A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Sky News v BBC News



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 27th 16, 02:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,190
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:41:00 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Hard to see how a truck that was unlikely to have been over 5m and
had already passed under numerous motorway bridges could suddenly hit
one.


Driver has some sort of medical emergency, veers off the carriageway and
removes a supporting column?

No supporting columns were harmed in this incident.

This seems to be the bridge involved (Google Street View):
https://goo.gl/maps/fRHLtT7oTyr

This report has photos of the incident from various angles:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...FB_mirror_main


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #12  
Old August 27th 16, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,190
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:19 +0100, charles
wrote:


but your passIn article , Scott
wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:31 +0200, Martin wrote:


On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:44:52 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
Sky had a still picture and a witness report of the M20 bridge
collapse 25 minutes before the BBC showed anything. Sky also had
video just a few minutes after the still picture.

I wonder if people are now think of Sky rather than the BBC when they
are a witness at a dramatic event. Hmm...

Really who cares! It's not going to change the world if we know (or
don't know) about an M20 bridge collapse within 1 minute, i hour, 1 day
or whatever of when it happened.

It might do if you are about to use that section of the M20 or even the
pedestrian bridge :-)


Watching television is not permitted while driving/


but your passengers might be watching and just happen to be following the
lastest news.


And of course there's that old-fangled thing called radio.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #13  
Old August 27th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 15:35:38 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:19 +0100, charles
wrote:


but your passIn article , Scott
wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:31 +0200, Martin wrote:


On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:44:52 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
Sky had a still picture and a witness report of the M20 bridge
collapse 25 minutes before the BBC showed anything. Sky also had
video just a few minutes after the still picture.

I wonder if people are now think of Sky rather than the BBC when they
are a witness at a dramatic event. Hmm...

Really who cares! It's not going to change the world if we know (or
don't know) about an M20 bridge collapse within 1 minute, i hour, 1 day
or whatever of when it happened.

It might do if you are about to use that section of the M20 or even the
pedestrian bridge :-)


Watching television is not permitted while driving/


but your passengers might be watching and just happen to be following the
lastest news.


And of course there's that old-fangled thing called radio.


And which radio staton is operated by Sky News?
  #14  
Old August 27th 16, 02:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,187
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 16:08:09 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 06:36:42 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 27 August 2016 13:48:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Sky had a still picture and a witness report of the M20 bridge collapse
25 minutes before the BBC showed anything. Sky also had video just a few
minutes after the still picture.

I wonder if people are now think of Sky rather than the BBC when they
are a witness at a dramatic event. Hmm...

Really who cares! It's not going to change the world if we know (or
don't know) about an M20 bridge collapse within 1 minute, i hour, 1
day or whatever of when it happened.

--
Chris Green


It will certainly change your weekend if you had been planning to drive to Dover and catch a [booked] train / ferry.

Hard to see how a truck that was unlikely to have been over 5m and had already passed under numerous motorway bridges could suddenly hit one.


There's a railway bridge in Stoke on Trent that is hit frequently by trucks.
Yesterday two bridges were hit by trucks in Stoke on Trent.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/nosta...ail/story.html


Do you know if Network Rail are normally reimbursed in full by
insurers without much of an argument, or are there arguments of
signage, sightlines, feet vs metres, betterment etc?
  #15  
Old August 27th 16, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,190
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 15:53:10 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 15:35:38 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:19 +0100, charles
wrote:


but your passIn article , Scott
wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:44:52 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
Sky had a still picture and a witness report of the M20 bridge
collapse 25 minutes before the BBC showed anything. Sky also had
video just a few minutes after the still picture.

I wonder if people are now think of Sky rather than the BBC when they
are a witness at a dramatic event. Hmm...

Really who cares! It's not going to change the world if we know (or
don't know) about an M20 bridge collapse within 1 minute, i hour, 1 day
or whatever of when it happened.

It might do if you are about to use that section of the M20 or even the
pedestrian bridge :-)

Watching television is not permitted while driving/

but your passengers might be watching and just happen to be following the
lastest news.


And of course there's that old-fangled thing called radio.


And which radio staton is operated by Sky News?


I couldn't possibly give that sort of secret information!
(Even if I had it.)


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #16  
Old August 27th 16, 04:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roland Perry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default Sky News v BBC News

In message , at
06:36:42 on Sat, 27 Aug 2016, R. Mark Clayton
remarked:
Hard to see how a truck that was unlikely to have been over 5m and
had already passed under numerous motorway bridges could suddenly hit one.


Not hard at all. The truck clearly has some sort of hydraulic arm on the
back, and these are notorious for gradually lifting en-route. Which is
why they are *supposed* to be tied down.
--
Roland Perry
  #17  
Old August 27th 16, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,190
Default Sky News v BBC News

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 17:12:15 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at
06:36:42 on Sat, 27 Aug 2016, R. Mark Clayton
remarked:
Hard to see how a truck that was unlikely to have been over 5m and
had already passed under numerous motorway bridges could suddenly hit one.


Not hard at all. The truck clearly has some sort of hydraulic arm on the
back, and these are notorious for gradually lifting en-route. Which is
why they are *supposed* to be tied down.


Yes.

The pictures show two vehicles in adjacent lanes with the bridge on top
of both.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...e-collapse.jpg

The one with the hydraulic arm is on the hard shoulder

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #18  
Old August 27th 16, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,968
Default Sky News v BBC News

In message , Scott
writes


And which radio staton is operated by Sky News?


Isn't LBC part of the Sky empire?
--
Ian
  #19  
Old August 27th 16, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Sky News v BBC News

Peter Duncanson wrote:

This report has photos of the incident from various angles:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...FB_mirror_main


Seeing the manufacturer name on the blue mesh, I followed to their
wesite, it seems similar to what they show when replacing the
balustrades without requiring bridge closure, wonder if that might have
been in progress and weakened the bridge?


  #20  
Old August 27th 16, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Sky News v BBC News

Peter Duncanson wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

Not hard at all. The truck clearly has some sort of hydraulic arm on the
back, and these are notorious for gradually lifting en-route. Which is
why they are *supposed* to be tied down.


http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...e-collapse.jpg
The one with the hydraulic arm is on the hard shoulder


But the arm doesn't seem to have reached the bridge, and from another
angle the arm didn't seem to be up.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.