :
http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

Old October 31st 16, 10:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

"bilou" wrote in message

"Charles F" wrote in message

Looks like I'll need to leave it a day or so and see what's happening

Good idea IMHO according to :
http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

Thanks for the reference - I didn't know this site existed - very
useful.....

Charles F