BBC and flash player

Old September 14th 16, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Default BBC and flash player

I notice that flash is no longer needed for BBC sites. Long overdue.
--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old September 15th 16, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:25:18 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

I notice that flash is no longer needed for BBC sites. Long overdue.

I must look again at the full weather forecast on the TV. It wouldn't work
as the TV doesn't have Flash and, when I tried to get Flash, the TV said
"No".
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old September 15th 16, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Peter Crosland wrote:

I notice that flash is no longer needed for BBC sites.

I wish that was true, the first article under the Most Watched section

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37297708

"Sorry you need flash to play this"

Old September 15th 16, 08:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37297708
"Sorry you need flash to play this"

Of course, if you arrange for your browser to lie to the BBC and say
it's a phone instead of a PC, then it will play without flash ...

Old September 15th 16, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

I notice that flash is no longer needed for BBC sites. Long overdue.

Windows 10 keeps updating it automatically though - there was an
update just the other day - so it's not dead yet.

Old September 15th 16, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if you arrange for your browser to lie to the BBC and say
it's a phone instead of a PC, then it will play without flash ...

For the benefit of a non-techie, how would I do that? I use Firefox.

Install the "User Agent Switcher" add-on

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher

then, within the add-on, you can import a recent list of user agents

techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html

then select e.g. "firefox 35 android" from the user agent list before
visiting the bbc website, and it'll give you the HTML5 video version of
the page.

reset user agent to default before visiting other sites, or you'll get
their mobile versions too, which can be a bit limited.

Old September 15th 16, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Maybe, I do not know, but I'm having mega trouble with firefox never showing
me the embedded object to play the content with. I often have to refresh the
page many times to get it to appear for me.

news

Old September 15th 16, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The thing about flash is not that its a bad system, uts that Adobe simply
seems incapable of writing code that is secure and thus keeps on messing
with it, often destroying features like accessibility in the process.