BT Sport

Old September 20th 16, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default BT Sport

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:46:19 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is
there a cure, or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

of course people can watch it - you think they spent all that money on
a pretend
channel they dont expect anyone to watch?

It's not a pretend channel. Even I can receive it. But I can't get it
to work in a
way that is fit for purpose by logging in on their website. It
stutters.

It's probably your broken/misconfigured kit.
By your own admission you are using a router donated from God knows
where, with an unknown setup,

Well, 'God knows where' is that company called BT. Their Hub4 was sent
pre-configured when I transferred to them as my ISP. And it works
perfectly well with everything except BT Sport.

which doesn't work on cabled connections,

Only true as regards my desktop computer, and that seems to be a
recognised problem associated with Vista, which I've acknowledged. The
workaround is to use a wireless dongle which I do, and it works perfectly
well with everything except BT Sport.

My laptop runs Windows 10 and connects wirelessly to the Hub. It works
perfectly well with everything except BT Sport.

There's a pattern emerging, don't you think?

only on wireless and you are getting glitches?
Bloody hell... wireless is so **** these days now that everyone's using
the same few channels virtually on top of each other, that glitching is
inevitable on mostly everything.

If I were in a block of flats in an inner city, or had glitches on
anything else, I might agree with you. But I don't.

Fix your fundamental network problems, use cables and then try it.
Then you might have some credibility. At the moment you have none.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words.

Now perhaps you'd tell us if you have BT Sport, whether you access it over
the web, and whether you have encountered the same problems or not, which
is what I asked.

I don't have BT Sport, but there are some parameters that you haven't
mentioned that might be relevant.

Firstly, choice of browser - I have found that they play videos differently.
For instance Opera is sometimes better than Firefox or Chrome.

Secondly, some browsers allow you to choose external players. For each type
of video file, my version of Firefox allows me to choose its internal
player, Microsoft Media Player, VLC, or (non-Microsoft) Media Player
Classic. This last one is worth installing as it can often play files that
VLC can't.

Thirdly, your anti-virus might be constantly checking and getting in the
way, depending on how you've configured it.
--
Dave W

Old September 20th 16, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Norman Wells
writes

and now they've pulled mail as well which for many will be the final
straw.

I got the official 'update' email one day after my 201 annual payment
had been taken by direct debit.

But it would be a mistake to think they care.

You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

Unfortunately, my move to Plusnet (which includes a real upgrade from
ADSL2 to the much faster VDSL) has been temporarily thwarted by BT
having a waiting list for the connection.
--
Ian
Old September 20th 16, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 20/09/2016 09:53, Dave W wrote:

Secondly, some browsers allow you to choose external players. For each type
of video file, my version of Firefox allows me to choose its internal
player, Microsoft Media Player, VLC, or (non-Microsoft) Media Player
Classic. This last one is worth installing as it can often play files that
VLC can't.

There is also Media Player Classic - Home Cinema which is a free and
open source audio and video player for Windows.

It seems to have more inbuilt video codecs and be able to play properly
a few things that Media Player Classic renders as sound only.

Old September 20th 16, 09:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 20/09/2016 09:53, Dave W wrote:

Secondly, some browsers allow you to choose external players. For each
type
of video file, my version of Firefox allows me to choose its internal
player, Microsoft Media Player, VLC, or (non-Microsoft) Media Player
Classic. This last one is worth installing as it can often play files
that
VLC can't.

There is also Media Player Classic - Home Cinema which is a free and open
source audio and video player for Windows.

It seems to have more inbuilt video codecs and be able to play properly a
few things that Media Player Classic renders as sound only.

Jim

That seems to be what I meant in the first place. Mine is called MPC-HC,
which I assume must mean Home Cinema.
--
Dave w

Old September 20th 16, 10:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 20/09/2016 21:30, Dave W wrote:
"Indy Jess wrote in message
On 20/09/2016 09:53, Dave W wrote:

Secondly, some browsers allow you to choose external players. For each
type
of video file, my version of Firefox allows me to choose its internal
player, Microsoft Media Player, VLC, or (non-Microsoft) Media Player
Classic. This last one is worth installing as it can often play files
that
VLC can't.

There is also Media Player Classic - Home Cinema which is a free and open
source audio and video player for Windows.

It seems to have more inbuilt video codecs and be able to play properly a
few things that Media Player Classic renders as sound only.

Jim

That seems to be what I meant in the first place. Mine is called MPC-HC,
which I assume must mean Home Cinema.

Yes it does.

There is also a Media Player Classic (without the Home Cinema bit) which
is also free, if you want to compare the two.