Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

Old October 31st 16, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

On 31/10/2016 13:35, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 09:47:06 -0000, Charles F
wrote:

Two preamps in line? bound to cause problems IMHO.

--
Peter Crosland

If it *was* two preamps in series I'd agree with you,

Even that has it's place. Some masthead amps can be configured to pass
the line power up the line. It's something you might need with a very
long downlead.

Old November 1st 16, 06:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes all sorts of vhf and uhf funny things going on while we have these
misty and foggy times. Its yer old ducting again. Should be even mor
annoying when they try to squeeze Freeview into an even smaller space.

"Charles F" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

We are in Farnham Surrey, and use Crystal Palace TX as that's the best of
the available options . Although we are right on the edge of the service
area freeview is normally rock solid, with the exception of BBC4HD, which
is a lower power mux.

At present though all muxes are showing occasional blocking, to complete
loss of signal. The effect is the same on two Humax recorders, on both SD
and HD muxes. Signal strength is the same as usual using the Humax
meters, and usually the "Quality" meter is at 100% - although I saw it
drop to 5% last night - which probably corresponds to a loss of signal
event.

Aerial installation is a decent Blake group A, with a proception head
amp under the eaves, and a proception DA in the loft.

I know there can be tropospheric lifts at this time of the year with high
pressure, and I don't *think* our aerial installation is the problem, but
I thought I'd ask here before I start climbing around on the roof.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Charles F

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread - lots of useful
information, and the reassurance that the problem was likely to be an
irritating but transient effect.

As predicted here, reception has now returned to normal, as the weather has
changed.

Charles F

Old November 1st 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Charles F wrote:

As predicted here, reception has now returned to normal, as the
weather has changed.

Still a bit foggy here this morning, but NottsTV seems to be glitch-free
again, 100% quality despite only 18% strength, I think the local muxes
use a more-robust/less-efficient encoding than the others.

Old November 1st 16, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
phil m

On 31/10/2016 17:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes all sorts of vhf and uhf funny things going on while we have these misty
and foggy times. Its yer old ducting again. Should be even mor annoying when
they try to squeeze Freeview into an even smaller space.
Brian

I remember many years ago doing a site test at Oxted, just outside the
M25. I'd chosen the channels for the test such that they wouldn't cause
any outgoing interference or suffer incoming, and just to check, tuned
the tv to one of them. Up came a perfect test card! Panning round, the
best signal was with the antenna pointing west. After checking which
transmitters were on those channels and offsets, we concluded it was
Wenvoe, about 200 miles away.

Phil M

Old November 1st 16, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
phil m wrote:
On 31/10/2016 17:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes all sorts of vhf and uhf funny things going on while we have these misty
and foggy times. Its yer old ducting again. Should be even mor annoying when
they try to squeeze Freeview into an even smaller space.
Brian

I remember many years ago doing a site test at Oxted, just outside the
M25. I'd chosen the channels for the test such that they wouldn't cause
any outgoing interference or suffer incoming, and just to check, tuned
the tv to one of them. Up came a perfect test card! Panning round, the
best signal was with the antenna pointing west. After checking which
transmitters were on those channels and offsets, we concluded it was
Wenvoe, about 200 miles away.

I wonder if it was the same time that I was working further east in Kent
and got perect reception of the Meldrum Team's vhf mobile radio.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 2nd 16, 12:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 01/11/2016 20:22, charles wrote:

I wonder if it was the same time that I was working further east in Kent
and got perect reception of the Meldrum Team's vhf mobile radio.

Or when I sat on a summit on Skye with my brand new and highly novel FM
portable and got AFN Portugal (on VHF FM)? This would be around 1968.

Old November 2nd 16, 07:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 01/11/2016 20:22, charles wrote:

I wonder if it was the same time that I was working further east in
Kent
and got perect reception of the Meldrum Team's vhf mobile radio.

Or when I sat on a summit on Skye with my brand new and highly novel
FM portable and got AFN Portugal (on VHF FM)? This would be around
1968.

We used to have a company mobile radio scheme. I remember sitting on a
hilltop near Abergavenney and talking to our control in Cambridge. It
was also common (as against a lift) to be able to talk from Great Dunn
Fell near Penrith to our control in Southampton on their base station
at Rowridge on the IoW.

This mind you on 72/85MHz with a 30W base station and 5W mobile!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com