First VW, now: "EU probes TV makers over energy efficiency test scores"

Old October 3rd 15, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default First VW, now: "EU probes TV makers over energy efficiency test scores"

"EU probes TV makers over energy efficiency test scores"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34412501

These things go in Darwinian cycles ... A case of: "Plus ca change,
plus ca la meme chose!"

Scandals like the above, and the VW one, and the horse meat one, are
uncovered, in these days now that investigative reporting is almost
dead usually more by luck than judgement, so legislation is bought in
to control abuse. When twenty years on a new generation has grown up
whatever industry was regulated by the legislation complains that it
is over-regulated, and that it costs too much to abide by the
regulations, and so on. So the current government, usually Republican
or Conservative, sweeps away said regulations. Then, usually sooner
rather than later, there is another scandal.

And also the simple truth is that whatever legislations exist,
unscrupulous people will always find a way around them to make
themselves money at the expense of others. It's a legislative arms
race.

Thus we had the Republicans under Reagan and the Conservatives under
Margaret Thatcher 'simplifying', in other words removing, much of the
financial regulatory system, and some time later we have the mortgage
sub-prime scandal that results in a world-wide slump.

Really, I can't understand why so many right-wing Americans have
trouble with Darwinian theory, when over their own lifetimes and so
obviously right under their noses it can be seen to be happening in
every day life!
Old October 3rd 15, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Java Jive wrote:

Thus we had the Republicans under Reagan and the Conservatives under
Margaret Thatcher 'simplifying', in other words removing, much of the
financial regulatory system, and some time later we have the mortgage
sub-prime scandal that results in a world-wide slump.

Care to cite your evidence that it was the Thatcher era reforms (eg big
bang) which were to blame rather than the Blair/Brown era reforms (eg
FSA)? Bearing in mind (a) things such as CDOs did not take off until
the noughties and (b) Gordon Brown admitted mistakes in setting up the
FSA (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013) and was widely
reported as pressing for "light touch" regulation
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...SA-head.html)?

Of course if it is just your belief that Thatcher was to blame then I
will naturally give that the same respect I do to those who variously
look forward to their 72 virgins, won't turn on a light on Friday
night, etc etc

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old October 3rd 15, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Robin wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

Thus we had the Republicans under Reagan and the Conservatives under
Margaret Thatcher 'simplifying', in other words removing, much of the
financial regulatory system, and some time later we have the mortgage
sub-prime scandal that results in a world-wide slump.

Care to cite your evidence that it was the Thatcher era reforms (eg big
bang) which were to blame rather than the Blair/Brown era reforms (eg
FSA)?

You may find it helpful whilst awaiting JJ's reply to read though Steve
Keen's books which document the genesis and discuss the willful blindness
of the bulk of 'economists' to what was happening. That shows a lot of the
evidence in graphic terms. Also gives you references to go deeper.

You could also look at, say, Michael Roscoe's book "Why things are going to
get worse, and why we should be glad." It is rather more polemic and aimed
at a particular theory, but uses more evidence independent of that to point
back to the same overall genesis from the Thatcher/Regan starting causes.

Both of the above provide many examples showing the data, often with nice
pretty graphs, etc. although be warned that Keen's writing gets a bit
muddled at times.

Bearing in mind (a) things such as CDOs did not take off until
the noughties and (b) Gordon Brown admitted mistakes in setting up the
FSA (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013) and was widely
reported as pressing for "light touch" regulation

You may also care to note that it was a 'western world' crash where the
main undelaying causes - and underlaying debt - were in the USA. It wasn't
a UK crash in isolation. Nor was a 'world crash' caused by Brown. He was a
the hapless victim who happened to be sitting in the chair when the legs
finally broke.

Brown was, alas, as clueless as his predecessors. So he rode the horse as
it galloped towards the cliff... along the way being 'advised' by much the
same crew as his tory predecessors from the big banks, big 'accounting'
sic firms, etc, who were also advising in the USA.

Old October 3rd 15, 12:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 10:57:45 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

I see today that VW owners will not be compelled to comply with the
recall and will be allowed to continue to drive affected vehicles in
their present state. I wonder if this is an exercise in pragmatism
(and not upsetting voters) or a cunning plan to hold VW liable for
extra emissions and levy a huge penalty.
Old October 3rd 15, 12:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Yes, in that particular case probably six of Tories and half-a-dozen
of the New Tories, sorry, New Labour.

Old October 3rd 15, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 10:57:47 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

One of the first things Thatcher did in 1979 was abolish the complicated exchange control regime. At the time a stockbroker complained to me that this would remove a large proportion of his income that was derived from [legitimately] avoid it.
Old October 3rd 15, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 04:46:17 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 10:57:47 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
"EU probes TV makers over energy efficiency test scores"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34412501

Thus we had the Republicans under Reagan and the Conservatives under
Margaret Thatcher 'simplifying', in other words removing, much of the
financial regulatory system, and some time later we have the mortgage
sub-prime scandal that results in a world-wide slump.

One of the first things Thatcher did in 1979 was abolish the complicated exchange control regime. At the time a stockbroker complained to me that this would remove a large proportion of his income that was derived from [legitimately] avoid it.

In any change of that ilk there will always be losers as well as
winners.
Old October 3rd 15, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 03/10/2015 12:17, Scott wrote:

I see today that VW owners will not be compelled to comply with the
recall and will be allowed to continue to drive affected vehicles in
their present state. I wonder if this is an exercise in pragmatism
(and not upsetting voters) or a cunning plan to hold VW liable for
extra emissions and levy a huge penalty.

Good. I suspect the government would have a problem doing otherwise,
after all they agreed to the way the tests were carried out, and the
cars did pass the test. If the cars gave off much more emissions when
driven normally, that is something that the government could have easily
found out.

I have not seen any heavily discounted 2.0 litre VW cars - to my
disappointment!

--
Michael Chare
Old October 4th 15, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Back in the downturn of the 1970s, we were all saing that the trend to move
manufacturing to areas of the uk who worked cheap, assisted by Government
grants was complete madnes, as they were just moving the problem from one
place to another, and if nobody wanted to buy what you actually made there
was no point in making it. Nothing changes nobody learns the lessons of the
past, they just go around sticking plasters on the problems or pretending
they do not exist depending on thier political beliefs.
However when we talk about making things to comply with regulations there
have always been problems as nobody really wants to spend money to test that
things are in fact as they appear.
In my view, one cannot blame makers of whatever for finding a way through
the regulations knowing full well that nobody will notice for years.

Email:

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Robin wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

[...]