Upgrade PVR or TV

Old September 9th 16, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

Default Upgrade PVR or TV

Can a PVR, VCR or TV be upgraded by having a new tuner fitted?
--
Bill.
Old September 9th 16, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 09/09/16 09:52, Bill Ward wrote:
Can a PVR, VCR or TV be upgraded by having a new tuner fitted?

As a part inside, No (it's difficult).

As an added external box, yes for TV, yes for VCR (why?), no for PVR
(not supported[1])

However an external box needs to provide a compatible interface (SCART,
HDMI) and resolution.

[1] - alas, they ain't no real TiVo's anymore ....

--
Adrian C
Old September 9th 16, 09:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Ward" wrote in message
Can a PVR, VCR or TV be upgraded by having a new tuner fitted?
--
Bill.

Remember that almost anything you buy these days, from a car
downwards, is essentially a computer that thinks it is something else.
A TV, a PVR, and a DTTV VCR fall directly into that category.

So essentially the answer is no.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 9th 16, 11:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 09:52:14 +0100, Bill Ward wrote:

Can a PVR, VCR or TV be upgraded by having a new tuner fitted?

Theoretically yes. In practice, I don't think anybody does this.

As someone has pointed out, a PVR or streaming box, or any other
external device you plug into a TV effectively *is* an upgrade to the
TV, in the sense that it's an additional device that enhances its
abilities. Nowadays we have modular systems rather than modular
devices, so if a device no longer does anything useful, all you can do
is throw it away.

Old September 9th 16, 06:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In what way exactly?
Seems an odd kind of a question. if that worked my smart talk could have hd
added, and I would wager that its the software and chipset that governs
such things not the tuner as we would describe it. After all the channels
are still 8 megs wide as they have always been, even in the analogue days,
and one supposes that the processing from there, in what we used to call the
IF, is totally different in newer models that can cater for all the modern
tv variations etc.

Old September 9th 16, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

After all although technically it would not be beyond the realms of
possibility that a vcr capable of recording the digital signals from a
single channel in a multiplex could be done, why would you bother with solid
state memory available these days in any case. the mechanical contents of
vcrs are very clever and indeed were very nice as a demo of how to get a
quart into a pint pot so to speak. The world has moved on from mechanical
things. I do mourn for recording tape etc, but in the same way some people
like old valve tvs crts old steam trains etc, not as a commercial venture
for the masses.

Old September 9th 16, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Bill Ward" wrote in message
Can a PVR, VCR or TV be upgraded by having a new tuner fitted?

Back in the day - Philips for one, often produced TV chassis with plug in
tuners, depending on region; they might fit VHF, UHF or both.

Through the 90s, it became trendy to include the IF strip in the tuner can.

It wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturers decided to integrate the
decoders in DVB-T tuners. AFAIK: the standard offering is little different
to the analogue variety.

There were some half-assed attempts to standardise pin layouts - but there
ended up being 100s of tuner types.

Old September 9th 16, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
No only the cable Virgin ones.

They're often SMD and pretty much impossible without wrecking the board.
Some are part of the board and can only be dismantled.

There's still a lot of through hole tuners about, desolder the connection
pins - make sure they're all free and you can usually melt the solder on the
tabs and ease the can out bit by bit.

Through plating is a real pig!!!