BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded

Old April 4th 15, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
charles

Default BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded

In article ,
brightside S9 wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

[snip]

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

Not so, see
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ng-regulations

[snip]

but the regulations are this year's. Up till then - waht happened?

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old April 4th 15, 11:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Peter Duncanson

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 21:06:36 +0100, brightside S9
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:49:00 +0100, charles

wrote:

[snip]

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

Not so, see
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ng-regulations

[snip]

but the regulations are this year's. Up till then - waht happened?

Don't ask me, ask your MP. I don't think Farage will be too happy to
know that the Tories have done something about the problem!!

Those regulations replace previous regulations for charging overseas
visitors for some NHS services. Such regulations have existed for
decades. They have been amended from time to time. This is just the
latest amendment.

The 2011 National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors)
Regulations included provisions for free treatment for people from
overseas who were part of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games:
athletes, technical officals, press, broadcasters, etc.

The UK has reciprocal arrangements with many countries for free
treatment of our citizens there, and their citizens here.

There are some serious and dangerously infectious diseases which are
treated free.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old April 5th 15, 12:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 19:00:33 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

I know that, but I bet like many others you both still have E111s.
--

Nope. A piece of paper replaced with plastic - much easier to loose.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 5th 15, 12:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 19:00:33 +0100, Woody wrote:

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

It's an EHIC actually (I not 1).
Old April 5th 15, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, Woody wrote:

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

It's about damned time we invented a way of charging for it then, for
those who don't qualify. Then we'd see if the freeloaders were quite
so keen to come here to (ab)use our services.
Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me. It really doesn't seem that hard for
them. Nor for any other establishment which suppies goods or services.
Even the little corner shop can manage it.
Old April 5th 15, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Vidcapper[_2_]

On 05/04/2015 00:27, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:35:21 +0100, Woody wrote:

Ah but Martin, you are overlooking the fact that most (all?) of
European healthcare other than the UK is based on insurance so there
is a structure in place to charge for services. That is the main
problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone) at the point of
need and there is no means of making charges.

It's about damned time we invented a way of charging for it then, for
those who don't qualify. Then we'd see if the freeloaders were quite
so keen to come here to (ab)use our services.
Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me.

As well as teeth?

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Old April 5th 15, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Woody[_5_]

wrote:

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

It's an EHIC actually (I not 1).

Sorry Paul, a typo. I was having a bad hair day.....

Old April 5th 15, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 10:43:44 +0200, Martin wrote:

Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me.

As well as teeth?

I had one who extracted good teeth to make cash.

Sadly that's the almost inevitable result of the way a paid system
works. Last time I checked it cost about 200ukp to put a crown on a
tooth, but only about 50ukp to pull it out, presumably reflecting the
true costs of doing these things. It's not difficult to see that in
many cases the choice will not be made in the best interests of the
patients' health.

Old April 5th 15, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 07:21:43 +0100, Vidcapper
wrote:

That is the main problem in the UK that the care is free (to anyone)
at the point of need and there is no means of making charges.

It's about damned time we invented a way of charging for it then, for
those who don't qualify. Then we'd see if the freeloaders were quite
so keen to come here to (ab)use our services.
Every time I've been to the dentist's for the last 30 years they have
managed to extract cash from me.

As well as teeth?

No, not for about the same length of time, wisdom teeth excepted, but
they were done in the dental hospital for free.
The whole point of going to the dentist is to try and prevent
extractions of teeth.
Old April 6th 15, 08:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Paul Ratcliffe
writes
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 19:00:33 +0100, Woody wrote:

For the record it has been EH1C and not E111 for about six years.

It's an EHIC actually (I not 1).

An EH(little L)C??
--
Ian