with regard to tv licence

Old September 4th 16, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Default with regard to tv licence

On 04/09/2016 15:15, Martin wrote:

Perhaps all embassies should be enclosed by a Faraday cage.

instead of UK?

I think Article 27 might be engaged.

--
Robin
Old September 4th 16, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Robin
wrote:

I doubt very much the BBC would say any such thing. Apart from
anything else, it's a myth that embassies are treated as foreign
territory. They remain the territory of the host state. It's the
Vienna Convention which governs what can and can't be done.

So why has Assange not been removed from the embassy in which he is
currently residing?

More importantly the murderer of the WPC killed by a shot from inside the
Libyan embassy

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 4th 16, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Roderick
Stewart writes
On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 13:49:01 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

People over 75 are not exempt from the legislation on TV licences. They
just have the option of a free licence.

Doesn't that make them exempt from the *relevance* of the legislation,
which in practice amounts to the same thing?

They are not exempt. What age 75 brings is the *opportunity* to request
a free licence. If they don't apply for a free licence then they have
to pay.

Hmm. I don't yet have that opportunity, but I wonder how I'll make
this difficult choice - pay for a licence or not pay for a licence?

Whether it be nobler in the mind to suffer.....
Oh, bugger it! I'll have a fee one (if you insist).
--
Ian
Old September 4th 16, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 14:02:56 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

Good point. Even while a laptop is connected to the mains via its
power supply, it's actually running from the battery. The power supply
isn't directly powering the laptop.

Really? I took the battery out of mine whilst it was plugged into the
mains and it carried on running.
I'm fairly sure the same applied to the previous ones.
Old September 4th 16, 03:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 04/09/2016 16:43, Ian Jackson wrote:

Oh, bugger it! I'll have a fee one (if you insist).

For want on an "r", 145.50 was lost

--
Robin
Old September 4th 16, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 04/09/2016 16:31, charles wrote:
More importantly the murderer of the WPC killed by a shot from inside the
Libyan embassy

That was Article 22 again.

It's enshrined in UK law in the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964 if you
want the directly applicable law.

--
Robin
Old September 4th 16, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Robin
writes
On 04/09/2016 16:43, Ian Jackson wrote:

Oh, bugger it! I'll have a fee one (if you insist).

For want on an "r", 145.50 was lost

Bugger, Bugger, and thrice BUGGER!
--
Ian
Old September 4th 16, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

wrote:

Good point. Even while a laptop is connected to the mains via its
power supply, it's actually running from the battery. The power supply
isn't directly powering the laptop.

Really? I took the battery out of mine whilst it was plugged into the
mains and it carried on running.
I'm fairly sure the same applied to the previous ones.

That's my low-tech, DIY "battery life extender" app on laptops which
don't have a higher tech one.

--
Robin