Future Of The BBC

Old March 23rd 15, 12:07 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

Default Future Of The BBC

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:08:00 +0000, JNugent wrote:

And what about people who aren't online or who find it difficult or
impossible for whatever reason? Or are you making that a requirement now?
Talk about inflicting your own want, want, wants on other people
regardless...

Have you tried to cross the Thames at Dartford recently? Or tried to
drive into Central London Mon-Fri daytimes?

No I haven't. I can't conceive why I would want to do such a thing as I
live nowhere near London. Are you saying you have to pay for this online
as the only option? Somehow I doubt it.

It's the twenty-first century.

So? We are talking about radio and telly. You do not need a mobile phone
or an internet subscription of whatever type to use it, nor do I see why
one should be necessary. I despise all this inter-dependence on services
and don't see why people like you (obviously in London) should dictate to
people in the farthest flung parts of the UK how they should receive their
service.
You come across as very self-centred and selfish.
Old March 23rd 15, 04:35 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 23/03/2015 13:07, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

[...]

What on EARTH are you ranting about?

You have written two posts, each of which is totally devoid of context.

It is impossible to tell what you are trying to say, but that may merely
mean that you don't know either.

Old March 23rd 15, 05:18 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim S

A further nail in the coffin is the new NEWS website obviously designed by
a 12 year old who was bored.
What was wrong with the old one?

--
Jim S
Old March 24th 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:07:29 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:08:00 +0000, JNugent wrote:

And what about people who aren't online or who find it difficult or
impossible for whatever reason? Or are you making that a requirement now?
Talk about inflicting your own want, want, wants on other people
regardless...

Have you tried to cross the Thames at Dartford recently? Or tried to
drive into Central London Mon-Fri daytimes?

No I haven't. I can't conceive why I would want to do such a thing as I
live nowhere near London. Are you saying you have to pay for this online
as the only option? Somehow I doubt it.

You are right to doubt it. There are also "selected shops" where you
can pay. You can't pay at the crossing.

http://www.londonphototours.com/dart...l-crossing.htm

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge
--
Pete

Old March 24th 15, 08:59 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/03/2015 09:33, wrote:

You are right to doubt it. There are also "selected shops" where you
can pay. You can't pay at the crossing.

http://www.londonphototours.com/dart...l-crossing.htm

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Ha ! I've just looked up the list of shops in my area where you can pay
the charge, and it includes the local 'joke and party' store. How apt !

--
Mark
Old March 24th 15, 09:32 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/03/2015 10:26, Martin wrote:

Ha ! I've just looked up the list of shops in my area where you can pay
the charge, and it includes the local 'joke and party' store.

UKIP Party HQ? :-)

No, but it's often confused with The Rt Hon. Maria Miller's local 'surgery'.

How apt !

One for Private Eye?

Possibly !

--
Mark
Old March 24th 15, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/03/2015 11:34, Martin wrote:

Farage is not all bad. He has a sense of humour and drinks in pubs that sell
Adnams and Harvey's. I don't agree with his politics, but I'd rather spend an
evening drinking with him in a pub, than with the other party leaders.

I did spend a lunchtime in a pub sat about 10 ft from him, I took a
covert picture of him holding a pint, and sent it to my wife. However,
having already had two pints of London Pride myself, I almost, through
banana fingered incompetence, bluetoothed it to Farage's phone instead.

--
Mark
Old March 24th 15, 11:11 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 23/03/2015 18:18, Jim S wrote:
A further nail in the coffin is the new NEWS website obviously designed by
a 12 year old who was bored.
What was wrong with the old one?

I quite agree with you. Full of images and unnecessary white space, one
has to scroll down a huge number of times to get an impression of the
current news stories. And if you have a slow internet connection, e.g.
while away from home, it's very slow.

Have you sent in a complaint? I have - you have to jump through lots
of hoops that are designed to discourage complaining, but that made me
even more determined to do it.

--
Clive Page
Old March 24th 15, 11:14 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

You are right to doubt it. There are also "selected shops" where you
can pay. You can't pay at the crossing.

But one of the ways you can't pay is online - at least that's what I
found (and the website says it is a Beta version) It wouldn't accept my
credit card and I tried several times, but have had no problems getting
it accepted by other retailers. I eventually managed to pay over the
phone, no doubt because SANEF get a share of revenue from incoming phone
calls.

I have complained 3 times (twice to the Dart Charge firm, once to DafT,
but not yet succeeded in getting a response.

--
Clive Page
Old March 24th 15, 12:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:
On 24/03/2015 11:34, Martin wrote:

Farage is not all bad. He has a sense of humour and drinks in pubs
that sell
Adnams and Harvey's. I don't agree with his politics, but I'd rather
spend an
evening drinking with him in a pub, than with the other party leaders.

I did spend a lunchtime in a pub sat about 10 ft from him, I took a
covert picture of him holding a pint, and sent it to my wife. However,
having already had two pints of London Pride myself, I almost, through
banana fingered incompetence, bluetoothed it to Farage's phone instead.

On a related topic, imagine the amount of coverage the BBC would provide
if Ed Milliband and his children were besieged in a local pub by right
wing hooligans, and driven out, the children so scared they disappeared
for a while. Yet the Farage incident was quickly dealt with, and on Five
Live yesterday morning that horrible bloke they have on there seemed to
think the whole thing was a huge joke.