EUROPE WILL ABOLISH GEO-BLOCKING AND OTHER COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS

Old May 7th 15, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Default EUROPE WILL ABOLISH GEO-BLOCKING AND OTHER COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS

Martin wrote:
UK is not alone in the EU in having a large expatriate population,
the Dutch have 500,000 expatriates, the French have a large number
too and of course there are all the East European immigrants living
in UK. All want to watch TV from their country of origin.

Well I'd like to have free meals from the Savoy Grill delivered to me
but I don't expect to get them!

And it'll be interesting to see where Labour go if they form the next
government given the policy review for them was pithy on the EU's grand
ideas. Eg

"The financing of, for example, television programmes and independent
feature films is largely based on the ability to sell rights
territory-by-territory. The release patterns of premium content are also
determined on a territorial basis to take account of a variety of
national factors (e.g. differences in school holiday dates), so as to
maximise audience reach and thus revenues. So if geo-blocking were to be
abolished, it would be possible for a film to be available online across
the EU via one member state whilst it was still playing in its exclusive
cinema window in another EU territory. In this way, the abolition of
geo-blocking would seriously undermine current UK business models for a
variety of other rights-based media."

see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04...king_up_yours/

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old May 7th 15, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Martin
wrote:
It could save the BBC and others money by not having to employ staff to
write/maintain software to filter by destination iPlayer and ITV Player
etc.

Yes. It could also:

Increase their costs when they want to buy transmission rights to show
material that wasn't produced by the BBC.

Reduce their income from selling the rights to show BBC material to
broadcasters in other countries.

I've noticed that a number of films are 'not available' even in the UK for
'on demand' from the iplayer. The pattern seems to be films whose IPR is
owned by companies who think they can get more money by limiting what the
BBC can do.

Personally, I'd be pleased to see the BBC enabled to sell an 'international
license fee' that allowed someone outside the UK to pay for that, and then
view/listen as if they were in the UK. But I have no idea what the balance
of costs and income would be for such a change.

Old May 7th 15, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 07/05/2015 11:58, Martin wrote:
UK is not alone in the EU in having a large expatriate population, the
Dutch have 500,000 expatriates, the French have a large number too and
of course there are all the East European immigrants living in UK. All
want to watch TV from their country of origin.

Whether an ex pat has the right to access and consume all or some of
their 'home' country's services, might be a point of discussion ?

Yes. Perhaps there should be a mechanism for allowing them to pay the
license fee. That said, I also think that would be a good idea for others
outside the UK as well.

Old May 7th 15, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Jim Lesurf wrote:
Personally, I'd be pleased to see the BBC enabled to sell an
'international license fee' that allowed someone outside the UK to
pay for that, and then view/listen as if they were in the UK. But I
have no idea what the balance of costs and income would be for such a
change.

AIUI the BBC are not at all sanguine at the prospect of having to put
even a toe on the slippery slope of subscriptions which might lead to
subscriptions rather than license fees for UK viewers i.d.c.

Old May 7th 15, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/05/2015 13:19, Robin wrote:
Martin wrote:
It is just applying the same rules to TV that have always applied to
radio.

What rules would those be please?

I'm not sure the *rules* for radio differ, it's just that the BBC pay
the PRS etc the extra dosh for an international audience. I think (but
I've lost track) the better quality BBC radio streams are only available
to UK IP addresses ?

Also worth noting that more and more US radio station streams are
becoming geo-locked to the States now.

--
Mark
Old May 7th 15, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/05/2015 13:36, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 07/05/2015 11:58, Martin wrote:
UK is not alone in the EU in having a large expatriate population, the
Dutch have 500,000 expatriates, the French have a large number too and
of course there are all the East European immigrants living in UK. All
want to watch TV from their country of origin.

Whether an ex pat has the right to access and consume all or some of
their 'home' country's services, might be a point of discussion ?

Yes. Perhaps there should be a mechanism for allowing them to pay the
license fee. That said, I also think that would be a good idea for others
outside the UK as well.

