BT Sport

Old September 18th 16, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

Default BT Sport

On 17/09/2016 21:50, Norman Wells wrote:
Having just moved to BT because Demon my erstwhile ISP decided to drop
its email service as part of an 'upgrade', I've now got BT Sport, only
it's totally unwatchable because there's a stuttttter every few seconds
whenever I watch it.

My friend Google seems to think it's a common problem, but no-one has
much idea how to fix it, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is
there a cure, or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

of course people can watch it - you think they spent all that money on a
pretend channel they dont expect anyone to watch?

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old September 18th 16, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"the dog from that film you saw" wrote in message
On 17/09/2016 21:50, Norman Wells wrote:
Having just moved to BT because Demon my erstwhile ISP decided to drop
its email service as part of an 'upgrade', I've now got BT Sport, only
it's totally unwatchable because there's a stuttttter every few seconds
whenever I watch it.

My friend Google seems to think it's a common problem, but no-one has
much idea how to fix it, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is
there a cure, or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

of course people can watch it - you think they spent all that money on a pretend
channel they dont expect anyone to watch?

It's not a pretend channel. Even I can receive it. But I can't get it to work in a
way that is fit for purpose by logging in on their website. It stutters.

If you want to help, tell us if you can do it and if so how, rather than just
generalise. It's a problem widely experienced it seems from online searches. Do
tell us all how to solve it.

Old September 19th 16, 12:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:46:19 +0100, Norman Wells wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is
there a cure, or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

of course people can watch it - you think they spent all that money on a pretend
channel they dont expect anyone to watch?

It's not a pretend channel. Even I can receive it. But I can't get it to work in a
way that is fit for purpose by logging in on their website. It stutters.

It's probably your broken/misconfigured kit.
By your own admission you are using a router donated from God knows
where, with an unknown setup, which doesn't work on cabled connections,
only on wireless and you are getting glitches?
Bloody hell... wireless is so **** these days now that everyone's using
the same few channels virtually on top of each other, that glitching is
inevitable on mostly everything.
Fix your fundamental network problems, use cables and then try it.
Then you might have some credibility. At the moment you have none.
Old September 19th 16, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:46:19 +0100, Norman Wells wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is
there a cure, or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

of course people can watch it - you think they spent all that money on a pretend
channel they dont expect anyone to watch?

It's not a pretend channel. Even I can receive it. But I can't get it to work
in a
way that is fit for purpose by logging in on their website. It stutters.

It's probably your broken/misconfigured kit.
By your own admission you are using a router donated from God knows
where, with an unknown setup,

Well, 'God knows where' is that company called BT. Their Hub4 was sent
pre-configured when I transferred to them as my ISP. And it works perfectly well
with everything except BT Sport.

which doesn't work on cabled connections,

Only true as regards my desktop computer, and that seems to be a recognised problem
associated with Vista, which I've acknowledged. The workaround is to use a wireless
dongle which I do, and it works perfectly well with everything except BT Sport.

My laptop runs Windows 10 and connects wirelessly to the Hub. It works perfectly
well with everything except BT Sport.

There's a pattern emerging, don't you think?

only on wireless and you are getting glitches?
Bloody hell... wireless is so **** these days now that everyone's using
the same few channels virtually on top of each other, that glitching is
inevitable on mostly everything.

If I were in a block of flats in an inner city, or had glitches on anything else, I
might agree with you. But I don't.

Fix your fundamental network problems, use cables and then try it.
Then you might have some credibility. At the moment you have none.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words.

Now perhaps you'd tell us if you have BT Sport, whether you access it over the web,
and whether you have encountered the same problems or not, which is what I asked.

Old September 19th 16, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well I don't have it, but know some who do. the results seem to be mixed,
though the kind of hiccups you are getting is not the commonest problem I
have heard about, buffering is.

Incidentally, does watching sport make you any fitter?

Old September 19th 16, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 18/09/16 11:51, Norman Wells wrote:

The laptop connects automatically and wirelessly to the Hub4, but I'm
not using a YouView box, just trying to view it on the computer screen.
I do have a Now TV box, but I don't think there's a BT Sport app for
that so I wouldn't know how to view it via that. Attaching the laptop
to the TV via an HDMI lead doesn't help. That just sends whatever is on
the laptop screen, stutter and all, to the TV.

Could be issues with drivers, addressing, OS, firewalls, antivirus,
anti-malware, bandwidth, protocol, ports, plugins, wireless, memory,
processor, emc, rfi, power, signal, connectors, cosmic rays (yup, OK
probably not that) ...

Not every install issue is going to be tested and resolvable by all end
users, given that there are so many facets to technology and you need to
understand by experience and diagnosis which area should be the one to
profitably troubleshoot further.

Simples then. Ring up BT and either get them to assist or get this
unwatchable nonsense taken off your bill?

--
Adrian C

Old September 19th 16, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 00:21:19 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

In article , says...

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Having just moved to BT because Demon my erstwhile ISP decided to drop its email
service as part of an 'upgrade', I've now got BT Sport, only it's totally
unwatchable because there's a stuttttter every few seconds whenever I watch it.

My friend Google seems to think it's a common problem, but no-one has much idea
how
to fix it, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering if anyone here has got it to work properly? Is there a
cure,
or have we all been duped by BT marketing?

What did BT say when you spoke to them about it?

Nothing yet because I haven't so far thought it worthwhile to spend 3 hours hanging
on the phone to someone in India who won't have a clue and will suggest futile,
simplistic measures like resetting the BT hub and rebooting the computer that I've
already tried.

You know the score.

Actually that is a very fair response to my question.

Do BT have user/staff forums? I use TalkTalk, an ISP with a very bad
customer service reputation, but their forums are fantastic for the sort
of problem you are talking about.

Exactly that - a whole section devoted to BT Sport

https://community.bt.com/

and specifically for instance

https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching...g/td-p/1606083

Occasionally someone actually appears who can help but as far as BT
Sport is concerned I cancelled it as soon as it became chargeable. It
was not only unwatchable with freezes etc but there was very little I
actually at the time wanted to watch.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 19th 16, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 19 September 2016 12:47:11 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 00:21:19 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

In article , says...

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says....

[...]

Picture was fine when fixed, but as the camera panned the whole pitch smeared - very poor.

Work fine on my netbook over wi-fi via HDMI to a full HD TV.

OTOH having offered BT Sport inclusive and free when I upgraded to inifinity, BT promised that they would not make BT Sport chargeable without warning me. The first I know they have is when charges appear on a bill.

BT serially incapable of sticking to a deal.

Same happened with BT Broadband Talk - inclusive and free (to get me onto DSL) then charges introduced AND you could NOT port the number out. OTOH having been burned on losing numbers twice before I was careful not to publicise the BTBBT number and just cancelled it.

--
AnthonyL