Somebody down my way...

Old October 27th 16, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Somebody down my way...

Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the 800Mhz area
I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its foreign
sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie.
I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by digital
transmissions at some time in the fuuture.
I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video though so
maybe that is too low a level.

Old October 27th 16, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 08:55:57 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the

800Mhz area
I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its

foreign
sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie.
I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by

digital
transmissions at some time in the fuuture.
I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video

though so
maybe that is too low a level.

You *hear* video? What do you hear?

--
Max Demian
Old October 27th 16, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the

800Mhz area
I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its

foreign
sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie.
I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by

digital
transmissions at some time in the fuuture.
I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video

though so
maybe that is too low a level.

You *hear* video? What do you hear?

The 50Hz frame component mainly, with some subtle flanging as the
picture content changes. Are you too young to remember the 405 line
system and the vision-on-sound (and sound-on vision) that occurred as
you moved the fine tuning knob?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 27th 16, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Can you transmit back to them and add some suitably spooky voices in time
for Halloween?

Paul DS.
++++++++++++++

Old October 27th 16, 02:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the

800Mhz area
I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its

foreign
sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie.
I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by

digital
transmissions at some time in the fuuture.
I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video

though so
maybe that is too low a level.

You *hear* video? What do you hear?

Vision on sound was often a problem with early TV sets. And if you tuned
to ch11 when the signal was on ch10 you got a right earoleful of it with
most tellys.

If you get audio and video mixed up on the input to a modulator you get
lovely video buzz.

Some dx tv fans used to use a scanner to search for video buzz, then try
to resolve the picture using a telly.

Old October 27th 16, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Buzzing sound just like everybody else would and indeed used to from
scanning radios. Come on its obvious surely? It was great fun when the
Europeans used band 1 and 3 for tv as you could hear the buzz and knew that
sporadic E or F2 was around. Indeed from here on band 1 you could nearly
always hear Lille 819 line tv buzz in the low end of band one with a three
element beam up high enough and horizontal.

.. .

Old October 27th 16, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I think I still have a Motion Electronics tv sound receiver somewhere
around.

One of the main issues with digital stuff seems to be a kind of whine noise
high pitched, some artifact from the switching going on in the hardware I'd
imagine coupled with el cheapo capacitors that age even before they leave
the factory.

Old October 27th 16, 07:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the 800Mhz
area I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its
foreign sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie.
I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by digital
transmissions at some time in the fuuture.
I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video though so
maybe that is too low a level.

With the old analogue TVs, it was possible for the sound IF to pick up SW
radio if it wasn't adequately shielded. Since there probably isn't much FM
at 6MHz, it hinted at less than perfect AM rejection. The vision IF is
somewhere around 39.5MHz, breakthrough would indicate faulty traps/filtering
at the final IF stage/detector.

You can also get heterodyning of perfectly legitimate transmissins that
shift a weak image of it into a band they shouldn't be.

TV sound is FM, usually its easier to demodulate FM with an AM detector than
the other way round - the Bush/Rank A823 chassis early revisions used a
slope-tuned AM detector. OTOH: some band II radios will just about bring in
the bottom edge of the VHF airband - it depends on the AM rejection (or lack
of) of each individual receiver.

Old October 27th 16, 07:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
Can you transmit back to them and add some suitably spooky voices in time
for Halloween?

When I worked in the shed belonging to a back street bodger - some Chinese
bloke brought a VCR that was dead with a tape stuck in it that he was rather
anxious to retrieve.

The tape turned out to be rather lewd - so while I was soak testing it, I
hooked the loop off a B&W portable onto the UHF out connector.

Apparently the radiated signal was strong enough for the people in the house
to remark that it was not suitable for family viewing................