A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Red buuton advert BBC R2 today



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old July 23rd 15, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:38:52 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

Ditto my Samsung. I've also tried my Humax HDR-FOX T2 and got the same
result on that. Last night I tried the Humax on 105 and 106, BBC3 HD and
BBC4 HD. The red button (and Text button) worked on 105 but not 106.
I've just tried 123 and 124, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD. Text is available
on 123 but not on 124.


The Humax shows that the HD channels 101, 102 and 123 do have a text
service but that channels 107 and 124 don't.


Coincidence, or not. 101, 102, 105, & 124 are on the PSB3 MUX;
106, 107, & 124 are on the COM7 MUX. Could it be that the BBC
would have to pay more to the COM7 people if they wanted text
included?
--
Roger
  #12  
Old July 23rd 15, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,236
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:16:42 +0100, Roger
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:38:52 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

Ditto my Samsung. I've also tried my Humax HDR-FOX T2 and got the same
result on that. Last night I tried the Humax on 105 and 106, BBC3 HD and
BBC4 HD. The red button (and Text button) worked on 105 but not 106.
I've just tried 123 and 124, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD. Text is available
on 123 but not on 124.


The Humax shows that the HD channels 101, 102 and 123 do have a text
service but that channels 107 and 124 don't.


Coincidence, or not. 101, 102, 105, & 124 are on the PSB3 MUX;
106, 107, & 124 are on the COM7 MUX. Could it be that the BBC
would have to pay more to the COM7 people if they wanted text
included?


That might be the reason.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #13  
Old July 23rd 15, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,283
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:55:55 +0100
"David" wrote:

I'm after the Text to read news and weather, do not know it's name
it's the Text that replaced Ceefax.
Regards
David




"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
...

David wrote:

This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the RED
button on
any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red
button does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?


You may well be able to get the Red Button channel directly by
using channel 601.

Chris


Red Button Service, on the BBC channels, as previously mentioned.

--
Davey.
  #14  
Old July 23rd 15, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 571
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

I don't get this red button stuff, when you go around the channels a channel
is called red button with nothing audible, but a channel up in the 600s
clearly has stuff on it which is supposed to be what was on the red button.
Of course pressing said button only gives me silence.


Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David" wrote in message
...
This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the RED button
on any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red button
does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?
Regards
David



  #15  
Old July 23rd 15, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,608
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On 23/07/2015 16:51, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I don't get this red button stuff, when you go around the channels a channel
is called red button with nothing audible, but a channel up in the 600s
clearly has stuff on it which is supposed to be what was on the red button.
Of course pressing said button only gives me silence.


It's all a regulatorial fiddle. AIUI a 'channel' accessed by an
'interactive' application isn't defined by Ofcom/DMCS/BBC Trust etc etc
as a channel, and therefore doesn't require a public value test, and all
that other red tape. Of course, it's all nonsense, because as pointed
out there it is on Ch 601 (although not so easy to access that way on
Sky/Freesat)


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #16  
Old July 23rd 15, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,236
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

Brian, pressing the red button while on for example the BBC1 channel
will display a text menu for the Red Button Service on top of the normal
video for the programme currently being broadcast. That menu gives a
choice of text pages covering news, sport, weather and other things. One
of the items in the menu will take you away from the current channel to
the so-called Red Button channel, number 601, which carries video and
audio.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:51:18 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I don't get this red button stuff, when you go around the channels a channel
is called red button with nothing audible, but a channel up in the 600s
clearly has stuff on it which is supposed to be what was on the red button.
Of course pressing said button only gives me silence.


Brian


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #17  
Old July 23rd 15, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,283
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:37:11 +0100
Peter Duncanson wrote:

Brian, pressing the red button while on for example the BBC1 channel
will display a text menu for the Red Button Service on top of the
normal video for the programme currently being broadcast. That menu
gives a choice of text pages covering news, sport, weather and other
things. One of the items in the menu will take you away from the
current channel to the so-called Red Button channel, number 601,
which carries video and audio.


