Surround sound and normal TV

Old September 20th 16, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default Surround sound and normal TV

I've just noticed a few entertainment shows (like Pointless, Dragon Den
etc...) feature surround sound.

Why?

--
Adrian C
Old September 20th 16, 08:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 20/09/2016 19:18, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just noticed a few entertainment shows (like Pointless, Dragon Den
etc...) feature surround sound.

Dunno about Pointless, but I don't think Dragon's Den is in 5.1 ?

Why?

Same reason they are in colour and HD ?

--
Mark
Old September 20th 16, 08:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I've just noticed a few entertainment shows (like Pointless, Dragon Den
etc...) feature surround sound.

Maybe it helps the "broom cupboard pretending to be a lift" to sound
more convincing?

Old September 21st 16, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

One of the issues I get a bit miffed over is old programs, say like Star
Trek, which had mono sound suddenly getting a kind of concert hall effect
that makes it sound a little bit like a speaker in a hall.
Why do people do this. its just like the scourge of the 1960s of mono
reprocessed into stereo by adding delays and tonal changes to simulate
stereo. what it did was ruin the sound and made it almost impossible to
listen to even in mono.

Don't try to add what was not there to start with. Certainly attempt to
remove some noise and even out any frequency response issues, but don't add
things that were never there to start with.