Why have I done this?

Old April 4th 15, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Why have I done this?

It really wasn't a fair question for me to ask, because it was most
unlikely anyone would get it. I did hope though!

In fact, I have one of those very long strips with 13A sockets on it. I
sort of came across it. One of those meant to go in the back of racking
systems, you know what I mean. Often several are connected end to end,
and for that reason they have proprietary male/female connectors, one at
each end. These are shuttered by the way. Well, as I said I came by one
of these things, a really good quality one which when I looked it up was
worth nearly 80. The only problem was the lead supplied with it to
input the power had a plug which was a bit worn, and it didn't mate
reliably with the socket at the end of the strip. This wasn't fixable. I
had a look at the possibility of fitting a captive mains lead but the
unit is very well made and is totally sealed. So I made up the lead with
a plug on both ends, inserted one plug into one of the row of sockets,
and glued it. To make sure, I also put a jubilee clip around it. I also
glued the shutters closed at both ends. It works. It looks a bit weird
but it's very useful. The only thing is if the 13A fuse goes in the
glued plug I'm buggered. Maybe I should have replaced it with a 6mm
bolt! Or put a 5A fuse in the other plug.

Old April 4th 15, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 04/04/2015 20:00, Bill Wright wrote:

My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

This problem arose repeatedly in the 60s and later when 'the council'
converted a number of pairs of semis into children's homes by knocking
though.

The house was built in 1966, it was the first to be built along the
road, so the supply came from a pole mounted transformer. Because there
was no gas main along the road, Dad opted for electrical storage
heating. The SEB said the house would present too large a load, so it
was placed across two phases. The kitchen, living room, and garage on
one phase, bedrooms/bathroom on the other. The storage heating was on
the forerunner of Economy 7, so it has four sets of everything, to cover
on peak and off peak, and two phases. Consequently the amount of CUs and
meters cover an area of wall of 5 ft by 3 ft ! Dad built a cupboard
around the SEB's finest work ! I can just remember as a nipper visiting
on the day they were there wiring it all up, I collected up the PVC
strippings in a jam jar, and proudly kept them.

Fortunately my father is more than 'savvy' enough to realise the
implications of having two phases within the same dwelling, but I do
wonder what the next occupants of the dwelling will make of it all !

--
Mark
Old April 5th 15, 03:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Bill Wright wrote:

I made up the lead with a plug on both ends, inserted one plug into
one of the row of sockets, and glued it. To make sure, I also put a
jubilee clip around it

Not sure I agree with "The application will be completely safe and
sensible", let's hope it's Ben proof.

Old April 5th 15, 05:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I made up the lead with a plug on both ends, inserted one plug into
one of the row of sockets, and glued it. To make sure, I also put a
jubilee clip around it

Not sure I agree with "The application will be completely safe and
sensible", let's hope it's Ben proof.

I have a plan in mind to shoot Ben.

Old April 5th 15, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

That is logic for you, shoot the possible victim before he electrocutes
himself. This is the logic as seen in Star Trek. We come in peace, shoot to
kill.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old April 5th 15, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 08:55:07 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

That is logic for you, shoot the possible victim before he electrocutes
himself. This is the logic as seen in Star Trek. We come in peace, shoot to
kill.

I think they got that idea from US foreign policy: We are at war,
shoot our allies.
Old April 5th 15, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ash Burton

On 04/04/2015 04:32, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

It has to be an extension lead for use from a existing socket outlet (in
a property) to an external outbuilding/caravan/model railway or powered
antenna/dish which has socket outlets but has no power supply and you
are using this to interconnect the two (otherwise why not use a
conventional extension lead).

Whatever the use i am not convinced by your assertion that it is
completely safe unless it is operated at a voltage less than 110 v

Ash

Old April 5th 15, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian[_11_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
snip

The only problem was the lead supplied with it to input the power had a
plug which was a bit worn, and it didn't mate reliably with the socket at
the end of the strip. This wasn't fixable. I had a look at the possibility
of fitting a captive mains lead but the unit is very well made and is
totally sealed. Bill

Hello Bill.
There must have been a good reason why you didn't replace the faulty
proprietary plug with a normal 3 pin 13A plug.
Best guess here is that the cable would be too short or was too thick to fit
into the normal plug.

Best wishes, Roger.

Old April 5th 15, 02:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

On 05/04/2015 14:05, Ian wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
snip

The only problem was the lead supplied with it to input the power had a
plug which was a bit worn, and it didn't mate reliably with the socket at
the end of the strip. This wasn't fixable. I had a look at the possibility
of fitting a captive mains lead but the unit is very well made and is
totally sealed. Bill

Hello Bill.
There must have been a good reason why you didn't replace the faulty
proprietary plug with a normal 3 pin 13A plug.
Best guess here is that the cable would be too short or was too thick to fit
into the normal plug.

He has. Both ends of Bill's lead have normal 13A plugs.

He's replacing this

[Wall socket][13A plug]----------[prop plug][prop socket on power bar]

With this

[Wall socket][13A plug]----------[13A plug][13A socket on power bar]

But semi permanently connecting the power bar end. I'd have bypassed
the fuse in the power bar plug.

--
Phil Cook
Old April 5th 15, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Phil Cook wrote:

He's replacing this

[Wall socket][13A plug]----------[prop plug][prop socket on power bar]