Astrolabe or inclinometer?

Old September 7th 16, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew Rowland[_2_]

Default Astrolabe or inclinometer?

Been to a couple of houses recently surrounded on all sides by tall trees. One in particular was very keen to get Sky and we spent some time looking for locations where a dish might be able to peer through a small gap in the foliage. I used an inclinometer app on my phone, but found it next to impossible to hold it steady at 23.1° while sighting along it to see if we were looking at sky or forest canopy.
Does anyone know of a device that lets you look along or through it while simultaneously being able to see the bubble or plumb line so you know you are holding the thing level? Or has anyone found an different solution to the problem? Bill said recently 'look SSE and slightly up' but I need a bit more accuracy than that when things are tight! I'll probably construct myself a gadget out of cardboard but I am not sure the best way to go about it...
Old September 7th 16, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 13:44:31 -0700, Andrew Rowland wrote:

Been to a couple of houses recently surrounded on all sides by tall
trees. One in particular was very keen to get Sky and we spent some time
looking for locations where a dish might be able to peer through a small
gap in the foliage. I used an inclinometer app on my phone, but found it
next to impossible to hold it steady at 23.1° while sighting along it to
see if we were looking at sky or forest canopy.
Does anyone know of a device that lets you look along or through it
while simultaneously being able to see the bubble or plumb line so you
know you are holding the thing level? Or has anyone found an different
solution to the problem? Bill said recently 'look SSE and slightly up'
but I need a bit more accuracy than that when things are tight! I'll
probably construct myself a gadget out of cardboard but I am not sure
the best way to go about it...

You can create an inclinometer using a protractor. If you really want to
be fancy, you can also tape it to a spirit level for the duration.

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...V/SatelliteTV/
SatelliteGeneral.html

--
Please reply to newsgroup
Old September 7th 16, 11:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 13:44:31 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Rowland
wrote:

Been to a couple of houses recently surrounded on all sides by tall trees. One in particular was very keen to get Sky and we spent some time looking for locations where a dish might be able to peer through a small gap in the foliage. I used an inclinometer app on my phone, but found it next to impossible to hold it steady at 23.1 while sighting along it to see if we were looking at sky or forest canopy.
Does anyone know of a device that lets you look along or through it while simultaneously being able to see the bubble or plumb line so you know you are holding the thing level? Or has anyone found an different solution to the problem? Bill said recently 'look SSE and slightly up' but I need a bit more accuracy than that when things are tight! I'll probably construct myself a gadget out of cardboard but I am not sure the best way to go about it...

I use one of these currently and have used similar older variants in
the past:

http://cpc.farnell.com/sac/ns1620/sa...ter/dp/AP02309

Worth it when you're in a tight corner and as long as you look after
it, it will always work.
Old September 8th 16, 12:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Andrew Rowland wrote:

Been to a couple of houses recently surrounded on all sides by tall
trees. One in particular was very keen to get Sky and we spent some
time looking for locations where a dish might be able to peer through
a small gap in the foliage. I used an inclinometer app on my phone,
but found it next to impossible to hold it steady at 23.1° while
sighting along it to see if we were looking at sky or forest canopy.
Does anyone know of a device that lets you look along or through it
while simultaneously being able to see the bubble or plumb line so
you know you are holding the thing level? Or has anyone found an
different solution to the problem? Bill said recently 'look SSE and
slightly up' but I need a bit more accuracy than that when things are
tight! I'll probably construct myself a gadget out of cardboard but I
am not sure the best way to go about it...

Would a sextant work?

--
Davey.

Old September 8th 16, 01:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/09/2016 23:20, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Because the difference between being screened and not being screened can
be a fraction of a degree, it is far beyond the accuracy of this sort of
device to give a definite answer. That's unless of course the proposed
dish location is obviously screened or obviously not screened, in which
case...

The only was is to use a dish and some piece of kit that gives a
positive ID on the satellite.

Never mount a dish where it is JUST not screened. Trees grow and move.
You'd be amazed how much the top of a tall tree moves.

Old September 8th 16, 07:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

As I'm sure others will say, aiming for a gap in foliage is making a rod for
your own back. Trees tend to grow and it would not be long before the dish
is obscured or the wind blown branches keep getting in the way and causing
drop outs.
Can you get the dish high enough to get over some that are significantly
shorter, or show signs of being pruned regularly?

Old September 8th 16, 07:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I wonder who owns the trees?
Assuming they are on the premises owned by the intended customer, and its
not in a conservation area, one could fell the trees. Not cheap and a lot
easier to get permission for if they are Leylandii or similar and not normal
native broad leaved trees of course.
Depends how much they really want the sat system. There are times when
things are just not possible, like in the bottom of some Welsh valleys or
the wrong side of a mountain!

Old September 8th 16, 08:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Java Jive wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 13:44:31 -0700, Andrew Rowland wrote:

Does anyone know of a device that lets you look along or through it
while simultaneously being able to see the bubble or plumb line so you
know you are holding the thing level? Or has anyone found an different

You can create an inclinometer using a protractor. If you really want to
be fancy, you can also tape it to a spirit level for the duration.

If you want to be fancier, then support the protractor/straw contraption about
its own rotation/balance point, with a weight placed centrally and directly
below that balance point, so it always hangs plumb in the first place.

You need to look at a plumb line/spirit level, but if the device IS the
plumb "line", it will "just work"[tm]
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

Old September 8th 16, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

If you need to be that accurate surely other factors are going to change
things from day to day anyway. If you are going to "peer through a
small gap in the foliage" then being accurate to a fraction of a
degree isn'g going to help at all is it?

--
Chris Green
·
Old September 8th 16, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

[...]

Get the free Satellite Director. Turn on your GPS, set the satellite
you want, and set it into camera mode. It will place a vertical line
on the screen on top of which is a circle where the satellite sits. As
it is superimposed on the camera picture you will be able to easily
find a clear view.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com