Why have I done this?

Old April 4th 15, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Why have I done this?

"Graham." wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 04:32:41 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal
reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The
application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

Only the natural and earth pins are connected to each other and will
be used to connect two motorhome 12v system together.

I don't know if mains plugs are still used for 12v systems but it
was
the case when we hired a cabin cruiser on the Norfolk Broads years
ago, albeit with round pin pluggery.

--

A 'natural' pin - now there's a thought?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 4th 15, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Bill Wright
writes
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

Bill

You have two cables that you wish join together, to double the length,
and you've put two sockets on the other one, to make safer and tidier
connections.
--
Ian
Old April 4th 15, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 04/04/2015 15:16, Bob Latham wrote:

When I was around 12 years old I discovered the hard way that the mains
240v on adjacent houses ain't the same thing it's phase shifted by 120
degrees and is 415v different. For heavens sake don't mess with the mains
on two properties.

My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

--
Mark
Old April 4th 15, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 04/04/2015 15:16, Bob Latham wrote:

When I was around 12 years old I discovered the hard way that the mains
240v on adjacent houses ain't the same thing it's phase shifted by 120
degrees and is 415v different. For heavens sake don't mess with the
mains on two properties.

My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

This house has 2 phases incoming, but I only use one.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old April 4th 15, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 16:18:16 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 04/04/2015 15:16, Bob Latham wrote:

When I was around 12 years old I discovered the hard way that the mains
240v on adjacent houses ain't the same thing it's phase shifted by 120
degrees and is 415v different. For heavens sake don't mess with the
mains on two properties.

My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

This house has 2 phases incoming, but I only use one.

I used to be involved with betting shop screen installations. I
visited a shop once where it had been extended into the premises next
door. The satellite receiver and decoder were on a wallboard in the
original shop, but all the screens and audio amplifier were plugged
into the supply in the new side.

The main problem was the deafening hum on the sound.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old April 4th 15, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...404_033147.jpg

Why have I done this? It is not for any suicidal or homicidal reason,
not is it anything to do with generators or inverters. The application
will be completely safe and sensible. Care to guess?

You have a distribution board feeding some electronics. You want to
stop anyone plugging domestic appliances into the two spare sockets,
so you will plug these ends into them. The wires are clamped in the
plugs but not connected.
Old April 4th 15, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian Gaff wrote:
Seeing as I cannot see the picture, maybe Bill you are going to exhibit at
Tate Modern and get a zillion quid by selling a generator as art?

Brian

Brian,

The picture shows me hanging from a washing line. I'm attached only by a
crocodile clip on my foreskin.

Old April 4th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Iain Archer[_2_]

Brian Gaff wrote on Sat, 4 Apr 2015 at 08:24:48:
Seeing as I cannot see the picture, maybe Bill you are going to exhibit at
Tate Modern and get a zillion quid by selling a generator as art?

I _have_ seen the picture. A fine piece of conceptual art.
--
Iain Archer
Old April 4th 15, 08:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:
On 04/04/2015 15:16, Bob Latham wrote:

When I was around 12 years old I discovered the hard way that the mains
240v on adjacent houses ain't the same thing it's phase shifted by 120
degrees and is 415v different. For heavens sake don't mess with the mains
on two properties.

My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

This problem arose repeatedly in the 60s and later when 'the council'
converted a number of pairs of semis into children's homes by knocking
though.

Old April 4th 15, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 16:18:16 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 04/04/2015 15:16, Bob Latham wrote:
When I was around 12 years old I discovered the hard way that the mains
240v on adjacent houses ain't the same thing it's phase shifted by 120
degrees and is 415v different. For heavens sake don't mess with the
mains on two properties.
My parents' house is across two phases, so that's 415 volts available
within the *same* domestic property (and it's only a modest three
bedroom bungalow)

This house has 2 phases incoming, but I only use one.

I used to be involved with betting shop screen installations. I
visited a shop once where it had been extended into the premises next
door. The satellite receiver and decoder were on a wallboard in the
original shop, but all the screens and audio amplifier were plugged
into the supply in the new side.

The main problem was the deafening hum on the sound.

I had exactly the same problem at the social club of an extremely
prestigious car manufacturer.