Why have I done this?

Old April 4th 15, 03:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Why have I done this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Old April 4th 15, 04:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Bill Wright wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

You run an extension from one house another to temporarily power-up the
ring-main (which you isolate at the consumer-unit) of a house that's
been cut-off?
Old April 4th 15, 04:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Dave Farrance wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

You run an extension from one house another to temporarily power-up the
ring-main (which you isolate at the consumer-unit) of a house that's
been cut-off?

Perfectly feasible, but actually that wasn't what I was doing. Anyway,
that would theoretically be dangerous because someone could pull the
plug at at the cut-off house and place their damp left finger on the
live pin and their damp right finger on the neutral pin (as you do).

Old April 4th 15, 07:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Seeing as I cannot see the picture, maybe Bill you are going to exhibit at
Tate Modern and get a zillion quid by selling a generator as art?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old April 4th 15, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 04:32:41 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

You're going to make two mains cables by chopping this assembly in
two? I wouldn't have chosen to put the plugs on first, but as long as
you don't leave it lying around before you've completed the job, it
should be safe.

Or-

It's a teaching aid to demonstrate what not to do and to stimulate
discussion on why not to do it, and one of the plugs isn't actually
wired?

I can't think of any more and await your no doubt startling revelation
with great interest, even though I fear it may make me groan or want
to kick myself.

Old April 4th 15, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

You want to connect two earth circuits together? Only the earth
terminals are connected.

I'll go with that one too ?

I've got a double ended vehicle 'cigarette lighter' lead that I made.
Keeps one vehicle's electronics alive while I change the battery, by
using another vehicle as the power 'donor'

--
Mark
Old April 4th 15, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 04/04/2015 04:32, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

You have a stand-by generator and you want to power the house from it in
the event of a power cut by plugging the lead into a convenient socket?

Old April 4th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Bill Wright
writes
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

Prompted by other peoples comments, is there any chance we could have a
photo of the plugs with the covers removed?
( A different one )
Old April 4th 15, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 04/04/2015 10:51, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 04/04/2015 04:32, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

You have a stand-by generator and you want to power the house from it in
the event of a power cut by plugging the lead into a convenient socket?

Which bit of 'not is it anything to do with generators or inverters'
was unclear ? ;-)

--
Mark
Old April 4th 15, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

Only the natural and earth pins are connected to each other and will
be used to connect two motorhome 12v system together.

I don't know if mains plugs are still used for 12v systems but it was
the case when we hired a cabin cruiser on the Norfolk Broads years
ago, albeit with round pin pluggery.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%