Thin TV

Old May 20th 15, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

Default Thin TV

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-MAGNETS.html
Regards
David
Old May 20th 15, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

IMO, I think this is just gimmickry. For one thing, now matter how
thin you make the screen, you still have to get sound out of it
somehow, and it's a consequence of acoustic physics that the smaller
the cabinet, the tinnier the sound. So, the thinner you make the
screen, the more problems you have getting decent sound out of it, and
the more necessary it becomes to use an external unit to produce it.
Really, when they give the power consumption of thin screens, they
ought to add something for the use of an external sound source.

Old May 20th 15, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 20/05/2015 11:33, Java Jive wrote:
IMO, I think this is just gimmickry. For one thing, now matter how
thin you make the screen, you still have to get sound out of it
somehow, and it's a consequence of acoustic physics that the smaller
the cabinet, the tinnier the sound. So, the thinner you make the
screen, the more problems you have getting decent sound out of it, and
the more necessary it becomes to use an external unit to produce it.
Really, when they give the power consumption of thin screens, they
ought to add something for the use of an external sound source.

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:03:00 +0100, David wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-MAGNETS.html
Regards
David

Next gimmick then Thin Sound Bars :-)
Regards
David
Old May 20th 15, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

I suppose there's always electrostatic speaker technology ...

Incidentally, I should clarify that when I called it gimmickry, I
meant as a home TV. I can see that there might be great uses for such
technology in multi-screen displays at rock concerts, etc, it's just
it's value as a display for home video and TV that I was questioning.

Old May 20th 15, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Java Jive" wrote in message
IMO, I think this is just gimmickry. For one thing, now matter how
thin you make the screen, you still have to get sound out of it
somehow, and it's a consequence of acoustic physics that the smaller
the cabinet, the tinnier the sound. So, the thinner you make the
screen, the more problems you have getting decent sound out of it, and
the more necessary it becomes to use an external unit to produce it.
Really, when they give the power consumption of thin screens, they
ought to add something for the use of an external sound source.

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:03:00 +0100, David wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-MAGNETS.html
Regards
David

Use the screen as the speaker baffle

Old May 20th 15, 08:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 May 2015 11:33:54 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

IMO, I think this is just gimmickry. For one thing, now matter how
thin you make the screen, you still have to get sound out of it
somehow, and it's a consequence of acoustic physics that the smaller
the cabinet, the tinnier the sound. So, the thinner you make the
screen, the more problems you have getting decent sound out of it, and
the more necessary it becomes to use an external unit to produce it.
Really, when they give the power consumption of thin screens, they
ought to add something for the use of an external sound source.

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:03:00 +0100, David wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-MAGNETS.html
Regards
David

Many years ago I had some very flat speakers that looked like
polystyrene ceiling tiles. They produced quite a good sound and were
less than 1cm thick. Not on par with a decent set of speakers though,
I would agree. I have not seen them advertsed for ages, but perhaps
that technology has improved now and could be used with the very flat
TV's to be hung on walls.

Steve
Old May 20th 15, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Many years ago, there was a patented system to produce sound from a flat,
well almost flat, surface. I seem to recall they used some weird idea of
ultrasonic transducers fed with a modulated source that was supposed to be
heard.
The main issue as I recall was severe beaming and distortion effects as you
moved around.
So you don't get ought for nought as they say.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old May 23rd 15, 10:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 20 May 2015 11:34:00 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
IMO, I think this is just gimmickry. For one thing, now matter how
thin you make the screen, you still have to get sound out of it
somehow, and it's a consequence of acoustic physics that the smaller
the cabinet, the tinnier the sound. So, the thinner you make the
screen, the more problems you have getting decent sound out of it, and
the more necessary it becomes to use an external unit to produce it.
Really, when they give the power consumption of thin screens, they
ought to add something for the use of an external sound source.

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:03:00 +0100, David wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-MAGNETS.html
Regards
David

Electro-static speakers. These were fairly thin and made by quad. OTOH the picture would wave around...