Why have I done this?

Old April 5th 15, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default Why have I done this?

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 13:05:17 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
snip

The only problem was the lead supplied with it to input the power had a
plug which was a bit worn, and it didn't mate reliably with the socket at
the end of the strip. This wasn't fixable. I had a look at the possibility
of fitting a captive mains lead but the unit is very well made and is
totally sealed. Bill

Hello Bill.
There must have been a good reason why you didn't replace the faulty
proprietary plug with a normal 3 pin 13A plug.
Best guess here is that the cable would be too short or was too thick to fit
into the normal plug.

According to Bill's description there isn't a cable coming from the
socket strip.

There are proprietary (shuttered) connectors at each end so that a set
of socket strips can be made into one continuous strip.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old April 5th 15, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian wrote:

Hello Bill.
There must have been a good reason why you didn't replace the faulty
proprietary plug with a normal 3 pin 13A plug.

It is a completely different and as far as I know unique pattern.
Technically the thing is a socket (female). The male plug is fixed into
the end of the unit. It comprises three thin pins in line and close
together.

Old April 5th 15, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Phil Cook wrote:

But semi permanently connecting the power bar end. I'd have bypassed the
fuse in the power bar plug.

Yes I should have done that. It will be a bugger if it blows. Mind you
I'm such a lazy ******* I'll probably cut the cable near the plug (no
danger cos the fuse has blown!), fit a new plug and utilise one more
socket on the unit! Then it really will look an arse won't it?

Old April 5th 15, 07:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian[_11_]

And he said:
The only problem was the lead supplied with it to input the power
had a plug which was a bit worn, and it didn't mate reliably with
the socket at the end of the strip. This wasn't fixable. I had a
look at the possibility of fitting a captive mains lead but the
unit is very well made and is totally sealed.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Hello Peter.
Got it. Thank you.
Of course, the best solution is for Bill to throw away these oddball strips.
He will l then find the proprietory plugs/leads a week or two later,
somewhere, for free. It's always worked for me.
Regards, Roger.

Old April 5th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian wrote:

Got it. Thank you.
Of course, the best solution is for Bill to throw away these oddball strips.
He will l then find the proprietory plugs/leads a week or two later,
somewhere, for free. It's always worked for me.
Regards, Roger.

That technique really does work doesn't it? My uncle lost his camera and
concluded that he'd left it somewhere on holiday. He bought a new
identical one, then the next day he started spring cleaning and found
the old one down the back of the settee.