Trouble with that is, it would undermine the BBC's revenue from overseas
broadcasters buying their programmes.

Also interesting that despite the near universal availability of BBC 1
and 2 in The Netherlands, the Beeb are launching this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/2015/bbc-worldwide-announce-first-in-netherlands

--
Mark
Old May 7th 15, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Robin wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:
Personally, I'd be pleased to see the BBC enabled to sell an
'international license fee' that allowed someone outside the UK to pay
for that, and then view/listen as if they were in the UK. But I have
no idea what the balance of costs and income would be for such a
change.

AIUI the BBC are not at all sanguine at the prospect of having to put
even a toe on the slippery slope of subscriptions which might lead to
subscriptions rather than license fees for UK viewers i.d.c.

Yes, I can understand why they would be wary. However the way things are
going I suspect they'll eventually find being able to collect fees for
providing output to people outside the UK handy.

Inside the UK, the lack of requirement to view 'on demand' over the net
seems to me a pointer to the future. As people drift from 'live over-air
broadcast' (for which the fee has to be paid) to 'on demand via the net or
mobile' some change seems unavoidable. Simply a matter of details.

Once that change is made, it may also make sense to extend to outside the
UK. However that will depend on the balance between increase in cost
demanded by material makers and income obtained. No idea how that would
pan out.

It is complicated, though, by the fee being required to view *non*-BBC live
broadcasts. In my limited experience the non-BBC channel systems for 'on
demand' over the net are lousy compared with the BBC iplayer. So maybe
people wanting to go on watching commercial channels over the air will save
the fee. 8-]

Old May 7th 15, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Martin wrote:
It is just applying the same rules to TV that have always applied to
radio.

What rules would those be please?

I'm not sure the *rules* for radio differ, it's just that the BBC pay
the PRS etc the extra dosh for an international audience. I think (but
I've lost track) the better quality BBC radio streams are only available
to UK IP addresses ?

The radio station bitrates provided for access outside the UK are/will be
lower.

Old May 7th 15, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:
On 07/05/2015 11:58, Martin wrote:
UK is not alone in the EU in having a large expatriate population,
the Dutch have 500,000 expatriates, the French have a large number
too and of course there are all the East European immigrants living
in UK. All want to watch TV from their country of origin.

Whether an ex pat has the right to access and consume all or some of
their 'home' country's services, might be a point of discussion ?

Yes. Perhaps there should be a mechanism for allowing them to pay the
license fee. That said, I also think that would be a good idea for
others outside the UK as well.

Trouble with that is, it would undermine the BBC's revenue from overseas
broadcasters buying their programmes.

Yes. Understood. This is a tricky area and its hard to know where the best
balance of cost/benefit would be for the BBC or UK 'fee payers'. Problem
may be that we'd only know after some changes were made.

The snag is that I suspect change *will* happen. So the real question is if
the BBC can devise a proposal that suits them before a change is imposed
that they dislike more than one they might choose for themselves. Simply
going on with cuts is a route to the the BBC fading into nothing.

Also interesting that despite the near universal availability of BBC 1
and 2 in The Netherlands, the Beeb are launching this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/2015/bbc-worldwide-announce-first-in-netherlands

Yes, interesting.

Old May 7th 15, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 May 2015 13:36:10 +0100, Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 07/05/2015 11:58, Martin wrote:
UK is not alone in the EU in having a large expatriate population, the
Dutch have 500,000 expatriates, the French have a large number too and
of course there are all the East European immigrants living in UK. All
want to watch TV from their country of origin.

Whether an ex pat has the right to access and consume all or some of
their 'home' country's services, might be a point of discussion ?

Yes. Perhaps there should be a mechanism for allowing them to pay the
license fee. That said, I also think that would be a good idea for others
outside the UK as well.

It would be an interesting exercise to design a *secure* licensing
system that would allow an expat UK citizen in say Spain to watch BBC
programmes, but prevent his Spanish neighbours from doing so.