A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

projecting an image



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 982
Default projecting an image

On 03/04/2015 19:54, michael adams wrote:
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
...
On 03/04/2015 18:25, Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill


Do you know anyone who would lend you the sort of projector that plugs into a computer?
If so, you could take a digital photo of the image and then project it from a laptop.


On second thoughts...

If possible scan the image

Load it into a DTP or Paint program

Blow it up to the require final size. Or even bigger

Trace around any lines you need as a guide, with a thick black line.

Flood fill the rest with white so as not to waste ink.

If the program has a "poster" printing option, use that.

Otherwise break it into panes manually and print it onto bank
paper. The problem with the transparent medium may be that that is
too thick to press the impression.

Print all the panels out and join them together. Turn it over and trace
over the lines with an B6 or chinagraph pencil. Offer that up to
the board and go over the lines again presing hard same as with old
fashioned tracing.


Matthias Wandel's brig print makes the printing stuff to real scale easy:

http://woodgears.ca/bigprint/




--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/
  #12  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,381
Default projecting an image

michael adams wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on the
board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft
but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill


You don't say what the relative sizes are, but you could scale
up the image using grids. Draw a grid on the image and a
proportionally larger grid on the board which will show you
where the outlines cross so as to keep it on proportion

or lash up a pantograph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph

using some pieces of timber. Which just needs a two pencil
sized holes - one to trace and one to draw, and holes drilled
to take the pivots where the arms cross.

michael adams


Now that might just work. Definitely worth a try. I can print the
original any size I want, so scaling would be easy.

Bill
  #13  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,381
Default projecting an image

Roger Mills wrote:
On 03/04/2015 18:25, Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill


Do you know anyone who would lend you the sort of projector that plugs
into a computer? If so, you could take a digital photo of the image and
then project it from a laptop.


I discounted this, but thinking again I will ask my IT shop. They are
very helpful.

Bill
  #14  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,381
Default projecting an image

michael adams wrote:

If possible scan the image

Load it into a DTP or Paint program

Blow it up to the require final size. Or even bigger

Trace around any lines you need as a guide, with a thick black line.

Flood fill the rest with white so as not to waste ink.

If the program has a "poster" printing option, use that.

Otherwise break it into panes manually and print it onto bank
paper. The problem with the transparent medium may be that that is
too thick to press the impression.

Print all the panels out and join them together. Turn it over and trace
over the lines with an B6 or chinagraph pencil. Offer that up to
the board and go over the lines again presing hard same as with old
fashioned tracing.


That's more or less how I did the house number for my massive
illuminated house number sign. It would be possible for this, but a lot
of hassle. But maybe . . .

Bill
  #15  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
newshound[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default projecting an image

On 03/04/2015 20:13, michael adams wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on
the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the
loft but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?


You need a lens from an old 35mm single lens reflex camera. Mount it, eg in a hole
through another board, so you can securely position it where necessary between the
well-illuminated original and the target board so as to form an image on it of the
right size.

You may need to darken the room, especially if the image you want is large.


The resulting image would be upside down and reversed left-right.

That's where all the mirrors, prisms and all the rest of the
tricky stuff comes in.


michael adams

...




Upside down isn't a problem, and you could mirror the image by taking a
digital photo, reversing in software and printing.
  #16  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,551
Default projecting an image

Bill Wright wrote:

I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?


How big a board? If it's not too big, goto Youtube and search on "print
on wood" or "photo to wood" and look at the tutorials for DIY
inkjet/laser print transfer to wood, which might save you having to
paint the image at all.

Or use a photo editor to do an edge-detect on the image to save ink,
then print to a mosaic of paper sheets that you tape together, tape it
to the board, then trace all the edges onto the board with a needle or
scratch-awl. Remove and paint.
  #17  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,381
Default projecting an image

Norman Wells wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I
can paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an
overhead projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer
and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to
dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?


You need a lens from an old 35mm single lens reflex camera. Mount it,
eg in a hole through another board, so you can securely position it
where necessary between the well-illuminated original and the target
board so as to form an image on it of the right size.

You may need to darken the room, especially if the image you want is large.


But surely I need a much longer focal length? A normal 35mm camera lens
will cover an area about 1" by 1.5" at a distance of about 50mm.

Bill
  #18  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,381
Default projecting an image

michael adams wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on
the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the
loft but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

You need a lens from an old 35mm single lens reflex camera. Mount it, eg in a hole
through another board, so you can securely position it where necessary between the
well-illuminated original and the target board so as to form an image on it of the
right size.

You may need to darken the room, especially if the image you want is large.


The resulting image would be upside down and reversed left-right.

That's where all the mirrors, prisms and all the rest of the
tricky stuff comes in.


I suppose at a stretch I could print the original really small and mount
it at the focal point, and illuminate with something very very bright.

Bill
  #19  
Old April 3rd 15, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
michael adams[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default projecting an image


"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2015 20:13, michael adams wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on
the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the
loft but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will
be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

You need a lens from an old 35mm single lens reflex camera. Mount it, eg in a hole
through another board, so you can securely position it where necessary between the
well-illuminated original and the target board so as to form an image on it of the
right size.

You may need to darken the room, especially if the image you want is large.


The resulting image would be upside down and reversed left-right.

That's where all the mirrors, prisms and all the rest of the
tricky stuff comes in.


michael adams

...




Upside down isn't a problem, and you could mirror the image by taking a digital photo,
reversing in software and printing.


Or you could project it onto tracing paper and reverse that.

Providing you could find a big enough sheet of tracing paper
that is.



michael adams

....


  #20  
Old April 3rd 15, 08:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 187
Default projecting an image

On 03/04/2015 20:30, Bill Wright wrote:

But surely I need a much longer focal length? A normal 35mm camera lens
will cover an area about 1" by 1.5" at a distance of about 50mm.


And if you reverse the lens?


--
mailto: news {at} admac {dot] myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.