TV speakers

Old May 30th 15, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default TV speakers

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?
Listening in a store a while back I was struck by the cheap transistor
radio sounds coming from them.

I mean, its not rocket science is it?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old May 30th 15, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more
profit by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

Old May 30th 15, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more profit
by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

and what percentage of consumers buy such add-ons?

None in my circle

tim

Old May 30th 15, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more
profit by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

If the TV-set-buying public based, to any significant extent, their
purchasing decision on the audio quality, the TV sets on sale would have
better audio. The manufacturers are giving the public what most of them
want: a smart looking set, sound quality immaterial.

Joe Bloggs is, I'm afraid, cloth eared.

Old May 30th 15, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:11:55 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more profit
by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

and what percentage of consumers buy such add-ons?

None in my circle

Those plastic sound bars and surround-sound speaker kits don't look
beefy enough to sound much better than the built-in speakers in a
typical TV set. They certainly wouldn't tempt me even to think about
replacing my 40 year old Bowers and Wilkins units.

Old May 30th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more profit
by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

and what percentage of consumers buy such add-ons?

None in my circle

Those plastic sound bars and surround-sound speaker kits don't look
beefy enough to sound much better than the built-in speakers in a
typical TV set. They certainly wouldn't tempt me even to think about
replacing my 40 year old Bowers and Wilkins units.

Rod

..
+1

DM4 speakers in my case.
--
Pete

Old May 30th 15, 08:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sat, 30 May 2015 14:04:37 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on
how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv
speakers?

Why would they make the TV less profitable when they can make more
profit by selling you a soundbar or 7.1 amp and speakers?

If the TV-set-buying public based, to any significant extent, their
purchasing decision on the audio quality, the TV sets on sale would have
better audio. The manufacturers are giving the public what most of them
want: a smart looking set, sound quality immaterial.

Joe Bloggs is, I'm afraid, cloth eared.

Bill

And when you suggest to them, that rather than buy an expensive
"soundbar", they should instead invest in a simple cable to connect
the TV or STB to the auxiliary input of their existing Hi-Fi system,
they look at you as if you'd just arrived from Mars.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 30th 15, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Saturday, 30 May 2015 20:31:36 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
And when you suggest to them, that rather than buy an expensive
"soundbar", they should instead invest in a simple cable to connect
the TV or STB to the auxiliary input of their existing Hi-Fi system,
they look at you as if you'd just arrived from Mars.

That's because they don't have Hi-Fi systems.

Owain

Old May 31st 15, 12:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 30/05/2015 14:04, Bill Wright wrote:

Joe Bloggs is, I'm afraid, cloth eared.

You soon get used to poor audio. I have my TV (boxes) connected to my
Onkyo AV Amp and 8 speakers. When I go around to relatives I initially
note how poor the sound is from their TVs but after watching for a while
the sound quality doesn't annoy me so much.

Old May 31st 15, 01:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Graham. wrote:

And when you suggest to them, that rather than buy an expensive
"soundbar", they should instead invest in a simple cable to connect
the TV or STB to the auxiliary input of their existing Hi-Fi system,
they look at you as if you'd just arrived from Mars.

My friend Gordon Robbins used be be a travelling salesman for Mars.