Aldi DAB radio fir 29.99

Old May 12th 15, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Aldi DAB radio fir 29.99

On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:41:40 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2015 13:43:50 +0100
Jim Lesurf wrote:
IMHO This is a serious gap in the established consumer law. Expect similar
problems to occur in future. The plain reality is that a 'net radio'
consumer item is *NOT* the same as a traditional broadcast radio. People

I think the best advice is simply not to buy a net radio when the technical
specs and base protocols are constantly shifting. If you want to listen to
internet radio use a computer, tablet or smartphone.

That's fine for the living room, but not much use for a bedside radio.

Good advice. I did the same as you recommend, after reading comments on the
Roberts radio.

This advice on the Roberts radio appears to have been blown up out of
all proportion in relation to the original issue. What has happened is
that *one* user has discovered *one* thing it can't receive, and is
effectively pronouncing it useless on the strength of that. The lack
of logic is breathtaking. I would have thought a newsgroup like this
one would be full of engineers.

Unless I'm mistaken, the manufacturers don't even claim that the radio
can do the particular thing that he wants. Not that any radio
manufacturer has ever claimed that their product can receive every
existing station anyway, which has never been a problem before. I
doubt very much that the law would be interested unless a false claim
has been made.

Thiere is irony in the fact that the radio in question has two
different ways of receiving conventional broadcasts as well as the
internet, which can itself be connected in two different ways, as well
as conventional audio inputs and outputs, and file playback from a USB
memory stick, so it must be one of the most versatile units on the
market, and can, quite literally, receive thousands of different
stations. I agree that's not much use if they don't happen to include
the particular station you want, but certainly no basis to pronounce
the radio not fit for purpose.

Old May 13th 15, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 13 May 2015 09:21:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

This advice on the Roberts radio appears to have been blown up out of
all proportion in relation to the original issue. What has happened is
that *one* user has discovered *one* thing it can't receive, and is
effectively pronouncing it useless on the strength of that. The lack
of logic is breathtaking. I would have thought a newsgroup like this
one would be full of engineers.

More than one user has found and complained that Roberts Radios can't cope with
BBC internet radio.

I have one of these radios, and it *can* cope with BBC radio, along
with thousands of other stations. What it can't cope with is the
catchup podcast playback service provided by the BBC, because the BBC
have changed the technical standards since the radio was designed.
Presumably this also applies to other radios, so why single out one
manufacturer?

LOL at lack of logic.

I wanted an Internet radio so that I could listen to the BBC in my bedroom. I am
out of range of FM. When I found that the Roberts Radio can't cope with BBC, I
don't buy one. Instead I use a smart phone in the bedroom and the PC or tablet
elsewhere. What's illogical about that?

There's nothing illogical at all in choosing a piece of technlogy
that's right for the job. That's not what has happened here though.
One radio manufacturer, amongst many others presumably similarly
affected, is being blamed for the inability of one of their products
to do something they don't even claim it can do, and which in any case
is the result of a course of action taken by somebody else (the BBC).
That's what's illogical.

I don't work for Roberts, or have any related vested interest. I've
simply bought one of their products and am very pleased with it
because it does what I want. If it didn't do what I want, even if
there was only one thing out of many that it didn't do, if that thing
was important to me I'd have bought something else instead. What I
wouldn't have done would be to declare the whole thing "unfit for
purpose" just because *one* of its features didn't suit *my* purpose.
Fair's fair.