computer slow

Old May 5th 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default computer slow

On Tue, 5 May 2015 11:12:29 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

I'm sure I can offer many more critiques as to what is wrong with win7
but I'd need to fire a win7 afflicted machine up to remind me of the
horrors that, quite frankly, I'd prefer to forget.

Well JJ and JBG it just does what I need of it. I don't seem to have
those things as problems, even if I do have several folders open I do
use all the usual progs that most other users do and another 15 or so
graphic, mapping engineering ones, it run's like the wind since the SSD
was fitted, so I think we'll beg to differ leave it there;!...

Same here. I have three machines that run 64 bit Windows 7, all on
SSDs and they all do what I need and are very fast. One of them also
runs Ubuntu and Mint Cinnamon, and they're even faster.

No application takes longer than about 2 seconds to open, and some
feel practically instant. The exception is Gimp running on Windows,
but the Linux version is fine. Thus I have absolutely no incentive to
change anything, and I'm rather glad that for the next five years I
won't need to.

Old May 11th 15, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Johnny B Good
escribió:

And, what's this with the lack of a "Run" option?

And what exactly is wrong with Winkey-R?

You seriously need to take a few chill pills, Johnny. Ranting about
Windows and Linux is well off-topic in this group. We get the message -
you like archaic technology - that's fine, but don't ram it down our
throats. The rest of us want to run OSes that are up to date, are
maintained with security updates and bug fixes, and which actually work.

Perhaps you'd be better off with an abacus.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Old May 18th 15, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 11 May 2015 20:20:12 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

you like archaic technology - that's fine, but don't ram it down our
throats. The rest of us want to run OSes that are up to date, are
maintained with security updates and bug fixes, and which actually work.

And are dumbed-down. That's his point.

Perhaps you'd be better off with an abacus.

How patronising.
Old May 19th 15, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 11 May 2015 20:20:12 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Johnny B Good
escribió:

And, what's this with the lack of a "Run" option?

And what exactly is wrong with Winkey-R?

You seriously need to take a few chill pills, Johnny. Ranting about
Windows and Linux is well off-topic in this group. We get the message -
you like archaic technology - that's fine, but don't ram it down our
throats. The rest of us want to run OSes that are up to date, are
maintained with security updates and bug fixes, and which actually work.

Perhaps you'd be better off with an abacus.

But that would mean chosing from hundreds of abacus distros.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old May 30th 15, 04:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 01 May 2015 20:48:56 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Fri, 01 May 2015 18:10:56 +0100, Dave Farrance wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

However, now that I've reverted back to LM 17.1 KDE, I'm still seeing
the extremely slow enumeration of the folders on the NAS box using
Dolphin.

The KDE4 Dolphin does seem to be designed with the assumption that
you've got a fast CPU. When you display the content of a folder, it
content-sniffs every file and looks inside every subfolder for the
number of files.

If that is truly the case, the dev(s) need their wrist(s) slapping for
such a pointless 'data mining' exercise (it would rather neatly explain
its lethargy though). For navigation through the filing system, there's
really no point in the speculative gathering of additional metadata on
unseen objects that may never be examined.

I can't see any benefit whatsoever to such an algorithm when merely
exploring the filing system. If the user requires such additional data,
all he has to do is use the right click context menu and select
'properties' to get a summary.

Follow up in regard of Dolphin's glacial display of smb shares[1]. I've
been researching this problem off and on this past month (in between
playing catchup with the TV recording schedule and media file processing
jobs) and finally hit 'Paydirt' just half an hour ago.

It turns out to be due to something called "KDE Wallet" (in the "Account
Details" section of "System Settings"). Disabling the KDE Wallet
subsystem considerably reduced the delay from 30 to 45 seconds down to a
mere 1 or 2 seconds (making it only about an order of magnitude slower
that the win2k VM manages). I had to restart LM 17.1 before the benefit
of this change showed itself.

