Oh dear me

Old September 14th 16, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Oh dear me

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:15:41 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 19:42:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

We have to admit it. There are too many channels with ridiculous

time
wasting things on them that have no real value as far as I can

see. The
celebrity culture seems to be hopefully drawing to a close again

in favour
orf what?

Conventional broadcasting is probably stuck forever in a morass of
regulations and traditional procedures that would make it impossible
for them to broadcast anything really meaningful without elaborate
legal disclaimers, "don't try this at home" warnings, and expensive
insurance against having to issue grovelling apologies to people who
claim to be offended by something. Broadcasting has probably had its
day as a useful medium that can actually say things. The internet is
the future. Don't ever expect to see broadcast equivalents of, for
example, "colinfurze" or "photonicinduction" or "electroboom".

I don't think regular broadcasting has ever quite included stunts
like that.

(I would be interested to see someone touch a live mains wire, and
see whether the RCD trips. And then repeat the process touching line
with one hand and neutral with the other.)

--
Max Demian
Old September 14th 16, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:18:08 +0100, "NY" wrote:
"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...he-great-briti
sh-bake-off-mary-berry-and-paul-hollywood-expected-to-quit-after-mel-an
d-sue-step-a7289696.html

It's now expected baking experts Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry

may
be following in Mel and Sue's foosteps, as a source told The

Sun:
"Mary and Paul believe the show works because of Mel and Sue.

It's
always been the four of them together. They are all really

close and
constantly hang out together in between filming."

I presume the price that CH4 paid was dependent on how much of the

existing
programme and presenters they had acquired. If they paid on the

assumption
that Mel, Sue, Mary and Paul would be part of the deal, and have

now
discovered that they won't get them, it makes it a very pyrrhic

victory.
*Surely* their legal team checked that before bidding...

If I was paying 25m pa for a show I would expect the presenters to
be included, as chattel slaves if necessary.

--
Max Demian
Old September 14th 16, 06:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 16:23:19 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

(I would be interested to see someone touch a live mains wire, and
see whether the RCD trips. And then repeat the process touching line
with one hand and neutral with the other.)

I happened to be working in the Tomorrow's World studio (TC7 I think)
when James Burke did precisely that. RCDs were then new, and this was
how they chose to demonstrate how effective they were. I remember it
partly because the script during rehearsal included the usual guff
about "240 Volts flowing through" the wires, and we managed to
persuade them to change it to something a bit more accurate for the
transmission. Mr Burke survived the encounter apparently without any
discomfort, and to the best of my knowledge is still with us today. I
don't know if he makes a habit of touching live wires.

Old September 14th 16, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
"Phi" wrote in message
The BBC fell 10m short of the amount of money required to keep The Great
British Bake Off, BBC News understands.

The corporation is thought to have offered 15m per year to keep the
programme on the BBC.

That would have been double the amount the BBC currently pays for the
show and its sister programmes such as An Extra Slice and the Sport
Relief specials.

But it is understood Love Productions refused to entertain any offers
below 25m per year.

This is a consequence of having programmes made by independent (non-BBC,
non-ITV, non-CH4) company which retains the rights to the format of the
programme. The production company can sell their product to the
highest-bidding distributor. Looks as if BBC need to to tighten up their
legal agreements for formats to programmes - assuming that they (and not
the independent programme maker) has the original creative idea for the
format.

I've never watched it, but how does the "creative input" for bake off differ
from simply being "Masterchef makes cakes"

tim

Old September 14th 16, 08:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 14/09/2016 17:04, Martin wrote:

They aren't included. Channel 4 will get the cost back from advertisers.

and product placement

Old September 14th 16, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

(I would be interested to see someone touch a live mains wire, and
see whether the RCD trips. And then repeat the process touching

line
with one hand and neutral with the other.)

I happened to be working in the Tomorrow's World studio (TC7 I

think)
when James Burke did precisely that. RCDs were then new, and this

was
how they chose to demonstrate how effective they were. I remember it
partly because the script during rehearsal included the usual guff
about "240 Volts flowing through" the wires, and we managed to
persuade them to change it to something a bit more accurate for the
transmission. Mr Burke survived the encounter apparently without any
discomfort, and to the best of my knowledge is still with us today.

don't know if he makes a habit of touching live wires.

Did they tell people not to try it themselves?

How about my second suggestion: touching line *and* neutral? That
should *fail* to trip the RCD (if they work the way I think they do).

--
Max Demian
Old September 14th 16, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

(I would be interested to see someone touch a live mains wire, and
see whether the RCD trips. And then repeat the process touching line
with one hand and neutral with the other.)

I happened to be working in the Tomorrow's World studio (TC7 I think)
when James Burke did precisely that. RCDs were then new, and this was
how they chose to demonstrate how effective they were. I remember it
partly because the script during rehearsal included the usual guff
about "240 Volts flowing through" the wires, and we managed to
persuade them to change it to something a bit more accurate for the
transmission. Mr Burke survived the encounter apparently without any
discomfort, and to the best of my knowledge is still with us today. I
don't know if he makes a habit of touching live wires.

James Burke has got more guts than me. I have twice had a mains shock - once
across the back of my finger as it brushed the mains contacts on a switch;
the other hand-to-hand as I touched something live while my other hand was
resting on the (earthed) case of an appliance. I would not want to repeat
the experience, even if I knew the power would cut off more quickly than the
time it takes my reflexes to pull my hand away. Both times I ended up with
nasty cuts where I gashed my hand on something nearby as I was (reflexively)
pulling it away. Having survived a heart attack a few years ago I take even
more care than I did before to avoid hand-to-hand shocks because it probably
wouldn't do my heart much good.

Maybe RCDs really *do* cut off the power so quickly that you don't get the
full belt of the mains, but I wonder whether H&S would allow an RCD to be
demonstrated that way nowadays.

Yes, James Burke is still with us. I saw him on a documentary a year or so
ago which was looking back at the Apollo missions to the moon which he
reported on at the time. Gosh, he's nearly 80.

Old September 14th 16, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/09/2016 20:56, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

"Creative Input" is doing the baking in a tent.

Old September 14th 16, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

They are just paying for the format.
Old September 15th 16, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:40:43 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

How about my second suggestion: touching line *and* neutral? That
should *fail* to trip the RCD (if they work the way I think they do).

I think you'd need to touch them simultaneously within a very small
time interval whilst simultaneously being insulated from everything
else. Not a likely scenario, but I think you're correct to say that
theoretically it shouldn't cause the RCD to trip. I've not felt
inclined to verify this by experiment.