GMT

Old October 31st 16, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default GMT

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:26:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

Is it not the case that the radio has its own clock and only checks
for network time periodically?

I'd have expected it to check more frequently than every 11 hours, it
hasn't given problems with GMT/BST in previous years.

Roberts 93i Internet radio didn't change the time.

Mine didn't either, but one of the settings is to switch daylight
saving on or off, after which it was correct of course. It can be set
to correct the time from DAB, FM or internet, and I have mine set to
internet, so I don't know what the others would do, but it returned to
the correct time a moment after the network connection was
re-established. I wonder if it's picking up the time from my router,
because if it's going direct to a timeserver there doesn't seem to be
a setting to choose which one. My router has no setting for daylight
saving time so presumably works on GMT all the time.

Old October 31st 16, 07:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

if it's going direct to a timeserver there doesn't seem to be a
setting to choose which one.

Probably using one from pool.ntp.org
Old October 31st 16, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:08:28 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

Is it not the case that the radio has its own clock and only checks
for network time periodically?

I'd have expected it to check more frequently than every 11 hours, it
hasn't given problems with GMT/BST in previous years.

I understood the checking only took place when the radio was in use,
not on stand-by.

I think the change takes place at 2am so are you saying your radio
took until 1pm? Had it been 'on' prior to that time?
Old October 31st 16, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Scott wrote:

I understood the checking only took place when the radio was in use,
not on stand-by.

It was on, I was awake at 01:00BST but asleep by 01:00GMT, I hadn't put
the radio on snooze, to it stayed on all night.

I think the change takes place at 2am so are you saying your radio
took until 1pm? Had it been 'on' prior to that time?

Having remained on overnight, I put it on standby and on again in the
morning when I realised it hadn't altered, it still hadn't altered by
12:00GMT so I pulled the mains lead, it came back with the wrong time,
but within a couple of seconds adjusted from BST to GMT.

Old October 31st 16, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:05:32 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

I understood the checking only took place when the radio was in use,
not on stand-by.

It was on, I was awake at 01:00BST but asleep by 01:00GMT, I hadn't put
the radio on snooze, to it stayed on all night.

I think the change takes place at 2am so are you saying your radio
took until 1pm? Had it been 'on' prior to that time?

Having remained on overnight, I put it on standby and on again in the
morning when I realised it hadn't altered, it still hadn't altered by
12:00GMT so I pulled the mains lead, it came back with the wrong time,
but within a couple of seconds adjusted from BST to GMT.

To my mind this suggests it does not check very often. Maybe next
time the group could carry out an experiment (or 'expurr-riment' as
our physics teacher used to say).
Old October 31st 16, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

Scott wrote:

Is it not the case that the radio has its own clock and only checks
for network time periodically?

I'd have expected it to check more frequently than every 11 hours, it
hasn't given problems with GMT/BST in previous years.

I understood the checking only took place when the radio was in use,
not on stand-by.

I have a Revo internet radio which was on standby all night, but showed the
correct time in the morning. My car didn't show the right time until the
SatNav had found a suitable satellite - even though the DAB radio was on.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 31st 16, 10:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 23:03:28 +0100, Martin wrote:

if it's going direct to a timeserver there doesn't seem to be a
setting to choose which one.

Probably using one from pool.ntp.org

It drifts relative to real time and the time server I use on my PC

Mine never drifts. Maybe it makes a difference whether you set it to
get the time from FM, DAB or the internet?

Old November 3rd 16, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory

On 31/10/2016 10:04, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 09:30:50 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Did someone forget to wind the hands on the DAB transmitters?

Is it not the case that the radio has its own clock and only checks
for network time periodically?

I'm pretty sure mind won't even display the time unless it's tuned to a
DAB station.

If you listen to FM you don't get to know what time it is!

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old November 3rd 16, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

wrote:

Did someone forget to wind the hands on the DAB transmitters?

Is it not the case that the radio has its own clock and only checks
for network time periodically?

I'm pretty sure mind won't even display the time unless it's tuned to a
DAB station.

If you listen to FM you don't get to know what time it is!

You do if using RDS.

--
Chris Green
·