A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 25th 15, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick IOW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.
  #2  
Old March 25th 15, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

In article ,
Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.


One for cable each ear. Possibly less crosstalk between the two signals.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

  #3  
Old March 25th 15, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,756
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

I've never noticed any difference unless you use it with exceedingly high
impedance phones like crystal types of yore.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
Email:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


"Mick IOW" wrote in message
...
Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.



  #4  
Old March 25th 15, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,756
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

Yes, but at such a low impedance, its surely not going to be audible. It
might be that they can make it more robust in the figure of 8 profile,
don't know. I have one here that claims to be non tangle, but it acts more
like a piece of spring steel and won't stay where you shove it.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
Email:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


"charles" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.


One for cable each ear. Possibly less crosstalk between the two signals.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18



  #5  
Old March 25th 15, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 488
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:12:17 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes, but at such a low impedance, its surely not going to be audible. It
might be that they can make it more robust in the figure of 8 profile,
don't know. I have one here that claims to be non tangle, but it acts more
like a piece of spring steel and won't stay where you shove it.
Brian


Somewhere I have a pair of balanced armature headphones of several
thousand ohms each ear. Hardly hi-fi though.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  #6  
Old March 26th 15, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick IOW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:10:04 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've never noticed any difference unless you use it with exceedingly high
impedance phones like crystal types of yore.
Brian


I have enough hearing loss to need hearing aids, I do use a Sonumaxx
hearing loop system which performs ok with most TV programs but with
some films the sound level is just too low!

If it were possible I would like headphones I could wear as well as my
hearing aids set to normal non loop use to be able to have the sound
higher is there any that could help?

Mick.
  #7  
Old March 26th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 488
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:12:56 +0000, Mick IOW
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:10:04 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've never noticed any difference unless you use it with exceedingly high
impedance phones like crystal types of yore.
Brian


I have enough hearing loss to need hearing aids, I do use a Sonumaxx
hearing loop system which performs ok with most TV programs but with
some films the sound level is just too low!

If it were possible I would like headphones I could wear as well as my
hearing aids set to normal non loop use to be able to have the sound
higher is there any that could help?

Mick.



I should think that applying some volume compression between the TV
and the Sonumaxx is the way forward.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  #8  
Old March 30th 15, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_13_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:48:32 +0000, Mick IOW wrote:

Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.


Could it be cheaper just to have two single cables side by side?

Having said that, most decent speaker cables are twin with L and R cables.

I haven't looked inside round cables but I assume they are designed to
coil and bend and may use finer wires.

I note that my Sennheiser HD 25 SP earphones (which are supposed to be
reasonably good quality) have twin cables, so that may say something.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Windows 8.1 on PCSpecialist box
  #9  
Old March 30th 15, 05:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Monday, 30 March 2015 12:15:58 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:48:32 +0000, Mick IOW wrote:

Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.


Could it be cheaper just to have two single cables side by side?

Having said that, most decent speaker cables are twin with L and R cables..

I haven't looked inside round cables but I assume they are designed to
coil and bend and may use finer wires.

I note that my Sennheiser HD 25 SP earphones (which are supposed to be
reasonably good quality) have twin cables, so that may say something.

Cheers

Dave R


Speaker cables are normally quite thick but made of many fine strands so they bend easily. If you are doing a fixed installation you can just use mains cable instead. Given the low frequencies and large currents noise acquisition is not really an issue. The cables to each speaker run separately.

Headphone cables run together till near your head, so crosstalk between the cables will lead to slight blurring of the stereo image. If this is an issue use headphones with twin shielded (coaxial) cables.
  #10  
Old March 30th 15, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 853
Default Is twin core better for a 5m Headphone extension cable?

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:42:35 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Monday, 30 March 2015 12:15:58 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:48:32 +0000, Mick IOW wrote:

Hi all,
Why do some Headphone extension cables have twin cabling is
there an advantage , I need one of 5m length.
Mick.


Could it be cheaper just to have two single cables side by side?

Having said that, most decent speaker cables are twin with L and R cables.

I haven't looked inside round cables but I assume they are designed to
coil and bend and may use finer wires.

I note that my Sennheiser HD 25 SP earphones (which are supposed to be
reasonably good quality) have twin cables, so that may say something.

Cheers

Dave R


Speaker cables are normally quite thick but made of many fine strands so they bend easily. If you are doing a fixed installation you can just use mains cable instead. Given the low frequencies and large currents noise acquisition is not really an issue. The cables to each speaker run separately.

Headphone cables run together till near your head, so crosstalk between the cables will lead to slight blurring of the stereo image. If this is an issue use headphones with twin shielded (coaxial) cables.


The main problem with headphone cable is the need for lightness and
flexibility. The run of unscreened cable isn't long enough for
crosstalk due to the absence of screening to be of any consequence.

However, using a common return wire will introduce such crosstalk
issues on wire thin enough to provide a minimally acceptable
flexibility. Indeed with the spiral wound copper tape over nylon
thread conductor construction as used in telephone handset cords[1],
the problem would become quite significant if a common return wire was
used (much higher resistance per metre compared to a traditional
stranded conductor using the same weight of copper per mile - half an
ohm per metre or so compared to 0.1 ohm or less) in a 3 to 5 metre
headphone cord (coiled or straight).

There's no need to 'screen' the seperate pairs so any headphone
manufacturer of quality will use the high resistance, ultra-flexible
conductor construction laid up in a star quad configuration to null
out inductive crosstalk with the totally insignificant residual
electric field coupling due to the use of unipolar drivers using a
common return merely being attenuated by the presence of the common
return wires adjacent to and either side of each 'signal' wire.
Furthermore, there's no reason to enclose the conductors with a
screening layer which would only compromise the cable's flexibility
for no percievable benefit.

[1] The major downside for the DIYer working with such conductor
construction is that any soldered joints become extremely fragile (the
nylon strands melt away leaving only the fragile copper tape (tinsel)
for mechanical support.

It can be soldered if you can arrange for effective clamping of the
cable to provide strain relief along with a blob of hot glue over each
joint but the more usual way to terminate such conductors to
connection tags is to use crimp connectors which neatly avoids the
melted nylon strands problem.
--
J B Good
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.