Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

Old October 31st 16, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_2_]

Default Troposhperic lift on Freeview at the moment?

"Woody" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Charles F wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

No problems on the main HD/SD channels (100% strength and quality when I
looked at a mux) but the Notts TV mux (which is technically out of area
from here, but usually works fine) is alternating between working, having
bad breakup and thinking there's no signal at all.

After many years of experience of lift conditions both in broadcast and
mobile radio I have found that such conditions tend to occur when the
eastern or western edge of an anticyclone (i.e. High) is sitting over the
country - its as though the signal follows the pressure ramp.

When we have a high sitting slap bang over us rather than a lift you tend
to get signal 'depression' when ranges reduce and normally good signals
drop out completely.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say I am wrong but this is based
simply on experience. Meanwhile I'll get my flameproof coat and go hide
somewhere......

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

The current weather patterns do seem fit your conjecture quite well Woody -
looks as though I just need the high to move away!

Charles F

Old October 31st 16, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 31/10/2016 09:22, Peter Crosland wrote:

Two preamps in line? bound to cause problems IMHO.

Not if the signal levels are within the max/min parameters of both amps.
Many of our communal systems have chains of amps totalling 70dB or more.

Old October 31st 16, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 31/10/2016 11:17, bilou wrote:
"Charles wrote in message

Looks like I'll need to leave it a day or so and see what's happening

Good idea IMHO according to :
http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

I am right on the edge of reception from Mendip and with a good signal
amplifier I normally get just over 70% signal strength. Nevertheless,
reception is usually solid. However, playing back something I recorded
on Saturday had a few spells of blocky or briefly blank picture, and
according to your website the reception was in the Marginal category on
Saturday. That does seem to explain the Saturday problem.

Old October 31st 16, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 31/10/2016 08:36, Charles F wrote:

I know there can be tropospheric lifts at this time of the year with
high pressure, and I don't *think* our aerial installation is the
problem, but I thought I'd ask here before I start climbing around on
the roof.

There was a warning of reception problems due to the weather a few days ago.

Old October 31st 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 09:47:06 -0000, Charles F
wrote:

Two preamps in line? bound to cause problems IMHO.

--
Peter Crosland

If it *was* two preamps in series I'd agree with you, but it's a head amp
with variable gain, followed by a DA with almost no gain. They are both made
by Proception, and this configuration is shown in their literature. As a
respectable manufacturer I'd be inclined to think they know what they are
doing......

Yes, I agree with you. Mr. Crosland just seems to have had a knee-jerk
reaction (polite version).
Old October 31st 16, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Charles F wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Charles F wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

No problems on the main HD/SD channels (100% strength and quality when I
looked at a mux) but the Notts TV mux (which is technically out of area
from here, but usually works fine) is alternating between working, having
bad breakup and thinking there's no signal at all.

Andy, that's a useful observation, and matches our experience, esp as we are
on the edge of CP's service area and so likely to be similar to your Notts
signal.

Looks like I'll need to leave it a day or so and see what's happening

Our Humax PVR complained about 'no signal' when recording the Mexican
GP yesterday but actually recorded it all pretty well except for two
short periods when the signal did drop out. We're at the outer edge
of Sudbury coverage (south Suffolk).

--
Chris Green
·
Old October 31st 16, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 31/10/2016 08:36, Charles F wrote:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at present.

Yes

Last night, suddenly at about 22:10 the main BBC Mux descended from
perfect reception, to a pixelated mess in less than 30 seconds. ITV/4
mux was fine, so I carried on watching the news on there. Tried again at
22:25, nothing but severe corruption, so I switched off, and went to sleep !

My guess CCI from Sutton Coldfield (which is bang in line for me,
'behind' Hannington), (though odd it only affected Ch 45, but not Ch 42)

Fine again this morning at 06:30

--
Mark
Old October 31st 16, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:26:31 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

Charles F wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Charles F wrote:

[...]

Here near Tacolneston, there was no such problem, on 104 HD. But there
have been a few times recently where we have seen random glitches, but
they were all brief.

--
Davey.
Old October 31st 16, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes all sorts of vhf and uhf funny things going on while we have these misty
and foggy times. Its yer old ducting again. Should be even mor annoying when
they try to squeeze Freeview into an even smaller space.

"Charles F" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is getting problems with freeview at
present.

We are in Farnham Surrey, and use Crystal Palace TX as that's the best of
the available options . Although we are right on the edge of the service
area freeview is normally rock solid, with the exception of BBC4HD, which
is a lower power mux.

At present though all muxes are showing occasional blocking, to complete
loss of signal. The effect is the same on two Humax recorders, on both SD
and HD muxes. Signal strength is the same as usual using the Humax meters,
and usually the "Quality" meter is at 100% - although I saw it drop to 5%
last night - which probably corresponds to a loss of signal event.

Aerial installation is a decent Blake group A, with a proception head amp
under the eaves, and a proception DA in the loft.

I know there can be tropospheric lifts at this time of the year with high
pressure, and I don't *think* our aerial installation is the problem, but
I thought I'd ask here before I start climbing around on the roof.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Charles F