Future Of The BBC

Old March 24th 15, 12:41 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Future Of The BBC

Clive Page wrote:

I quite agree with you. Full of images and unnecessary white space, one
has to scroll down a huge number of times to get an impression of the
current news stories. And if you have a slow internet connection, e.g.
while away from home,

eg while at home.

Old March 24th 15, 01:58 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:14:39 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

You are right to doubt it. There are also "selected shops" where you
can pay. You can't pay at the crossing.

But one of the ways you can't pay is online - at least that's what I
found (and the website says it is a Beta version) It wouldn't accept my
credit card and I tried several times, but have had no problems getting
it accepted by other retailers. I eventually managed to pay over the
phone, no doubt because SANEF get a share of revenue from incoming phone
calls.

I have complained 3 times (twice to the Dart Charge firm, once to DafT,
but not yet succeeded in getting a response.

Interesting. This is the receipt from my last online payment for a
return crossing I made on Sunday 18th January 2015.

Dart Charge Payment
Receipt
PO Box 842, Leeds
LS1 9QF
Visit: www.gov.uk/dart-charge
0300 3000 120
CSR ID: 1000
DATE 18/01/2015 18:09PM
TYPE
ACCOUNT#
PAYMENT TYPE
CARD TYPE
CARD ID
DATE
FJ NUMBER
REF NUMBER
PURCHASE
1015756195
CREDIT
VISA
4**************3
18/01/2015 18:09PM
7912625
150118180924092395GU9
=============================
AMOUNT
5.00
=============================
APPROVED: 092395
--
Pete

Old March 24th 15, 03:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 24/03/2015 12:14, Clive Page wrote:
You are right to doubt it. There are also "selected shops" where you
can pay. You can't pay at the crossing.

But one of the ways you can't pay is online - at least that's what I
found (and the website says it is a Beta version) It wouldn't accept my
credit card and I tried several times, but have had no problems getting
it accepted by other retailers. I eventually managed to pay over the
phone, no doubt because SANEF get a share of revenue from incoming phone
calls.

I have complained 3 times (twice to the Dart Charge firm, once to DafT,
but not yet succeeded in getting a response.

I have made about ten crossings since the new system was introduced.

I have paid every time, and only online.

It isn't ideal, but it works.
Old March 25th 15, 03:04 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 23/03/2015 13:07, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

JNugent wrote:

[ the BBC becoming a voluntary subscription service instead of being
able to pick the pockets of people who don't even want to watch it:]

And what about people who aren't online or who find it difficult or
impossible for whatever reason? Or are you making that a requirement now?
Talk about inflicting your own want, want, wants on other people
regardless...

Have you tried to cross the Thames at Dartford recently? Or tried to
drive into Central London Mon-Fri daytimes?

No I haven't. I can't conceive why I would want to do such a thing as I
live nowhere near London. Are you saying you have to pay for this online
as the only option? Somehow I doubt it.

It's the twenty-first century.

So? We are talking about radio and telly. You do not need a mobile phone
or an internet subscription of whatever type to use it, nor do I see why
one should be necessary.

And neither would it be, just because the BBC became a subscription
service, ensuring that only those who wish to purchase its services need
to do so.

Other channels would still be free-to-air and some others would be
subscription only, like the BBC. In fact, the very existence of
subscription channels right now proves that it can be done without
forcing unwilling buyers to buy what they don't want.

I despise all this inter-dependence on services
and don't see why people like you (obviously in London) should dictate to
people in the farthest flung parts of the UK how they should receive their
service.

I am not in London.

My argument is aimed at preventing people like you from dictating to
poorer people (however defined and wherever they may be located) that
they have to subsidise the BBC so that you can watch it at less than it
costs, per capita audience, to produce.

You come across as very self-centred and selfish.

Actually, that's you.

And you don't even seem to be able to work out why.
Old April 4th 15, 12:04 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:35:56 +0000, JNugent wrote:

And what about people who aren't online or who find it difficult or
impossible for whatever reason? Or are you making that a requirement now?
Talk about inflicting your own want, want, wants on other people
regardless...

Have you tried to cross the Thames at Dartford recently? Or tried to
drive into Central London Mon-Fri daytimes?

No I haven't. I can't conceive why I would want to do such a thing as I
live nowhere near London. Are you saying you have to pay for this online
as the only option? Somehow I doubt it.

It's the twenty-first century.

So? We are talking about radio and telly. You do not need a mobile phone
or an internet subscription of whatever type to use it, nor do I see why
one should be necessary. I despise all this inter-dependence on services
and don't see why people like you (obviously in London) should dictate to
people in the farthest flung parts of the UK how they should receive their
service.
You come across as very self-centred and selfish.

What on EARTH are you ranting about?

Try reading it.

You have written two posts, each of which is totally devoid of context.

Read and understand the thread then. It's not difficult.

It is impossible to tell what you are trying to say, but that may merely
mean that you don't know either.

It's fairly obvious. I can't help it if you are thick and unable to follow.
Old April 4th 15, 10:06 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 04/04/2015 01:04, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

JNugent wrote:

[...]

I have done so.

Your ramblings are incoherent.

As was said earlier:

You have written two posts, each of which is totally devoid of context.

Read and understand the thread then. It's not difficult.

I am not here to do your bidding. If you wish to be read and understood,
write something coherent. You have failed in that task so far.

As was said earlier:

It is impossible to tell what you are trying to say, but that may merely
mean that you don't know either.

It's fairly obvious. I can't help it if you are thick and unable to follow...

....your ranting.