Why do bbc need so many channels?

Old September 17th 16, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Why do bbc need so many channels?

If you look at I player for bbc 1 and 2 you find an awful lot of the same
things on both at different times. Seems to me that unless they have
something to fill three channels, getting rid of the repeats and using the
space for the bbc4 stuff would be a good idea. They could then use the extra
bandwidth during the evening for something else like making local radio into
stereo, perhaps.
At least on freeview.

Old September 17th 16, 11:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
If you look at I player for bbc 1 and 2 you find an awful lot of the same
things on both at different times. Seems to me that unless they have
something to fill three channels, getting rid of the repeats and using the
space for the bbc4 stuff would be a good idea. They could then use the
extra bandwidth during the evening for something else like making local
radio into stereo, perhaps.

don't understand what you are saying

BBC have 7 unique channels, 1, 2, 4, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament.

During the daytime they all show unique programming (except 4, of course
which doesn't start until the evening because it shares the bandwidth with
one of the kids channels). Overnight they rerun daytimes programs on
different channels (due to them trying to save money a year or so back).

Are you suggesting that they should simply shut down those channels
overnight and "sell" them to someone else. Who do you think will be
interest in such a slot?

tim

---

Old September 18th 16, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I think my main annoyance with all broadcast digital platforms,
particularly the terrestrial ones is that for those of us who listen to
radio, there are far too many mono and terrible sounding channels. We need
some kind of quality to be on these, not the grotty mono that seems to be
all over the place like a creeping rot.
I think what I was saying regarding 1 and two is that there is no actual
separate identity any more. With such cheap means of being able to watch
stuff online these days, how much longer is there a need for plus 1s and
repeats on bbc 2 of bbc 1 stuff. It would be interesting to know what the
take up of bbc 3 has been since it went online.
BBC four does also repeat things but much much later after its expired from
the other channels and also has unique programs of its own. Its much more
like the bbc 2 we used to have, albeit in the evening for reasons mentioned.

Though it would screw me up, I'd suggest maybe if they need hd then close
the sd stuff and use that bandwidth to create stereo radio stations on
Freeview. Many of the big commercials are now in mono.

I blame the cellphone and blue tooth speaker cult at the moment and of
course the naf sound systems fitted to tvs for this trend. People seem to
have forgotten quite how much better good stereo sound is than mono through
tiny speakers.

Grump.

Old September 18th 16, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I understand the great British gardening challenge is just around the
corner. Personally I'm waiting for the paint drying live program.

or they could resurect the potter's wheel.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 18th 16, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

I understand the great British gardening challenge is just around the corner.

I think it's been done. Wasn't the Big Allotment Challenge just that?

Personally I'm waiting for the paint drying live program.

Well, it's not competitive as such, but there are many clips on YouTube under the
paint drying heading. There's one lovely one over 10 hours long.

Old September 18th 16, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Personally I'm waiting for the paint drying live program.

They'd just repeat a single episode, rather than showing a different
colour for a whole series ...

Old September 18th 16, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:16:25 +0100, charles

Brian Gaff wrote:
I understand the great British gardening challenge is just around the
corner. Personally I'm waiting for the paint drying live program.

or they could resurect the potter's wheel.

They did that last year :-)

Ploughing competitions next?

I think we have already seen that (albeit it hidden inside a farming
competition)

tim

Old September 18th 16, 12:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"tim..." wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:16:25 +0100, charles wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand the great British gardening challenge is just around the
corner. Personally I'm waiting for the paint drying live program.

or they could resurect the potter's wheel.

They did that last year :-)

Ploughing competitions next?

I think we have already seen that (albeit it hidden inside a farming competition)

Don't knock it! One of the earliest fraught-with-mildly-embarrassing-peril human
interest type programmes was the hugely entertaining One Man and His Dog with Phil
Drabble, the precursor of them all. There's something very amusing about a man in a
Barbour standing in the pouring rain for 45 minutes trying to get 7 recalcitrant
sheep in a pen.

Maybe GBBO should move outdoors too.

Old September 18th 16, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sunday, 18 September 2016 12:23:27 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
Don't knock it! One of the earliest fraught-with-mildly-embarrassing-
peril human interest type programmes was the hugely entertaining One
Man and His Dog with Phil Drabble, the precursor of them all. There's
something very amusing about a man in a Barbour standing in the pouring
rain for 45 minutes trying to get 7 recalcitrant sheep in a pen.

Even that was dumbed down when they added a dog to do all the work.

Maybe GBBO should move outdoors too.

Great British Barbecue Off?

Owain