Do birds have vandalizing thoughts?

Old June 1st 15, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Do birds have vandalizing thoughts?

I was asked this the other day as it appears a month or so back a bloke was
watching out of his window and saw two blackbirds on one element of a
fairly old tv aerial, from the description, the top row of a reflector.
They were bouncing up and down and gradually loosening the element, when
they flew off he said he saw the element was definitely loose and wobbling
in the breeze.
Could this be a new breed of delinquent blackbirds that are being
infiltrated into the population by aerial riggers to drum up more work do
you think?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old June 1st 15, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 01/06/2015 09:56, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I was asked this the other day as it appears a month or so back a bloke was
watching out of his window and saw two blackbirds on one element of a
fairly old tv aerial, from the description, the top row of a reflector.
They were bouncing up and down and gradually loosening the element, when
they flew off he said he saw the element was definitely loose and wobbling
in the breeze.
Could this be a new breed of delinquent blackbirds that are being
infiltrated into the population by aerial riggers to drum up more work do
you think?

It's funny you say that. I watched a pigeon (aka airborne rat) yesterday
sit on the end of our neighbour's reflector element on their FM yagi, it
was bouncing up and down for a few minutes, when it finally flew off,
the element was left with a noticeable bend. It's been up there for
about 20 years (the yagi not the pigeon)

--
Mark
Old June 1st 15, 07:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:56:58 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 09:56:54 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I was asked this the other day as it appears a month or so back a bloke was
watching out of his window and saw two blackbirds on one element of a
fairly old tv aerial, from the description, the top row of a reflector.
They were bouncing up and down and gradually loosening the element, when
they flew off he said he saw the element was definitely loose and wobbling
in the breeze.
Could this be a new breed of delinquent blackbirds that are being
infiltrated into the population by aerial riggers to drum up more work do
you think?
Brian

Birds were nest-building around that time. We have a blackthorn hedge
adjacent to our house, and magpies were regular visitors recently,
jumping up and down on the top and pulling out bits of twig. I imagine
your blackbirds just fancied including a bit of TV aerial in their
nest. Maybe they wanted to see if they were on Springwatch!

Perhaps the birds were collecting parts to construct a "digital HD"
nest.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old June 2nd 15, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Peter Duncanson
writes

wrote:

[...]

A couple of pigeons, that nest near my garden, put a lot of effort into
breaking off living twigs from the birch trees. They totally ignore
twigs that have already broken off, and lie freely available on the
ground. Could this be because they know that fresh twigs are more
reliable for nests - especially as pigeon nests consist are extremely
minimalistic, flimsy affairs?
--
Ian
Old June 2nd 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/06/2015 08:27, Ian Jackson wrote:

A couple of pigeons, that nest near my garden, put a lot of effort into
breaking off living twigs from the birch trees. They totally ignore
twigs that have already broken off, and lie freely available on the
ground. Could this be because they know that fresh twigs are more
reliable for nests - especially as pigeon nests consist are extremely
minimalistic, flimsy affairs?

New twigs are pliable, dead twigs are brittle. If you were building a
nest, which would you choose?

Old June 2nd 15, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Seems this bouncing behaviour is pretty common then, so out goes my fanciful
thought it was a conspiracy on behalf of underworked aerial riggers.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old June 2nd 15, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Indy Jess John
writes
On 02/06/2015 08:27, Ian Jackson wrote:

A couple of pigeons, that nest near my garden, put a lot of effort into
breaking off living twigs from the birch trees. They totally ignore
twigs that have already broken off, and lie freely available on the
ground. Could this be because they know that fresh twigs are more
reliable for nests - especially as pigeon nests consist are extremely
minimalistic, flimsy affairs?

New twigs are pliable, dead twigs are brittle. If you were building a
nest, which would you choose?

Well..... quite.

But I doubt if pigeons make a conscious choice (otherwise they wouldn't
try TV aerials). More likely, it's an inherited instinctive evolutionary
thing, where pigeons that collected twigs directly from trees were more
successful at nesting and producing the next generation.
--
Ian