I've long since come to accept the clunky methods for renaming and
moving files using Dolphin (compared to win2k's explorer) so, having
largely eliminated the issue of glacial displaying of smb shares, I can
now make more progress in getting more productive use from the new
hardware upgrade under Linux Mint.

I've been playing with a few distros on the 'troublesome' laptop with
semi encouraging results but put my *nix experiments on hold after giving
up trying to get the latest MythTV distro to recognise the one and only
of my three USB DVB-T sticks that I *know* is linux compatible about a
fortnight back.

Bringing the thread back onto a topic more appropriate to this news
group, now that I've managed to catch up on the TV backlog and retrieved
some 600GB of additional space on the NAS box, thanks to the sterling
work of HandBrake, I can now turn my attention back to that laptop and
turn it into an effective PVR once I've gotten my head around the foibles
of setting up a MythTV box.

I plan on running the MythTV backend services on the laptop and the
front end service on the desktop thus neatly saving the need to leave the
desktop running 24/7, burning 86 watts or so of power when the laptop can
do the same job with a mere 25 watts (or less if the MythTV distro can do
a better power management job than the previous 32 bit version of LM17.1
I'd previously tested with had managed (around 28 watts versus the 22
watts when I'd been running win2k on it).

[1] This problem has been reported on very widely so, for once, it's not
just me that's noticed such distressing behaviour. For anyone else in
this NG who may have also suffered but decided to keep their head down,
I'm sure they will appreciate the information in regard of the part KDE
Wallet seems to have played in this undesirable behaviour.

I haven't yet googled for info on what exactly KDE Wallet's function in
life is but I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it will be of
rather dubious benefit, rather like MS Windows Indexing, all downside and
bugger all upside. However, that remains to be seen after I've had a good
morning's sleep.

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 30th 15, 11:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Which just goes to show that OS bloatware, of whatever variety -
*nix, Windows, or other - is a PITA which should be resisted at
every opportunity. Any programmer who is not sure whether what they
are writing is bloatware, should assume it is by default. Any
programmer who still insists on writing bloatware should take a
cyanide pill at once.

Old May 30th 15, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 30 May 2015 11:19:42 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Which just goes to show that OS bloatware, of whatever variety - *nix,
Windows, or other - is a PITA which should be resisted at every
opportunity. Any programmer who is not sure whether what they are
writing is bloatware, should assume it is by default. Any programmer
who still insists on writing bloatware should take a cyanide pill at
once.

I think you're being just a tad harsh on the developers but, as an
initial response, I suppose it's a perfectly understandable reaction. :-)

The big thing with *nix based distros is that the end user is in with a
much better chance of doing something about the situation than they
would with an MSFT product.

If Microsoft didn't have the rather nasty habit of 'throwing baby out
with the bath water' every time they offered a "New and Improved" desktop
GUI environment, they'd lose a lot of the well deserved criticism that
always arises with each new windows version.

As usual, it's a case of "Horses for Courses" and MSFT windows suits the
needs and desires (and abilities) of the greater mass of consumers that
MSFT deem to be their new[1] target market demographic.

It seems to me a great pity that the desktop/file manager developers
all, to a man, seem to be firmly fixated on the Midnight Commander
paradigm as their 'solution' to the business of file management. To be
fair, this also seems to be the case with MSFT windows ever since the
advent of Vista (an ironically named OS if ever there was one).

Getting back to the business of "KDE Wallet", I've just had a quick
google and found this snippet:

"KDE Wallet Manager

KDE Wallet Manager is a tool to manage the passwords on your KDE system.
By using the KDE wallet subsystem it not only allows you to keep your own
secrets but also to access and manage the passwords of every application
that integrates with the KDE wallet.

Depending on your priorities, it would seem that my initial assessment
wasn't too far off the mark after all.

[1] Well, it *was* new way back in 1995 when windows 95 was first forced
into the public consciousness by a massive spend on "advertising without
end" campaign.

--
Johnny B Good