Also note that individual pages can be directly accessed once you know
the page number. Just like the old system.

--
Davey.
  #18  
Old July 25th 15, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
J. P. Gilliver (John)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 298
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

In message , David
writes:
I'm after the Text to read news and weather, do not know it's name it's
the Text that replaced Ceefax.
Regards
David

[]
This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the RED
button on
any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red button
does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?

[]
The BBC promo, if by that you mean being told to press the red button,
was wrong - IF what she said is that's how you get the text pages for
news and weather etcetera. The red button gives access to alternative
programming; as others have said, that often just switches to channel
601. (Sometimes there are several of them, all around there - I believe
Wimbledon is a case in point.)

To get the equivalent of the old teletext (though it isn't just a 4024
text system any more), you press a different button: on my remote, it's
labelled TEXT. After a little delay, you'll get a menu at the right of
the current programme, which you then navigate into. It has delays
you'll find familiar if you used teletext.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

As individuals, politicians are usually quite charming, so it is quite hard to
dislike them, but in most cases, it is worth making the effort.
- Mark Williams (UMRA), 2013-4-26
  #19  
Old July 25th 15, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,283
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:51:20 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , David
writes:
I'm after the Text to read news and weather, do not know it's name
it's the Text that replaced Ceefax.
Regards
David

[]
This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the RED
button on
any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red
button does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?

[]
The BBC promo, if by that you mean being told to press the red
button, was wrong - IF what she said is that's how you get the text
pages for news and weather etcetera. The red button gives access to
alternative programming; as others have said, that often just
switches to channel 601. (Sometimes there are several of them, all
around there - I believe Wimbledon is a case in point.)

To get the equivalent of the old teletext (though it isn't just a
40×24 text system any more), you press a different button: on my
remote, it's labelled TEXT. After a little delay, you'll get a menu
at the right of the current programme, which you then navigate into.
It has delays you'll find familiar if you used teletext.


On both my Humax PVR and my Toshiba TV set, if there is no alternative
programming being broadcast, as right now, then both the Red Button and
Text button produce the same Red Button menu. The Text button is for me
the way to exit the Red Button programming.
That may be different when there is special programming, I know about
the extra Sports and Glastonbury channels, but otherwise, they both
lead to the same thing. And as I said before, any page can be addressed
directly by page number.
Red Button does not work, as mentioned, on Ch. 107.

--
Davey.

  #20  
Old July 25th 15, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,236
Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:14:34 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:51:20 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , David
writes:
I'm after the Text to read news and weather, do not know it's name
it's the Text that replaced Ceefax.
Regards
David

[]
This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the RED
button on
any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red
button does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?

[]
The BBC promo, if by that you mean being told to press the red
button, was wrong - IF what she said is that's how you get the text
pages for news and weather etcetera. The red button gives access to
alternative programming; as others have said, that often just
switches to channel 601. (Sometimes there are several of them, all
around there - I believe Wimbledon is a case in point.)

To get the equivalent of the old teletext (though it isn't just a
40×24 text system any more), you press a different button: on my
remote, it's labelled TEXT. After a little delay, you'll get a menu
at the right of the current programme, which you then navigate into.
It has delays you'll find familiar if you used teletext.


On both my Humax PVR and my Toshiba TV set, if there is no alternative
programming being broadcast, as right now, then both the Red Button and
Text button produce the same Red Button menu. The Text button is for me
the way to exit the Red Button programming.
That may be different when there is special programming, I know about
the extra Sports and Glastonbury channels, but otherwise, they both
lead to the same thing. And as I said before, any page can be addressed
directly by page number.
Red Button does not work, as mentioned, on Ch. 107.


On my Humax (Freeview) PVR and my Samsung TV the red button and the Text
button on the remote have exactly the same effect: the "bridge" menu is
displayed. The top item in that menu is currently "Asian Network Prom".
Selecting that switches to Ch601. The other items on the menu are text
services. Selecting one of those displays the text but stays on the
current BBC channel.


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.