TV aerial distribution amp

Old September 13th 16, 08:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default TV aerial distribution amp

Looks like my Televes miniKom that I have used without problem for
maybe a decade or more has given up the ghost. May just be the PSU but
in case not.....

Can anyone recommend a half decent low gain distro amp with F
connectors and possibly separate UHF/FM/DAB inputs and 6 outputs
preferably one at full gain. 6dB gain per output port will be more
than enough.

I am 28 miles from Emley and have a small multibeam. In the interim I
have put two 2-way passive splitters in series to give me three feeds
of the five I need and all TV's are working without problem - in fact
two of four (there's another split) are still showing full signal!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 13th 16, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Woody
scribeth thus
Looks like my Televes miniKom that I have used without problem for
maybe a decade or more has given up the ghost. May just be the PSU but
in case not.....

Can anyone recommend a half decent low gain distro amp with F
connectors and possibly separate UHF/FM/DAB inputs and 6 outputs
preferably one at full gain. 6dB gain per output port will be more
than enough.

I am 28 miles from Emley and have a small multibeam. In the interim I
have put two 2-way passive splitters in series to give me three feeds
of the five I need and all TV's are working without problem - in fact
two of four (there's another split) are still showing full signal!

Should think Blakes would be worth a look at. I think some of their
stuff is sold be Toolstation and or screwfix.

https://www.blake-uk.com/content/10-product-guide
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 14th 16, 03:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 13/09/2016 20:47, Woody wrote:
Looks like my Televes miniKom that I have used without problem for
maybe a decade or more has given up the ghost. May just be the PSU but
in case not.....

Can anyone recommend a half decent low gain distro amp with F
connectors and possibly separate UHF/FM/DAB inputs and 6 outputs
preferably one at full gain. 6dB gain per output port will be more
than enough.

I am 28 miles from Emley and have a small multibeam. In the interim I
have put two 2-way passive splitters in series to give me three feeds
of the five I need and all TV's are working without problem - in fact
two of four (there's another split) are still showing full signal!

We wouldn't use an amp unless low aerial signals made it necessary.
Normally a six-way splitter (loss 10dB) is fine. Remember that the
splitter drops local RF interference by the same amount as the signal,
so the receiver could be happy with a weaker signal than you might expect.

The number of miles you are from Emley is of less consequence than what
lies between you and that good lady. Assuming minimal obstruction and a
decent aerial you will have 16dBmV at the aerial. Less 10dB at the
splitter and 6dB cable/outlet loss gives 0dBmV, which is 10dB better
than you need to worry about weak signal.

As I said a decent receiver that doesn't interferes with itself too much
(and isn't connected to or near anything else that might emit ****e)
will work on a surprisingly low signal level, as long as that signal
isn't compromised by external interference. Evidence of this was
obtained by me a few weeks ago when we were parked at Muker. Levels from
Bilsdale were around -30dBmV but we were in the middle of a field with
hills all around to screen us from CCI (Bilsdale sneaks in along the
valley) and nothing in the van to generate hash. Faultless reception for
the three days we were there. I used a decent masthead amp of course, so
I suppose this is as much a comment on the amp as on the receiver. But
having said that, I've noticed that in such circumstances the old Humax
DTT box easily outperforms the even older Sony telly. The two are fed
from a splitter that follows the masthead amp.

Old September 14th 16, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bill.

Interestingly I have been through both of the (LG) TVs that have most
loss mainly through splitting. One shows PSB1-3 and Com4 as 50% signal
with Com5&6 as 47% signal, the other is 3% lower on each. The first
shows Leeds TV as 7% and the second as 2% but all signals are 100%
quality and give a perfect picture. Yes I know signal strength is
relative and the percentage is arbitrary, but nonetheless it does
support the view that it is all about quality with DTTV! The nearset
cellular mast anywhere near in line is nearly a mile away but to be
safe I have a Tetra and 4G filter in place already.

These figures I would add is with full and wet leaf cover of chestnuts
that immediately in front of the aerial (about 40m away) so what
happens in winter can only be of benefit!

I think I may get a low gain single port wideband amp as at this stage
I have not combined with FM/DAB which will incur a little more loss.