BBC World News HD by satellite

Old April 3rd 15, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

Default BBC World News HD by satellite

An HD version of BBC World News has become available on Astra 1KR
(19.2E) on Wednesday: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2015/21050421.
It's on 11229v and is supposed to cover most parts of Europe:
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprin...KR-Europe.html. So far BBC
World News had been available in SD only, on Hotbird 13E and Astra
19.2E, but not via Freesat (28.2E). An EPG, such as on the Hotbird SD
transmission, appears to be missing.

I discovered it last night when BBC World News relayed ITV's election
debate. Picture quality was similar to ITV HD. The debate itself
appeared a bit lengthy to me, with seven statements to each question.
But the answers were definitely more diverse than in previous years.

Regards,
Uli
Old April 3rd 15, 12:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 03/04/2015 12:55, Ulrich Onken wrote:
An HD version of BBC World News has become available on Astra 1KR
(19.2E) on Wednesday: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2015/21050421.
It's on 11229v and is supposed to cover most parts of Europe:
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprin...KR-Europe.html. So far BBC
World News had been available in SD only, on Hotbird 13E and Astra
19.2E, but not via Freesat (28.2E). An EPG, such as on the Hotbird SD
transmission, appears to be missing.

I discovered it last night when BBC World News relayed ITV's election
debate. Picture quality was similar to ITV HD. The debate itself
appeared a bit lengthy to me, with seven statements to each question.
But the answers were definitely more diverse than in previous years.

Regards,
Uli

I get BBC 24 News on Freesat 200 (I think SD TV gives SD on 200 too)
Regards
David
Old April 3rd 15, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

On 03.04.2015 14:20, David wrote:

I get BBC 24 News on Freesat 200 (I think SD TV gives SD on 200 too)
Regards
David

"BBC News" on Freesat differs from "BBC World News" at most times. BBC
News as a domestic channel is targeted at viewers in the UK, BBC World
News (formerly called "BBC World Service Television") at viewers in
other countries.

According to http://www.bbc.com/news/world-radio-and-tv-14563857 there
is a live stream, but unfortunately it is unavailable in the UK, US,
China and some other countries. The BBC refers to "rights restrictions",
whatever that means.

I wonder why the BBC does not distribute this service on Freeview and
Freesat for domestic viewers. There is a lot of international coverage,
often presented by journalists from these countries. So it's definitely
not suitable for the folks who prefer to see only white faces :-)

Regards,
Uli
Old April 3rd 15, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 03/04/2015 14:37, Ulrich Onken wrote:
[...]

I understand now.
That's the one I get when on holiday in Spain on the room TV, it
absolute rubbish comes over as being for muslim countries with its
coverage, it gives the world no idea of things in the UK.
Would not go down well in the UK with most people.

Always happy if the hotel puts Sky News in the system.

Regards
David
Old April 3rd 15, 02:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

So having hd news is for what purpose exactly? Seeing people die in hd would
not be top of my viewing list.
as for the debate. lasted ten minutes, sorry.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old April 4th 15, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

On 03.04.2015 16:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
So having hd news is for what purpose exactly? Seeing people die in hd would
not be top of my viewing list.

As for the purpose of HD, you might ask the same question for almost any
show on TV. HD is an actual advantage when watching sports events or
travel reports, but for most other contents the sole purpose seems to be
that it's "the default viewing preference" (as SES has put it).

Regards,
Uli

Old April 4th 15, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 04/04/2015 08:55, Ulrich Onken wrote:

As for the purpose of HD, you might ask the same question for almost any
show on TV. HD is an actual advantage when watching sports events or
travel reports, but for most other contents the sole purpose seems to be
that it's "the default viewing preference" (as SES has put it).

Well my TV on HD versions certainly makes a better picture than the SD
version.
Regards
David

Old April 4th 15, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
klaus

David schrieb:
On 04/04/2015 08:55, Ulrich Onken wrote:

As for the purpose of HD, you might ask the same question for almost any
show on TV. HD is an actual advantage when watching sports events or
travel reports, but for most other contents the sole purpose seems to be
that it's "the default viewing preference" (as SES has put it).

Well my TV on HD versions certainly makes a better picture than the SD
version.
Regards
David

HD resolution (if really used on screen at home) puts more info into the
HD news - first time I noticed that was a report from Japan after the
earth quake and flooding near Fukushima. NHK TV HD on Freesat also
served useful to get new perspectives from european cities...