BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded

Old April 4th 15, 12:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

Default BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:18:19 +0000, JNugent wrote:

You are the one backing the status quo, frightened to let go of the
BBC's oppressive opower to take the money of consumers who don't even
want their services.

I am in favour of new, inventive, ways to allow people to pay for only
what they want.

By forcing people to take out other services they may not want just to
facilitate being able to view the telly?

There are lots of things that I don't want to pay for in life, but I'm
forced to by the state. And they cost a ****ing lot more than ~150 a
year.
Old April 4th 15, 03:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

There are lots of things that I don't want to pay for in life, but I'm
forced to by the state. And they cost a ****ing lot more than ~150 a
year.

Agreed. Paying for health tourism for instance.

Old April 4th 15, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

There are lots of things that I don't want to pay for in life, but
I'm
forced to by the state. And they cost a ****ing lot more than ~150
year.

Agreed. Paying for health tourism for instance.

Did anyone notice....

Farage made the comment about 7000 HIV on the debate the other night.
He was immediately harangued by the Welsh woman and that has been
shown over and over, but Sturgeon then piped up and said something
about 'they are not figures, they are people in need of our help'
which notably hasn't been shown even once that I have seen.

As for BBC impartiality (ha!) on the PM programme last night (R4) they
had some woman on going over the figures saying it was not 7000 but
6000, and then gradually breaking the number down until it was about
1500 - completely overlooking the fact that this was still a cost of
nearly 4m. Oh, and of course they did let (even ask) UKIP to
challenge or discuss these figures - NOT!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 4th 15, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

[...]

OTOH nobody gave the number of British who are treated in the EU outside
UK
every year and Farage never mentions the 2 million UK expats, who rely on
the
medical and social services of the countries they live in. If UK leaves
the EU,
the impoverished British residents of Spain and France will find
themselves
being deported to UK.

No they wont

Brits were welcome to retire to Spain long before they joined the EU, their
money is still going to be welcome if we leave

What will happen, of course, is the automatic right to use Spanish health
services, but anecdotal reports suggest that they are (illegally) trying to
stop that anyway

tim

Old April 4th 15, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
JNugent[_4_]

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

[...]

Are such people exempt from paying taxes in those countries? If so, how
does that work?

If UK leaves the EU,
the impoverished British residents of Spain and France will find themselves
being deported to UK.

For people of working age who haven't got jobs and who ask for money out
of the pocket of the Spanish or French taxpayers' pockets, what's wrong
with that?

And if you are referring to retired people: why would that happen when
they have pension provision by remittance?

Don't fall into the trap of imagining that it is only membership of the
EU which has caused or enabled European mobility.

There were substantial colonies of UK ex-pats - mainly the retired - in
southern Spain before Spain even joined the EU. There are growing
numbers in Italy and Greece, though those locations were always popular
before the UK and (later) Greece were members. Why would those countries
wish to cut itself off from that spending and demand?

Old April 4th 15, 10:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Woody[_5_]

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

[...]

[snip]

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

It also works against the indigenous population as well. My wife
suffers from an untreatable condition that affects her balance and has
caused hearing impairment. She was advised by the Consultant that she
needs two hearing aids so that she will still be able to balance - one
will upset the condition - but the NHS will only supply one. They
won't even let her buy the second, she will have to go private for
both at considerable cost if she needs two as recommended.
Consequently the lack of ability to handle charges has resulted in her
having to put up with partial deafness so that she can be active. Now
is that fair?

Old April 4th 15, 11:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, Woody wrote:

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

It's about damned time we invented a way of charging for it then, for
those who don't qualify. Then we'd see if the freeloaders were quite
so keen to come here to (ab)use our services.
Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me. It really doesn't seem that hard for
them. Nor for any other establishment which suppies goods or services.
Even the little corner shop can manage it.
Old April 5th 15, 06:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Vidcapper[_2_]

On 05/04/2015 00:27, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, Woody wrote:

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

It's about damned time we invented a way of charging for it then, for
those who don't qualify. Then we'd see if the freeloaders were quite
so keen to come here to (ab)use our services.
Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me.

As well as teeth?

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Old April 4th 15, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

. ..

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

[...]

Like Farage, you over look the fact that if UK leaves the EU, a very
large
number of British impoverished expats will arrive in UK. :-)

It also works against the indigenous population as well. My wife
suffers from an untreatable condition that affects her balance and
has
caused hearing impairment. She was advised by the Consultant that
she
needs two hearing aids so that she will still be able to balance -
one
will upset the condition - but the NHS will only supply one.

what is possib;le is limited by UK National insurance contributions.
People pay
far more for health insurance in some places outside UK. They also
pay far
higher pension contributions and income tax.

There has never been any obligation on the UK to provide free medial
insurance
to all comers any more than there is an obligation to allow people
who can;t
support themselves to take up residence. Other countries send people
like that
home.

They
won't even let her buy the second, she will have to go private for
both at considerable cost if she needs two as recommended.
Consequently the lack of ability to handle charges has resulted in
her
having to put up with partial deafness so that she can be active.
Now
is that fair?

The situation is the same with my health insurance in the
Netherlands.
Except in serious cases, it only covers up to 90% of the cost.

She could try turning up at a Dutch hospital with her E111 card in
her hand. :-)

A near Dutch neighbour went to Newcastle for a hip replacement
operation. He
caught a bug, which AFAIK eventually killed him. I'm not sure why
he went to
Newcastle, when we have a very good hospital about a mile away and a
University
teaching hospital 2 miles away.
--

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

Old April 4th 15, 11:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 19:00:33 +0100, Woody wrote:

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

It's an EHIC actually (I not 1).