Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

Old October 8th 15, 01:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

Default Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/10/2015 19:39, tim..... wrote:

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

Yes, they are probably on an Astra 'wide beam', so rights issues with
European overspill. If so they need to be encrypted, (and Sky will give
them a discount, or even provide the encryption FOC, if they can be
promoted as a Sky subs package channel)

They seem to be running 1950s +/- films, none of which so far qualify as
classics, so I doubt that there are any rights issues

but explanation appreciated

tim

Old October 8th 15, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

On 08/10/2015 02:11, Bill Wright wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/10/2015 19:39, tim..... wrote:

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

Yes, they are probably on an Astra 'wide beam', so rights issues with
European overspill. If so they need to be encrypted,

Is it encrypted then?

Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single light
switch (I've used so far) upside down, and has news programmes
that make The One Show look like a 1970s OU programme on Quantum Physics.

Also every local TV news programme have two presenters who are exact
clones of Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly.

Sorry, I digress; it seems Talking Pictures is unencrypted on 11671 H SR
22 Meg FEC 5/6, so they simply haven't stumped up for Freesat's EPG then
?

so does that mean that I can "manually" tune in my freesat box to see it?

tim

Can I come home now ?

--
Mark

Old October 8th 15, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single light
switch (I've used so far) upside down,

I had that problem in Italy, so it's isn't just merkins

tim

Old October 8th 15, 01:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/10/2015 17:40, Dave W wrote:

That site is confusing. For where I live it shows channel 81 under
'All' but not under 'HD'. Quite rightly, but it gives no clue that you
need an HD box to see channel 81.

Sigh. As ever, the UK manages to confuse its punters. You don't need an
'HD' receiver per se, you just need a DVB-T2 receiver, but as ever the
marketing fcukwits at Freeview/BBC/DUK etc think we're all too dim to
understand.

That's be because, most are

tim

Old October 8th 15, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_4_]

In article:

tim..... says...

so does that mean that I can "manually" tune in my freesat box to see it?

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_at_28%C2%B0E

--
Ken O'Meara
Old October 8th 15, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single
light switch (I've used so far) upside down, and has news programmes
that make The One Show look like a 1970s OU programme on Quantum Physics.

Why are you in El Salvador?

Sorry, I digress; it seems Talking Pictures is unencrypted on 11671 H SR
22 Meg FEC 5/6, so they simply haven't stumped up for Freesat's EPG then ?

How strange.

Can I come home now ?

Only if you bring us all a stick of rock.

Old October 8th 15, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:09:26 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single light
switch (I've used so far) upside down,

I had that problem in Italy, so it's isn't just merkins

I was recently watching a French TV drama about the WW2 resistance in
France, and in one episode somebody was using a radio transmitter that
had to be plugged into a light socket. The socket looked very much
like a bayonet fitting, just like the ones we use in the UK, but I
thought the French, being continental, would use the continental screw
fitting type. Am I wrong about this, or did the TV props department
not research it correctly?

Old October 9th 15, 02:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 08/10/2015 13:10, tim..... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/10/2015 17:40, Dave W wrote:

That site is confusing. For where I live it shows channel 81 under
'All' but not under 'HD'. Quite rightly, but it gives no clue that you
need an HD box to see channel 81.

Sigh. As ever, the UK manages to confuse its punters. You don't need
an 'HD' receiver per se, you just need a DVB-T2 receiver, but as ever
the marketing fcukwits at Freeview/BBC/DUK etc think we're all too dim
to understand.

That's be because, most are

I don't think we have any higher (or lower) proportions of dim wits
in our population than in Sweden, Germany, or Finland (to name three
DVB-T2 countries)? Though I'm sure Martin will be along in a moment to
tell us everyone in The Netherlands has an IQ of at least 150.

--
Mark
Old October 9th 15, 02:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

I don't think we have any higher (or lower) proportions of dim wits
in our population than in Sweden, Germany, or Finland (to name three
DVB-T2 countries)? Though I'm sure Martin will be along in a moment to
tell us everyone in The Netherlands has an IQ of at least 150.

Only if calculated in Euros.

Old October 9th 15, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

On 08/10/2015 13:10, tim..... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/10/2015 17:40, Dave W wrote:

That site is confusing. For where I live it shows channel 81 under
'All' but not under 'HD'. Quite rightly, but it gives no clue that you
need an HD box to see channel 81.

Sigh. As ever, the UK manages to confuse its punters. You don't need
an 'HD' receiver per se, you just need a DVB-T2 receiver, but as ever
the marketing fcukwits at Freeview/BBC/DUK etc think we're all too dim
to understand.

That's partly because, to many laymen, DVB-T2 (if they've even heard of it)
is synonymous with HD. But as we have seen with Talking Pictures, there are
exceptions - this is 544x576 (not even 720x576) over DVB-T2, broadcast as an
MP4 (usually HD) rather then MPEG (usually SD) stream.

It looks as if Windows Media Centre doesn't receive listings for Talking
Pictures, judging by my experience and a few responses to the thread
"Windows Media Centre in UK - some channels' listings are missing" that I
started, which hint that BDS, who provide the listings that WMC in the UK
uses, may not have added it to the channels for which they supply listings -
and maybe that they never will now that WMC is not supplied with Windows 10
(and is a paid-for extra in Windows 8).